News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Bice

Time for New Rules?
« on: February 01, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »
A friend alerted me to this article:

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/jan/28/frustrated-taylormade-chief-lobbies-new-rules/

Maybe carts and distance aids are OK in comparison...
"medio tutissimus ibis" - Ovid

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Time for New Rules?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »
I'd say that when your last marketing idea is a white driver you should probably stay out of trying to run the game for the rest of us.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Rob Bice

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:04:11 PM »
How about this quote:

"And the new golf courses that have been built in the last 20 years are all championship courses. Those golf course aren't for you and me. We can't even play the damn things."

The CEO of Taylor Made.  Remarkable.
"medio tutissimus ibis" - Ovid

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:08:15 PM »
Did you read some of the comments via facebook below the article? This Mark King guy is getting blown up! People are threatening to quit forever!

Who knows how serious he was about literally using 15 inch cups and throwing balls, but his point about making the game more fun and finding new ways to make the game easier for beginners at least of the correct mindset... What clubs do you think this guy belongs too?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:40:09 PM »

I wonder if he has ever thought of lowering the price of his equipment? It might help.

Bob

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »

I wonder if he has ever thought of lowering the price of his equipment? It might help.

Bob

Bravo, Mr. Huntley!

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »

Bob

post of the year

golf's not broken, we don't need more people playing golf, just more golfers playing golf.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Parish

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »
Seriously, what is this about?  None of us played our first twenty rounds to a single -digit handicap.  This seems to be a product of a societal need for instant gratification.  Taylor Made’s CEO seems to suggest people should be able to walk on a course, start flinging balls around and post a score which leaves them with whatever low self-esteem they have in-tact.  Do these people he is seeking to entice into the game of golf really need to be highly-skilled from the outset just to maintain their interest.  Frankly, why do we want these people playing golf?   It’s the one or two pure shots a round which have always kept golfers coming back to the game.  The game is not supposed to be easy, and that is what makes it worth playing. 

Let’s make other sports easier too.  I suggest eliminating dribbling from basketball, and let’s make the hoop three feet across.  I really do not see the need for skating in ice hockey, so down with the ice.  Let’s eliminate foul territory from baseball, if you make contact, it’s in play.  Tennis, I see no need for a net, wouldn’t a line work just as well?

I understand the percieved need to grow the game, but growth at the expense of the integrity of the game is simply not worth it.       

JMEvensky

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 04:28:43 PM »
I'm curious if this will cause a backlash.

The self-serving nature of the interview notwithstanding,I wonder if some club or Head Pro will publicly call out TMAG for their CEO's casual disregard for the history of the game.To me,this is more objectionable than Callway's illegal driver (ERC 2?) ads a few years ago.

Presumably,this guy wasn't too concerned about any negative publicity and figures that he's on the side of the little guy.I hope the little guys realize that the only side he's on is TMAG's.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »
Mathew make some good points in his comments , however this one puzzles me.

"I understand the percieved need to grow the game, but growth at the expense of the integrity of the game is simply not worth it."

Do we need to grow the game? For those employed in the golf industry I would say it is a must but for me, as selfish as it seems, I rather like the idea of a casual round without the frenetic activity of the First Tee crowd.

I have yet to find any of my friends in the fly-fishing world encouraging more anglers to their favorite stream.

Bob

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
Taylor Made`s PR people should respond quickly in an effort to reconcile these comments. All I can say is YUK!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 05:05:50 PM »
Mark King started his career w/TaylorMade, moved to Callaway for a short time in the late '90s, and then he went back to TM. Eli Callaway was pissed, sued, and the result was an 'arms' race in the equipment market between the two companies that led to the shortening of product cycles from 2-3 years to 5-6 months, and less than that on occasion.

In my opinion these short cycles have brought all manufacturers right up to the end of the line as far as distance is concerned, and at a much faster rate (at least 4 times) than if they maintained the old cycle. There really aren't many places left for them to go,  therefore, I'd say that the main reason Mark King wants to see rules changes is so his company can start producing non-conforming equipment for those playing under the 'new' non-tournament rules, and I'm sure that all other companies will be forced to follow suit if the rules become bifurcated in the future.

