News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: Cypress Point back on the PGA Tour?
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 02:25:15 AM »
I don't think it is the "ultra-exclusivity" of CPC at issue (nor do I think the ANGC analogy is particularly apt as ANGC hosts their own tournament, not a PGA Tour event), at least not in the general understanding of "ultra-exclusivity."  The PGA Tour, and for good reason, implemented an Anti-discriminatory policy after the fall-out over the all white club Shoal Creek.  Without any minority members at the time, CPC wasn't able to comply.  

Even though I was a young kid at the time, Cypress Point, along with ANGC and Pebble Beach are the three courses I recall the most from watching tournaments on TV.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Pat Burke

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 03:32:18 AM »
Have had the opportunity to play CPC quite a few times, the last about 2 years ago.
My rounds played have been under 20 for almost all of the past 10 years, so rusty only begins to describe
the normal state of my game.
My last 3 rounds were 66,72,68(I think).
The 72 was with very poor ball striking, but pretty good survival skills
The 66 was my first round, at that time, in 4+ months.  I do not search out playing at all, but CPC is one of my 3
favorites in the world, and the invite got me excited.  Through 12 holes, I was 6 under, and had hit a bunch of good shots.  Messed up #9, with a bogey, but all in all solid.  Hadn't walked a round in 2 years, and was gassed after 12, and hit some sloppy shots through 15.  Got to sit for a bit on 16, and hit a well rested 3 iron for a birdie! 
66 was more inspiration at being there as far as I'm concerned, but if a field of current players faced the same windless conditions, I'm afraid there would be some monster runs of birdies.  I don't personally mind that, but in many eyes it would somehow diminish their opinion of CPC. 
As I have said before in here, courses like CPC are too short for the tour.  GOOD!  They do not need to play it, go play somewhere else.  Just don't screw up this (or other great courses trying to stay relevant for less than 1% of the golf world).  CPC is still inspirational enough for me, and any of the "real" golfers I have had the fortune of playing with in the "kingdom". 

Kyle Harris

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »
    And Merion shouldn't host an Open.  Come on.  Letting "the people" see it (including me) would be a nice thing.  "Private gettaway," "best left to examine classic golf architecture,""hallowed ground,"  "aura."  Puhleeese.   Can you spell e.l.i.t.i.s.t.? 

+1
+2
+3

I cornered Jordan over Facebook about his post. There's enough information, both online and in print, that the club really isn't holding back any secrets that would be exposed if it held the tour stop.

Low score's don't kill auras, just egos.

My post had nothing to do with low scores.  I'm sure there could be scores in the high 50's, barring a perfectly calm day.  That has nothing to do with why I wouldn't want to see the Tour going back.

Cypress is such a special place.  On the course you are usually by yourself and one with nature.  And, that is part of what makes the place so magical.  Hosting a tournament would not only take away that feeling, but it would prompt players to focus on scoring low instead of appreciating the golf course.  Not that there is anything wrong with scoring low, but focusing primarily on that takes away what makes Cypress special.  I understand why people would want to see the Tour going to Cypress, and admittedly if I had never seen the place I would probably feel the same way.  However, I hold strong to my opinion, even if it might seem selfish.  Those who have been to Cypress understand.

So no one would be interested in seeing how the top-level of play integrates with the architecture? We're all predisposed to think the tour players would tear the place up. Why? Why ACTUAL DATA is there to support this claim?

Sorry Jordan, your argument still wreaks of have and have-not. Like I said before, don't be so arrogant to assume that the communal feeling one gets with nature is only exclusive to people who have played Cypress Point. Furthermore, this isn't a "paved paradise and put up a parking lot" situation. Should the club wish to host the tour, they would not lose the feeling you so cherish.

The members at Aronimink sure didn't.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »
Jordan Cox recently shot 63 at Cypress Point. 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »

Steve,

Is this chap the Stanford tennis player?

Was the round played in a social context? Were any putts conceded? No matter what, it must have been quite an exhibition.

Bob

Mark Pearce

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »
Jordan,

Do you feel that courses such as Muirfield, Prestwick, Royal St Georges and Swinley Forest have lost their aura since they allowed members of the public to play easily?  Have Muirfield and RSG made it worse by continuing to host the Open?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike Benham

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »
 Without any minority members at the time, CPC wasn't able to comply.  

They weren't able to or did CPC make the decision to not divulge their membership details and the PGA Tour had no choice but to leave?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Eric Franzen

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »

Steve,

Is this chap the Stanford tennis player?

Was the round played in a social context? Were any putts conceded? No matter what, it must have been quite an exhibition.

