News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Shimony

Why Bermuda grass around TPC Scottsdale bunkers?
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:41:30 PM »
Why do the bunkers at TPC Scottsdale have a different type of grass surrounding them?  Is a simply aesthetic?  Does the Bermuda grass make the bunkers faces more penal? 
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Jim Sweeney

Re: Why Bermuda grass around TPC Scottsdale bunkers?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:33:31 PM »
John,

Not to be critical, just accurate, to my knowledge bunker "faces" are part of the bunker, i.e., sand (the "white faces" of Merion, for example.) Yes, announcers refer to the grass slopes outside of bunkers as "faces." They also tell us that the ball has run "through the green," when it has in fact run over or past the green. Oh well.

I am not an agronomist but I don't think there is any agronomic advantage to overseeding the entire couse except for areas surrounding bunkers. That leaves only one reason, as far as I can tell- aesthetics. Looks good on camera.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »
Doesn't bermuda/couch allow for the grass to be mown shorter (ie. fairway height) around the bunker than other types of grass without the lip disintegrating?

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:20:48 PM »
Since the Bermuda is dormant this time of year, would it be cut at fairway height, and if so, wouldn't that create more chance of disintegration rather than less? I could see your assertion being true when the bermuda is growing.

Time for a superintendent to chip in here.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Steve Okula

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 05:49:04 AM »
I haven't been to that particular course, but I would guess that all the roughs and fairways and probably tees and maybe greens are bermudagrass, it's just that the areas immediately around the bunkers are not winter overseeded with ryegrass like the rest of it.

Two reasons: it looks cute, and it reduces maintenance for the winter by eliminating all the finicky mowing and trimming in the tight little areas around the sand.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:20:47 AM »
The Phoenix area is the only place I recall seeing that particular look.  I agree it's for aesthetics but doesn't work for me!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:55:48 AM »
100% aesthetic

John Shimony

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 11:09:49 AM »
From an asthetic point of view they do not work for me either.  They immediately draw my attention on the television screen.  But that may be because of all the aerial shots.  At ground level they may not be as offensive. 
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
Palm Springs does this as well. By keeping the seeders away from the bunkers, there is less of a chance of having ryegrass IN the sand of the bunkers. It also minimizes the need for edging and flymowing as the bermudagrass's growth isalmost non exsistant. I think that is creates a nice definition.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
I attended a meeting in 1991 and the TPC was asked to cut back the overseeding and water use by 10% per year.  Originally the whole property was over-seeded, now you can see less green colour every year.  Eventually only the fairways will be green I suppose.

At the same meeting we were told that it took $3.00 worth of water (based on the rate TPC was paying to draw water from the acquiver) to grow 1 pound of tomatoes which were being sold for less than a dollar.  We argued the amount of money being spent by golfers justified the overseeding but lost.

Maybe someone from TPC could update us.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 02:52:25 PM »
I did not see much of the event. Olympic lake prior to US AM and Open a few years ago changed the grasses around the traps to something a southern man would describe a Saint Augustine. It was horrible to play from no matter the lie. It formed a donut around the traps and did not exist anywhere else on the course. It never made sense to me. It is being taken out now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back