News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: Austin Golf Club
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »
Okay...I was thinking..not a ball breaker that is not how I see Austin CC  at least not back tees and scorecard in the pocket, it has at least six holes that are exactly ball breakers, waiting for disaster to occur, hence my previous great teas of golf comments.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 11:46:06 AM »
Michael,

I'm talking about Austin Golf Club, not Country Club.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »
I like them both but the Golf Club is certainly alot more friendly to play

Lou_Duran

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
With CPC ass near to the feel you get at the better English clubs as I have come across in the US.

Huh?  English, please.

As to C & C's course at Barton Creek, I read something by one of the two not long ago (probably Ben) that suggested some remorse over the results.  Perhaps they'll have the opportunity to come back some day and push it more toward its potential.  I'm a big fan of the boys and BC-Cliffside is at the bottom of my list by a good margin (and, from what I am told, the least played of the four courses at the resort).

Regarding Austin CC, it is a polarizing course at what appears to be a great club.  Jay Flemma once deemed it on this site to be "among the best" courses in Texas.  The peripatetic Wardo notes nearby that it is "onen of the worst 5 courses i have ever played" (I suspect that there are some here who believe both assessments are accurate).  I think there is consensus on its difficulty, which makes it very different than Austin Golf Club, a very playable, enjoyable "walk in the park".

Mark Pearce

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
With CPC ass near to the feel you get at the better English clubs as I have come across in the US.
Huh?  English, please.
Both CPC and AGC had, from my one visit to each, a very relaxed, almost intimate atmosphere about them that reminded me of a place like Swinley Forest.  No grandiose statements, no vast monolithic clunhouses, just changing rooms that are big enough, enough space in the clubhouse.  No standing on ceremony.  Clubs that are comfortable in their own skin and don't need to make any statement to the outside world.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for the clarification.  There are a number of great courses where I wouldn't feel comfortable being a member of the club.  CPC and AGC are two where I would (too bad that the feeling might not be mutual!).  Another one is Champions in Houston.  Interesting that you noted Swinley Forest.  It is a course that Lynn S put on a "wish list" for the Buda next year, and now near the top of mine as well.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
i admittedly played ACC before I became active on this site and either a golf snob, insufferable critic, or discerning reviewer of our hallowed ground.

However I recall the most insanely placed waterfall,  on the top of the largest on property hill/mtn where my Longhorn geology training was not even necessary to tell that was all wrong; a hole with a huge roadcut slot cut out of the side of hill for the fairway to complete this forced routing; rotting RR sleepers with shit growing out of the cavities holding  awkwardly angled fairways up, "Mtn" holes and linksy holes forced together with utterly blind shots required in an already schizo setting,  more blind hollows next to narrow ridgetop greens, more sleepers. Does all this sound like fun?

Sorry about the provenanace mixup
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 04:18:48 PM »
Yeah...thats the place ;D...have to agree 100% with the waterfall.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »
Lou

I love it when you talk dirty to me like that
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 09:11:10 PM »
Played 45 holes today at AGC(Golf Club) so I guess that would answer most questions about how I like the place.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »
Played 45 holes today at AGC(Golf Club) so I guess that would answer most questions about how I like the place.

And I bet you walked all 45!   I have seen you in action with those long legs.  

JLahrman

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »

Yeah well it helps when he only walks the yardage that's on the card. A 6500 yard course is about an 8500 yard walk for me these days.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:47 PM »
What is everyone's favorite hole at AGC?

Paul Jones

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 07:18:50 AM »
I loved short Par 3 on the back - 12 or 13 maybe?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 09:57:15 AM »

Cannot lie, I rode.

Paul:
I think you are confused on the holes.  Are you thinking of Innocence, #8?

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Lou_Duran

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »

I have seen you in action with those long legs.  

You know, personal stuff like this has no place on this site.  ???

Paul Jones

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
Yes, Innocence.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Jones

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »

Paul:

I just need to play it again next time I'm in town :) to get my numbering straight.  Maybe get a 4-some with J.B. and P.T.

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Lou_Duran

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »

Cannot lie, I rode.

Paul:

Another way that Texas golf differs from coastal CA's, carts are OK and you often play as much golf as you like on a single day.  We played 90 holes in 2.5 days this past weekend near Houston- walked only 18.

Oh, Innocence, you got me bad the first time this year.  The hole fits perfectly at AGC, where a number of holes have a lot more going on than is readily apparent.

JLahrman

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 10:47:21 AM »
I just need to play it again next time I'm in town :) to get my numbering straight.  Maybe get a 4-some with J.B. and P.T.

It does seem like it's later in the round. Because #6 returns to the clubhouse it's easy to think that you're on the back nine the first time you play #8. It is indeed a fun hole, particularly if you miss the green where you're not supposed to (like I did).

I also liked #2, #5, #6, #13, and #17. However, that's based on one round. The course is so subtle that I suspect it will really grow on a player upon multiple plays. So if I have the good fortune to play a few more rounds at AGC, it would not surprise me if my favorite holes would wind up being completely different.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
I'm intrigued by the commentary and would love to see some photos. Does anyone have any?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
I'm intrigued by the commentary and would love to see some photos. Does anyone have any?

There are some photos in a gallery here (including the par 3 being discussed)...
http://www.coorecrenshaw.com/portfolio.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back