News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Nantucket Golf Club?
« on: February 02, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »
I just changed the date on my desk callendar and the hole of the day was at Nantucket Golf Club and they called the course the "ultra-exclusive" club. It doesn't look that great in the picture. Has anyone played this and is it ultra exclusive because of the area it is in or is it a hidden gem?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

George Pazin

Re: Nantucket Golf Club?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:49:31 PM »
Tim, if you can find it, there were some "charming" threads on Nantucket GC back in maybe 2000-2002. Ahhhhhh, the good old days.

Assuming it's the same club I am remembering, it was designed be Rees Jones and drew quite a variety of responses on here.

If I'm remembering the wrong club, apologies to everyone concerned. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »
George,
That's the right club.

Tim,
It's exclusivity does not come from its being a 'hidden gem'.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:02:10 PM »
I've played NGC and much prefer nearby Sankaty Head which I do include in the hidden gem category.  My main issue with NGC was the course didn't have enough width to accomodate for the typical windy conditions on the island.  A few paces off the fairway and you were in ankle high rough.

Most also think a minimalist architect would have created a masterpiece on a very unique piece of property in a high-profile location.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
Forget Nantucket, travel Eastward Ho!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
The old pics are gone but I liked Nantucket more than Atlantic and I really like Atlantic.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,29530.0.

Sure I prefer Sankaty to Nantucket, but they both have their place on the island.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 07:37:28 AM »
There is a good little public links out there too.  Take a look at it.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
Miacomet has turned into a pretty cool design by Howard Maurer.  It used to be a very old and firm course with little in terms of hazards, but it's been redone into an upscale public.

I believe there is also a little, short and ancient 9-holer called Siasconset as well, right near NGC.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
Brad,
Here's most of what anyone would want to know about 'Sconset

http://www.nantuckettodayonline.com/septoct07/slascoset.html

edit: In 2008 the Coffin family listed the course and excess acreage for a sale price of 45 million. Don't know if it ever sold, but the timing doesn't make it probable.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:08:25 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »
Nantucket is a demanding course when the winds really pick up as previously stated.

My issue is that far too often Rees Jones has the same type of "look" to his courses -- they are still
thorough in their demands but often times it feels as if the same type of "look presentation" can be
inserted at whatever location they are building his work. Great case in point -- 3 Creek Ranch in the
Teton Mtn area of WY -- place is dead flat and frankly one could mail that layout and superimpose it
upon what you have at Nantucket.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »
I have played the course and enjoyed the experiience. It a big course on a big piece of property. It is the antithesis of nearby Sankaty Head with all of its quirks.

It costs a bunch to get in and a bunch for annual dues. The cost of a single malt and the cigar offerings would make a Goldman trader blanch.

The biggest story for some time was that one of its founders is doing hard time in the pen.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16672186/ns/business-corporate_scandals/

Bob

Randy Van Sickle

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 06:09:54 PM »
Bob, I love that kind of stuff that you come with!
Can't get back to RDGC soon enough

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back