News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anton

Cypress Point back on the PGA Tour?
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:50:35 PM »
If the opportunity arose to bring Cypress Point back to the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, would you be in favor of it?

As much as I am intrigued by Cypress and its wonderful scenery, strategy, and design.....I would not like to see back on Tour.  I feel that it is best left as Pebble's private getaway.  I fear that it would lose its luster and become not as distinguished.  I love the fact that Poppy Hills is out of the rotation.  While I think it is a fine course for resort play, it just wasnt a good tourney course.  Monterey seems to be a favorite amongst the pros now and a good fit for the championship.  Spyglass and Pebble bring enough star power to the event so "IF" the opportunity came along for some strange reason to let Cypress Point back into the rotation of courses for the AT&T.....I say keep the doors closed. 
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

Joel_Stewart

Re: Cypress Point back on the PGA Tour?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:59:04 PM »
CPC is not a course for championship golf anymore.  It is best left as a course to examine classic
 golf course architecture.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »
A question for those in the area with "their ear to the ground": just what do the numerous pros who play CP during AT&T week shoot? Are we talking close to 59 or does the course yield few scores lower than 66?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »
I do not feel this even has a 1% chance of happening, so it is all about nothing. Cypress would be fun to watch but I do feel it would be fun to watch the best play there.

Anton

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
Every year you hear the stories of pros getting a round or 2 on CP.  I havent heard scores lately but I remember in (i believe) 2008 reading on a pga news blog that a few pros played a windy afternoon round there and CP took its toll on all the players egos.  Phil Mick, Rocco, Weir, and a host of others were involved in the little competition.  The comments afterward were said to be that CP could hold its own and the scores reflected such. 

I do enjoy catching glimpses of CP on the overhead shots of the area.  very cool!

JMEvensky

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »

A question for those in the area with "their ear to the ground": just what do the numerous pros who play CP during AT&T week shoot? Are we talking close to 59 or does the course yield few scores lower than 66?

I'm not in the area but know a few guys who play there during the AT&T.Absent serious wind,it's a par 67.I think Pat Burke has commented on playing there and implied much the same.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:12:02 PM »
The lowest score by  Professional Golfer at Cypress is Gay Brewer, who had a 62 with Lift, Clean and Place in effect

The Course Record is 63 by Adam Scott, Jim Langley and Casey Reamer, the latter two being the Club's Head Professionals. I do believe there may have been another guy by the name of Hogan but I am not sure of its validity.

Bob

Anton

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:20:45 PM »
Ken Venturi & Harvie Ward, and two professional players, Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson held "The Match" there in 1956.  Net scores 57 to 58 in the team match up.  Hogan dropped a bird on 18 to put his team 1-up.  I know its not individual scores but apparently pins were getting knocked down during that round.

Monterey Penn makes a nice addition to the tourney if you ask me. 

JMEvensky

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »
Ken Venturi & Harvie Ward, and two professional players, Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson held "The Match" there in 1956.  Net scores 57 to 58 in the team match up.  Hogan dropped a bird on 18 to put his team 1-up.  I know its not individual scores but apparently pins were getting knocked down during that round.

Monterey Penn makes a nice addition to the tourney if you ask me. 

The poster above you,Bob Huntley,along with others,would take issue with the new-found total recall of the sources in The Match.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:10:09 PM »
I think Cypress would work best as an off-season match play event course.

How awesome would it be to see the best in the world tee it up there and go at holes like #9. Par wouldn't matter one iota!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 01:18:02 PM »
The acceptance of Cypress Point on the Tour rotation is probably directly tied to that person's assumption as to whether or not every event on tour constitutes a "championship."

Jordan Wall

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »
Cypress Point is hollowed ground and I think it should stay sacred; with the PGA not coming back.  Part of it's aura is the fact that so few get to experience it, so while it is a place I wish every serious golfer could see, lots of its magic comes from the fact that almost none get to do so.

The course record of 63 is a sentiment to how excess yardage does not outweigh classic golf course design in terms of difficulty.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 01:42:05 PM »
Cypress Point is hollowed ground and I think it should stay sacred; with the PGA not coming back.  Part of it's aura is the fact that so few get to experience it, so while it is a place I wish every serious golfer could see, lots of its magic comes from the fact that almost none get to do so.

The course record of 63 is a sentiment to how excess yardage does not outweigh classic golf course design in terms of difficulty.

Rub our noses in it, why don't ya?  

In all seriousness, it was neat to hear of your experiences throughout the summer while you caddied there.  Thanks for sharing some insight to such a special place.

It would be great to see it back on the schedule, but I'm with Jordan on this one.  Maybe it's better to leave things as is.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Kyle Harris

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 01:52:11 PM »
Jordan,

Have you become one of those hollow Earth theorists?

