News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie struthers

The Majors Golf Club
« on: February 12, 2002, 01:34:14 PM »
8) 8) 8)

Just returned from sunny Florida, where I was lucky enough to play some golf. Played a small tournament at the Majors Golf Club in Palm Bay, just west of Melbourne. Co-developers of the project are my friends the Fraser family of ACCC fame, Harrison Minchew of  Palmer Golf is the architect.It is a good golf course,with lots of fun holes, and particularly excellent greens.  I would recommend it highly for anyone in the area. Has anyone else out there played it???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Re: The Majors Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 07:18:31 PM »
I remember reading about this project when it was in development stages.  Was there some delay in opening or something?  I kind of lost track of it.

When did it open?

Didnt I read where they wanted to do a theme to correspond with each "Major" at the same time that they were being played.  i.e. they wanted to have US Open logoed flags flying on the course for US Open week, and Augusta flags flying Masters week? Did they ever sort out the legalities of that?

Let me know.

ps ACCC?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John_Conley

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2002, 08:27:33 PM »
I've never taken the time.  Is it worth the 75-min drive?  Haven't ever heard from anyone who has been there.  By comparison, I can get to El Diablo in 90.

archie struthers

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 04:01:38 PM »
Just thought I'd add some more on the Majors. It absolutely is one of my favorite golf courses in Florida, and has a great variety of golf holes. Par threes are varied in length, two of the par fours #8 (check out the revetments) and #15 really make you think about how to play, and the reachable par fives
are great fun. A big tree on #6 blew down, which makes the hole easier, another is replacing it soon.

Every hole has a plaque that honors one of the winners of the major golf tournaments, and the practice facility, which I forgot to mention, is outstanding.

For anyone in the Melbourne, Orlando area, its worth the trip!

ChipOat

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2002, 05:03:53 PM »
Turboe

ACCC = Atlantic City Country Club.  One of the oldest in the Golf Association of Philadlephia.  Women's Open site.

Come to think of it - probably deserves more press on CGA.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 04:02:45 PM »
My father asked me for a golf course recommendation in the Melbourne, Fla., area. I didn't see much on the board regarding Melbourne unless it was in Australia.

But there was this thread about The Majors Golf Club in Palm Bay. Is it worth a play? Are there other courses within 20 minutes of Melbourne that you'd recommend instead?

Thx.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Craig Disher

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
But there was this thread about The Majors Golf Club in Palm Bay. Is it worth a play? Are there other courses within 20 minutes of Melbourne that you'd recommend instead?

Thx.

I've played all the courses around Melbourne except this one. I didn't know it existed so it must be fairly new. My choice would be Habitat. In the golfing wasteland that's Melbourne, it does have some character - and it's not lined with houses. For a quick game I also like Spessard Holland - 18 holes on what can't be more than 70 or 80 acres. It's interesting just to see how the holes were squeezed on the property.

Another course that was highly recommended to me but may be too far away is Harmony Golf Preserve. It's about 40 minutes due west of Melbourne. I haven't played it but based on who recommended it I will the next time I'm in the area.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:39:37 PM by Craig Disher »

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 06:20:18 PM »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 01:01:35 PM »
Craig, thanks for the recommendations on the area courses.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back