Bob

He is (or perhaps was?) on the Stanford golf team. Saw him play together with Eldrick during one of the practice rounds at The US Open - Torrey Pines. Remember a very technically sound swing, for whatever that is worth...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:05:07 PM by Eric Franzen »

Anton

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 03:09:30 PM »
I'm sure that 'if' CP was back in the rotation you would see a whole mix of scores.  A lot (naturally) depends on the weather conditions.  The par 5s I feel would be easy pickings for the pros due to the length.  Of course (as with an AM course) missing the target areas could yield big numbers.  The par 4s are so diverse that lots of birdies and bogeys would be posted.  I would love to see the pros battle the tiny greens at 8+9.  Talk about risk/reward.  A guy like Dustin Johnson could hit an iron down to the 9th green but would he have the accuracy needed to make it a birdi opp?  The par 3s would of course be a feast for the eyes on national TV.  15 and 16 by the sea and 7 in the dunes would make for some wonderful action.  But one thing that I didnt hear from anyone on this post is that CP may not be equipped anymore to host the number of spectators associated with a modern tour event.  the logistics of running it over such a small property with homes around and just being land locked in there.  Spyglass is a bit more open, Pebble is used to it, and Mont Penn is a 36 hole facility so space is plentiful.   

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions. 
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

erichunter

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:45 PM »
Monterey seems to be a favorite amongst the pros now and a good fit for the championship.  Spyglass and Pebble bring enough star power to the event so "IF" the opportunity came along for some strange reason to let Cypress Point back into the rotation of courses for the AT&T.....I say keep the doors closed. 

Are you implying the Pro-Am draws a good field or a better field than recent years?  At first glance, I count about 10 of the top 50 in the world.  Is that a good field?  http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/rankings/default.sps  Obviously Dubai pays $$$ for their top heavy field but there are a lot of guys who aren't playing in either tournament and some who have played the Pro-Am in the past but no longer.  MPCC alleviated some gripes about Poppy but I don't see a substantial difference (pre- and post- MPCC).  I'm not sure the tournament will ever reclaim its past storied history because the professionals do not like the long(er) rounds due to the amateurs.  Take Phil off this week's field and it is dangerously close to Hope level in quality. 

I love Monterey, the golf courses (save for MPCC - haven't played) and make it a point to watch every year (and would watch wall-to-wall if CPC re-joins) but outside of 1,500 nutcases I'm not sure Cypress would make a difference to the tournament or the quality of field. What does CPC stand to gain by opening the gates? 

Also, I believe it was Beaman not Finchem who was in charge when the TOUR came down on CPC and Butler National (Western) following Shoal Creek. 

Ted Cahill

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 08:24:32 PM »
    And Merion shouldn't host an Open.  Come on.  Letting "the people" see it (including me) would be a nice thing.  "Private gettaway," "best left to examine classic golf architecture,""hallowed ground,"  "aura."  Puhleeese.   Can you spell e.l.i.t.i.s.t.? 
Amen
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Jim Jackson

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 08:50:41 PM »
A logistic issue at CPC:

- limited viewing areas: basically, there's nowhere for a fan to view the action (and not decimate the dunes) from 6 fairway to 10 fairway.  That's missing some of the meat of the course.  Plus, I just don't see much space around 15/16 tee.  Even if there was a way to pack in the fans, that would be some serious destruction to sensitive areas, as I'm sure it would be the most highly attended of the 4 venues.

Anton

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »
Oh yeah!  the field strength has struggled in recent yrs.  I think that a big TV viewing complaint that I have is as follows: too many damn commercials and not enough of the big showbiz guys.  Seems to really turn into more about the CEOs and big business guys now a days.  Although I gotta hand it to the FED-EX VP that nearly holed out on 12 today at PB.  Great shot. 

A huge shot in the championship's arm would be if Dustin Johnson did the 3-peat!  He is fast becoming a star out on tour and now he has a hot celeb on his arm in N. Gulbis.  If he was to win it may fuel a bit more of a fire out there. 

A schedule change, which was kicked around before in yrs past, would greatly help as well.  The event just has had too many weather issues and a summer or fall date would really spark interest.  Heck, ditch East Lake for the Tour Champ and move it to Pebble.  30 man field, prime weather, and an easier way to spread out the groups in the Pro Am.  Just a thought.  But they gotta do something to rebuild the event and bring the top players back out. 
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

Tom Birkert

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »
I think Cypress Point is amazing as it is, and I wouldn't like to see it coming under pressure to see it changed if the pros were shooting ridiculously low scores.

I don't think there's enough space for the spectators either.

I thought MPCC looked fantastic last year, would be wonderful to play it when I'm there in May to see how it compares to Pebble and Cypress Point.

The whole area is just beautiful.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back