News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Riverside Golf Course - Portland, Maine
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:32:15 PM »
Received the following email from Harris Golf today:

Riverside Golf Course is a genuine product of "Golf's Golden Age"--designed by the great Wayne Stiles, an architect often compared equally in the world of golf course architecture to names like Donald Ross, A.W. Tillinghast and Alister MacKenzie.

But the Golden Age of Golf was a long time ago, and Riverside is today a shadow of its former self. A world-class port city like Portland deserves a world class municipal golf course-- so we created a plan and established a vision for what Riverside could be again. That "manifesto" was submitted to the Portland City Council-- and the story was then picked up by the Portland Press Herald.

Many people have now read the published articles in the paper-- but we wanted you, the "insiders" on our mailing list, to have the full story of our dream for Riverside. We want to share our passion for what Riverside once was... our disappointment with what it is today... and our excitement for what we believe it can once again become. 

Click here to download the Riverside Golf Course Proposal. 

This document includes a narrative of Riverside's history... its place in the history of golf in America... as well as renderings of a proposed Clubhouse update and course restoration maps.
It is far too soon to know if the City of Portland will move forward with a plan like ours-- or if our company will even be the ones to implement such an undertaking. For now, it is enough to know that attention is being turned to the future and preservation of this important facility. If bringing "the Riverside Question" to public light is all that our proposal accomplishes... we'll be well satisfied.

Yours in Golf,

The Clubs of Harris Golf 

The actual proposal from Harris Golf is here.  Well worth reading.  Talks about Stiles, history of Riverside, the modernization of of classic golf courses  and the current movement of restoration.  Harris Golf is to be saluted: 

www.harrisgolfonline.com/newsletters/riverside.pdf

Travis Dewire

Re: Riverside Golf Course - Portland, Maine
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »
Great post cliff!

Riverside is in desperate need of some help. I was fortunate to play the Greater Portland Open in 05 - not sure if this tournament is still around it was part of the old New England Pro Tour/Cleveland Tour (many different names/sponsors). They had the greens running smooth and pure. The fairways were a struggle, the rough was weak, and the bunkers were penalizing due to their conditions, not by design.

When I learned that this course was a Stiles, I could not believe it. Harris is right in saying that the bunkering no longer reflects Stiles's vision of the property. With that said though, there are a number of great holes still routed, with their original green sites. I'm guessing some of these as original sites, as they are incredible unique and well built, and thought out sites. Their best green sites, really do rival the best in New England. But some have also been lost, or plowed.

Riverside does have some great holes, and a restoration would really help bring this course back to life, and where it once was. Wayne Stiles would be happy with Harris's golf's work.

I also played Penobscot Valley, in 2008 in College. This course rules. Its not long, so you can really light it up if you play smart. But you can also fire a million if you start to struggle. The greens are still difficult to read and play, and the green sites are super. I am not sure if Harris had begun their restoration before I had played there. My guess is not, the bunkers were still in dispair, bad sand, and the shaping had begun to erode. If you ever have the chance, play this hidden gem

Brian Chapin

Re: Riverside Golf Course - Portland, Maine
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »
Thanks for this post!  The project sounds amazing...  Riverside IS an embarrassment as it sits today and frankly I had never considered its significance before reading this.  Hopefully the City accepts the proposal.

Two thoughts:

1.) Because of the topography the golf course is extremely prone to flooding... I'll be interested to see how effectively they can remedy this.
2.) I'll be sad to see the old clubhouse go.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back