News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Topp's Travels 2011 - Updated in Post 191 - Wrap Up
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »

On your second point, certainly you jest.  116 people?  You really counted?

Lou - I could identify 116.  I suspect the actual number is a bit larger.

Eric Smith

« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »
Yep, been a fun thread to follow Jason. Thanks for sharing. BTW, did you travel to India with your wife as well?

Edit - I reread the page 1 post.

Interesting enough, my wife went there this year - for 16 days! Adding up my golf trips I spent 18 days away without having to put up a fight. Thank you India!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:17:51 PM by Eric Smith »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #202 on: December 22, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
Jason,

Believe it or not Sam and I are going to be partners at The 5th Major. Can you imagine us playing against another team on the course?  I think the over/under for somebody taking a swing at one of us is probably the 8th hole.  Happy Holidays.  

What the hell? People like me, it's not my fault that you're a dick.

I meant our pace of play genius.

You're very standoffish, I saw your post earlier. ;D

It is this sort of enlightened discourse that has made the year a pleasure. 

You will never think of Sweet-n-Lo in the same way.

Jason Topp

« Reply #203 on: December 22, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
Yep, been a fun thread to follow Jason. Thanks for sharing. BTW, did you travel to India with your wife as well?

Edit - I reread the page 1 post.

Interesting enough, my wife went there this year - for 16 days! Adding up my golf trips I spent 18 days away without having to put up a fight. Thank you India!

The make up trip - always a solid fundamental strategy for the married golf traveller.  Claire travels to some great destinations for work.  I am hoping that, once the kids are out of the house, I will be able to create some win/win trips where she earns money and I spend it.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #204 on: December 22, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
Weather comes second.  It was not the best year on that front.  I played in 31.6 degree weather with snow flurries and in 96 degree heat with a dew point of 82. 

And both of those were in Minnesota, right?

Jason Topp

« Reply #205 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:37 PM »
Weather comes second.  It was not the best year on that front.  I played in 31.6 degree weather with snow flurries and in 96 degree heat with a dew point of 82. 

Yes.  I was about 50/50 on the road. It was cold in Florida, Texas and Virgina.  It was nice in Hawaii, Utah, Iowa and Mississippi.   

Dan Kelly

« Reply #206 on: December 22, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »

I learned the following while writing this thread:
1.    Writing is tough
10.   I am very lucky to be married to someone that allows me to do all this stuff.

Jason --

I think these are in the wrong order!

It's been fun playing with you, dining with you, and following along on your travels.

Thanks.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »

What Fazio course is in the background of your final picture?

Lou, that's not a Fazio course. It's a Trump.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2011, 04:53:29 PM »
Good work Jason. I'm happy to have been part of the 116.

Shane Wright

« Reply #209 on: December 22, 2011, 05:04:35 PM »
Jason,

I second the sentiments.  I really enjoyed playing with you this year and following your travels.  Definitely do another 2012 version.

Shane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2011, 10:37:12 PM »

Virginia, the Dixie Cup.  I played two rounds where I never felt my hands.    Tough on the short game!

Jason Topp

« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2011, 11:54:56 PM »

Virginia, the Dixie Cup.  I played two rounds where I never felt my hands.    Tough on the short game!

Bill

I actually had a colder day in Minnesota.  It was an interclub match or else I would not have played. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2011, 06:57:18 AM »

Bill

I actually had a colder day in Minnesota.  It was an interclub match or else I would not have played. 

Real golfers are tough!

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2011, 07:10:08 AM »
Based on that drive from Oak Ridge to Spencer, IA, I wish it would have been 115.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »

What Fazio course is in the background of your final picture?

Lou, that's not a Fazio course. It's a Trump.

We are a golf architecture website, not a business journal, Rick.  Of course I recognized that it must have been part of the Trump International franchise, though it looks like the clubhouse will need a complete redo to meet the owner's standards.  The site just screams Fazio to me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:58:07 AM by Lou_Duran »

Steve Lang

« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »
 8) Jason,

Claire must see some redeeming value.. :o

Was good to see you again in Biloxi.. have a great 2012 !
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jason Topp

« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2011, 02:45:48 PM »
Based on that drive from Oak Ridge to Spencer, IA, I wish it would have been 115.