If he doesn't get the rules changes, and he will want changes to the ball and implements, his company can no longer maintain the shortened product cycles for such a large array of products.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:09:22 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »
Mark King started his career w/TaylorMade, moved to Callaway for a short time in the late '90s, and then he went back to TM. Eli Callaway was pissed, sued, and the result was an 'arms' race in the equipment market between the two companies that led to the shortening of product cycles from 2-3 years to 5-6 months, and less than that on occasion.

In my opinion these short cycles have brought all manufacturers right up to the end of the line as far as distance is concerned, and at a much faster rate (at least 4 times) than if they maintained the old cycle. There really aren't many places left for them to go,  therefore, I'd say that the main reason Mark King wants to see rules changes is so his company can start producing non-conforming equipment for those playing under the 'new' non-tournament rules, and I'm sure that all other companies will be forced to follow suit if the rules become bifurcated in the future.

If he doesn't get the rules changes, and he will want changes to the ball and implements, his company can no longer maintain the shortened product cycles for such a large array of products.

In business you either increase revenue or cut costs.

One advantage of being at a limit in technology is the lack of a need for R&D.

Brian Marion

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »

Dead on....

Dale Jackson

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »

1.  I am highly sceptical anytime a CEO of an equipment firm calls for changes in the rules for golf or equipment.  They have a clear interest in profits, the people involved in administering golf have a clear interest in ... well, the game.  I am even more sceptical when the CEO of the company with the shortest product cycles does so.  Starting twenty years ago manufacturers built a new business model based on higher pricing and more rapid replacement of equipment.  That coincided with real advancements in technology that help the average golfer - perimeter weighted irons and titanium woods.  Twenty years later stagnant technology, growing awareness by consumers that they do not need new equipment every year and economic realities that force manufacturers to cut into their profit margins are undermining that business model.  The new realities do not mean the game of golf is adversely impacted, just equipment companies.

2.  He tries to make a correlation between growth in the game and difficulty.  How is that situation different now than it has been for all of golf's history.  It has always been a difficult game, that is what attracts most of us.  Those who are looking for some type of easy walk in the park will never be attracted to golf.

3.  Growth of the game is a mantra that has a visceral attraction but little substance.  All sports, indeed all human undertakings, have ebbs and flows.  We are unquestionably in a low (no) growth phase, 10 - 15 years ago we were in a growth phase.  Some time in the future we will grow again.  How does "growing the game" help the individual golfer?  Other than filling tee sheets it doesn't.  If the numbers of golfers increases or decreases by 5% it doesn't impact any of us one bit.

Real estate developers and others built a glut of golf courses for which there was never a demand and with the economic downturn, that house of cards is now tumbling.  The industry needed a correction and is getting it.  As golfers we need to focus on what we want from the game, how its health is best maintained and how to best pass it on to the next generations.  That is not done by listening to the calls of those whose interests lie in the bottom lines of their companies, not in the game of golf itself.

Golfers (which is not the same as the golf industry) need to realize their game is not under attack, will not disappear and has proven resilient over many economic cycles.  The golf industry, however, is in trouble.  Should we follow those in the industry who are trying to save themselves or should we support the game we love?  I know which way I vote.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 09:28:53 PM »
That's choice! A rant on needing to change the rules, because the game is too difficult from the CEO of a company that produces all that wonderful technology that will make the game easier. Huge driver heads! Which simply teach players to swing out of their shoes, because there is no chance of whiffing! Perimeter weighted irons, so that golfers have no chance of feeling when they have actually made a good swing. I don't know about TaylorMade, but I see Titleist is making irons with improved "feel". How do you make improved feel? The best shots are those that feel sweet. Are you going to make all shots feel sweet? That's a recipe for disaster! No one will be able to tell when they have found the sweet spot.

As far as I am concerned, the greatest advance in golf technology was made by the Ping putter. I no longer had to bend over to pick up my ball. Without that feature the bullseye putter performs the function of a putter just as well.

:P

PS to Alex. See, now I'm after TaylorMade as well!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:30:36 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matthew Parish

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 09:32:37 PM »
Mathew make some good points in his comments , however this one puzzles me.

"I understand the percieved need to grow the game, but growth at the expense of the integrity of the game is simply not worth it."

Do we need to grow the game? For those employed in the golf industry I would say it is a must but for me, as selfish as it seems, I rather like the idea of a casual round without the frenetic activity of the First Tee crowd.

I have yet to find any of my friends in the fly-fishing world encouraging more anglers to their favorite stream.