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »
I think Cypress would work best as an off-season match play event course.

How awesome would it be to see the best in the world tee it up there and go at holes like #9. Par wouldn't matter one iota!

It would be the ultimate venue for Shell's Wonderful World of Golf
A Women's Match Play Event ... ?

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 04:01:06 PM »
    And Merion shouldn't host an Open.  Come on.  Letting "the people" see it (including me) would be a nice thing.  "Private gettaway," "best left to examine classic golf architecture,""hallowed ground,"  "aura."  Puhleeese.   Can you spell e.l.i.t.i.s.t.? 

astavrides

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 04:04:01 PM »
    And Merion shouldn't host an Open.  Come on.  Letting "the people" see it (including me) would be a nice thing.  "Private gettaway," "best left to examine classic golf architecture,""hallowed ground,"  "aura."  Puhleeese.   Can you spell e.l.i.t.i.s.t.? 

+1

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »

+1
+2
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kyle Harris

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »

+1
+2
+3

I cornered Jordan over Facebook about his post. There's enough information, both online and in print, that the club really isn't holding back any secrets that would be exposed if it held the tour stop.

Low score's don't kill auras, just egos.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 05:14:02 PM »
I recall hearing the pros that do get invited over during the week are practically giddy about playing there. To me, that says a lot about its specialties. If it were returned to the rota that special feeling could be in jeopardy. I just can't imagine the members would want all the havoc associated with holding a regular tour event. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »

I'm not in the area but know a few guys who play there during the AT&T.Absent serious wind,it's a par 67.I think Pat Burke has commented on playing there and implied much the same.

JME,

Although the course is short by today's PGA Tour standards I don't think that it really would play like a par 67. The par 3's are not that difficult, as a very short hitter I hit 3 iron on 3 and 7, 7 iron on 15 and driver on 16; hit each green and two putted for par. The short par 4's, 8 & 9 are driveable but bring really big numbers into play for anything less than a perfect shot. Although the other par 4's would be a wedge fest for them I still think they would hold their own. But the par 5's are, I think, the strength of the course; I know they killed my score. Although they are all short enough to be reached in 2 shots, they will demand precise ones, with much longer clubs in hand; again a recipe for big numbers if you get just a little too greedy. To think that 63 is still the course record speaks volumes.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jordan Wall

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 09:01:32 PM »

+1
+2
+3

I cornered Jordan over Facebook about his post. There's enough information, both online and in print, that the club really isn't holding back any secrets that would be exposed if it held the tour stop.

Low score's don't kill auras, just egos.

My post had nothing to do with low scores.  I'm sure there could be scores in the high 50's, barring a perfectly calm day.  That has nothing to do with why I wouldn't want to see the Tour going back.

Cypress is such a special place.  On the course you are usually by yourself and one with nature.  And, that is part of what makes the place so magical.  Hosting a tournament would not only take away that feeling, but it would prompt players to focus on scoring low instead of appreciating the golf course.  Not that there is anything wrong with scoring low, but focusing primarily on that takes away what makes Cypress special.  I understand why people would want to see the Tour going to Cypress, and admittedly if I had never seen the place I would probably feel the same way.  However, I hold strong to my opinion, even if it might seem selfish.  Those who have been to Cypress understand.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 11:30:23 PM »
I don't really understand this logic.

Should we also say that we should never hold a tourney at Augusta National either?  That course is beyond ultra exclusive and is also world class like CPC.

Just wonderin'

P.S.  Don't forget, CPC was on the PGA Tour for several years, so its not like it hasn't "been there, done that"

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 12:09:14 AM »
CPC has done its job. It hosted the tournament for years with no regard for reward. It is only when the pooh bahs of the PGA went all ga ga about membership rules and regulations to appease the hoi polloi that they felt that enough was enough. Finchem et al issued a dictat that was an assault on a Club's right to determine who could, or not, be a Member. CPC answered with a reasoned response with which Finchem had no answer.

Bob

Chris Kane

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 02:15:52 AM »
Cypress is such a special place.  On the course you are usually by yourself and one with nature.  And, that is part of what makes the place so magical.  Hosting a tournament would not only take away that feeling, but it would prompt players to focus on scoring low instead of appreciating the golf course.  Not that there is anything wrong with scoring low, but focusing primarily on that takes away what makes Cypress special.  I understand why people would want to see the Tour going to Cypress, and admittedly if I had never seen the place I would probably feel the same way.  However, I hold strong to my opinion, even if it might seem selfish.  Those who have been to Cypress understand.
So did hosting the Crosby until 1990 (?) ruin all of this Jordan?
I have no doubt your position would be different if you hadn't seen the place in person.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back