New Years resolution fpr you - learn to drive a stick shift.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #217 on: December 24, 2011, 06:53:29 AM »

Just to defend ourselves...fall is usually great golf here.  Sometimes winter.  I played Providence again yesterday with my two sons and a neighbor wearing shorts and short sleeves.  Just a freaky late Oct storm for the DC...but a great time.  Thanks for the fun reading Jason and hope to get to join you again in 2012!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2011, 07:09:03 PM »
FYI - Topp's Travels have come south of the border.

Be kind Jason - better times ahead.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »
FYI - Topp's Travels have come south of the border.

Be kind Jason - better times ahead.

Ask him what he calls his wifes car.

Jason Topp

Re: Topp's Travels 2011 - Updated in Post 191 - Cabo Coda
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2012, 05:05:41 PM »
Due to a change in work schedule, I was able to join my family for a final trip in 2011.  Thanks to the fun of holiday travel and a mechanical problem we spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day flying from Minneapolis to Phoenix to Salt Lake City to Atlanta to Cabo San Lucas.  I appreciated Pat Mucci’s link to the Norad Santa tracker so that I could make sure we did not collide during the night.

The Cabo area has endured a number of challenges to its tourist business – (1) the economy; (2) the H1N1 scare (3) Violence in other areas of Mexico and (4) a lack of rainfall resulting in decreased quality irrigation water.  While these factors are tough for the locals, they also provide opportunity for us to experience a wonderful destination that is eager to attract visitors.

A thrill during the trip involved catching a Striped Marlin in the Sea of Cortez with my son.  My experience with such fishing was limited to watching old Wide World of Sports episodes involving B-List celebrities in very short shorts.    In real life, Marlin fishing is more akin to hunting.  You drive around looking for a fin and then throw out bait to entice the trophy.  Our first target got away within minutes.  Our second was a shark that put up a ferocious fight before figuring out how to bite the line.  

Our third attempt was the charm.  After getting the marlin near the boat 3 times, I allowed my son to wrestle with the thing.  It took him about 15 minutes to get the job done.  The captain encouraged us to keep the fish for a trophy and we agreed.  I quickly regretted that decision with the dull thud of a club against the head of such a magnificent creature.  The captain then urged us to have the fish mounted as a trophy.  The Captain was quite vague about the cost but given my new status as a murderer I knew I was stuck.  I paid a hefty deposit and read the fine print later – both the cost and the fact that the trophy would likely be a replica ensured this trophy will serve the purpose of providing a memory learned the hard way.  Nonetheless, pictures like this temper the guilt:

During the trip I played one round at the Ocean Course at Cabo del Sol.  The Ocean Course is a fabulous experience, made the more so by an opportunity to meet the Director of Golf – our own Greg Tallman.   The Ocean Course presents a unique experience of desert golf with ocean views.  The 18th is a serious contender for one of the best closing holes anywhere.  It is around 430 yards along the beach with a green that bears some resemblance to the 17th at the Old Course.  

Ran’s write up is a wonderful overview.   http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/mexico/cabodelsol2/

These pictures of the 18th are stolen from him:

Tee shot:

Approach:

I strategically handled this hole by hitting my tee shot on the beach, a recovery shot on the back portion of the green and then four putting.  It was an appropriate finish to a wildly inconsistent year of golf.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:09:34 PM by Jason Topp »

PCCraig

Re: Topp's Travels 2011 - Updated in Post 220 - Cabo Coda
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
Congrats on the big catch Jason! I'm assuming you're having it stuffed and placing it on your office wall? ;)
H.P.S.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »
Office wall?

No, that's certainly worthy of a spot over the fireplace in the living room.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »
I have a couple of faux mounted marlins about the size of Jason's catch that I recently picked up at a garage sale.  Unlike Jason's fish there are no missing rays on the dorsal fin.  I'll take $39 each if anybody wants one.  I'll even throw in a free GCA.com 5th anniversary poster.  Let me know.

Bogey
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:33:05 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »
Jason,
         From firsthand experience in Cabo, in 2002, I can tell you that the price of said mount of the marlin will most likely increase at least once before it arrives. Delayed. 
         Mine, my first marlin, arrived in a large wooden crate left outside my garage in a rain or snowstrorm by the carrier. Don't think it was UPS or FedEx as the crate was so large, I believe it was a (tractor trailer) freight carrier. Nonetheless, I have it in my office proudly displayed. However, since then, catch and release. But congrats, it was an amazing experience for me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back