Bob

Bob,

I do not necessarily disagree with you. I would just as soon have more open tee times at my favorite courses, less crowds, etc.  But unlike the typcial angler's haven, a natural resource that is, in more sacred areas, protected, the economics of use come into play for the courses.  Absent a wealthy benefactor who does not mind throwing away money, courses need play and private clubs need members to keep the proverbial doors open.  I say "perceived" need based really on some recent articles I have read recently indicating the aging of the golfing community as a whole may result in large numbers leaving the game over the next 15-20 years.  And I generallizing here, but some in the industry have expressed concern because the 25-45 crowd is not either taking up the game at the rate which many expected in the years after the Tiger effect took hold.  Being selfish for a second, bottom line, is not necessarily growth I am concerned about as much as it making sure there enough folks taking up the game to keep open the places I want kept open.  

MP

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »

Doug Siebert

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 12:43:10 AM »
Where's he been, most beginners use the hand wedge out of bunkers already!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Alex Miller

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 01:17:05 AM »
That's choice! A rant on needing to change the rules, because the game is too difficult from the CEO of a company that produces all that wonderful technology that will make the game easier. Huge driver heads! Which simply teach players to swing out of their shoes, because there is no chance of whiffing! Perimeter weighted irons, so that golfers have no chance of feeling when they have actually made a good swing. I don't know about TaylorMade, but I see Titleist is making irons with improved "feel". How do you make improved feel? The best shots are those that feel sweet. Are you going to make all shots feel sweet? That's a recipe for disaster! No one will be able to tell when they have found the sweet spot.

As far as I am concerned, the greatest advance in golf technology was made by the Ping putter. I no longer had to bend over to pick up my ball. Without that feature the bullseye putter performs the function of a putter just as well.

:P

PS to Alex. See, now I'm after TaylorMade as well!

Point taken! :D

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 01:49:23 AM »
These concerns have already been addressed. I think they call it disc golf now.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 06:33:37 AM »
golf's not broken, we don't need more people playing golf, just more golfers playing golf.

Yes, this idea of growth is just a mini section of the economy in general.  I spose if enough people spout on about it then more folks will buy it without giving the idea a second thought.  Growing the game just shows how much business has invaded golf and who is really in control of golf's future.  It would seem too many folks make a living out of golf for the clamour to die down, but whats good for the industries of golf ain't necessarily good for golf. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Jordan Caron

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
I have always been under the impression that the reason why people leave the game is the cost and not the difficulty.  Last year I worked at one of the top 5 toughest courses in Canada.  After the 14th hole it has one of the most spectacular views anyone will see.  Part of my job was of course to ask people how their round went.  I would guess that 80% played terrible and found the course too difficult yet still walked off the course with a smile.

I have always taught hundreds of golfers trying to lower their scores.  They'll have it down pat on the range, short game area or on the course and pumped to be seeing some progress.  Almost everyone the very next lesson would go back to the same habits.  They didn't want to practice after the lesson to implement the changes.  They just assumed they had it. 

What I am trying to get across here is that from my experience, close to 70% of golfers could care less what they shoot or if they improve and this goes against what Mark Kings is trying to say.  If some of these changes were to happen, how could you not offend or interrupt golfers who play by the set rules in place now?  You would have to create golf courses catered to these rules changes.   

As a side note, would making the game easier and instituting some of his suggestions speed up pace of play? It would have to wouldn't it?

Philippe Binette

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 01:48:08 PM »
Outside of the comment on lenght, which is accurate... the rest is just delirium

We are in an era of facility.... everything should be easy, done in 2 minutes

Golf is hard and that's the way it's fun...

The reason why people hate sand, because most amateur haven't hit a full bucket of balls in a bunker in their lifetime.
There's a lot of course with too many bunkers, it's true

We are a lazy fat wasteful society... that demands lazy fat wasteful activities.

When people say they would love to play golf like Tiger, it's false... they love the IDEA of playing golf like Tiger, but they would hate the work necessary to get there.

Golf is the greatest game in the world, and when you think that such guy can be a CEO of a company of golf equipment, is just fells like it's the same reason wall street went down.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
Golf is the greatest game in the world, and when you think that such guy can be a CEO of a company of golf equipment, is just fells like it's the same reason wall street went down.

+1
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back