News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

jeffwarne

Re: Tiger's Dubai project suspended
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/31/dubai-tigerwoods-idUSLDE70U1HQ20110131

CNBC reports-"course will be returned to sand"
That's gotta be a record for the fastest restoration
and minimalism to boot-
will nature return it with frilly edges?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Philippe Binette

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
They thought money could be anything... well guess again

Watching a Radio-Canada (the French Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) documentary series on the financial crisis, they went to Dubai and some guy from a big real estate firm was saying they were selling 1 billions $ worth of real estate a week in 2006-2007.

Basically, people were showing up saying, I'd just buy something, anything, I don't care what it is..
Nobody wanted to live there, they just wanted to speculate on the Dubai status.

JLahrman

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »
Architects, when I fly into a desert area and see golf courses from the plane surrounded by sand and scrub, is there any chance that the course is not the water-gobbler that it appears it has to be?

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »
Is anyone surprised by this news?

WW

Joe Grasty

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:01 PM »
More info here, including a slide show of the 6 holes that have been completed.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-01/photos-tiger-dubai#intro

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 11:39:36 PM »
I think they should open it as a 6 hole course. I'm serious, it sounds goofy but the public might be intrigued since it has Tiger's name, they can market it to the busy Dubai professional who doesn't have time for 18 holes.

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:42:16 PM »
Sam,

Funny, I thought the same thing.

On novelty value alone - playing Tiger's first course - it might help them recoup some money.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:49:26 PM »
Sam,

Funny, I thought the same thing.

On novelty value alone - playing Tiger's first course - it might help them recoup some money.

It sounds like stuff that's been talked about on this site, make the game less time consuming.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:59:44 PM »
Joe G,

Thanks for the link to those aerials. I've not seen a better illustration of everything that's wrong with golf than that ghastly series of photos. Look at those trees and grass...ever see a more contrived, unhealthy golf environment in your life. I guess with the Ali-Mansions they were planning to pack in around it like sardines that Sahara aound it would have vanished...guess again. Insert fork, that whole mess there is wasteful and unsustainable. Mankind at our very worst, personified. Nuff said.
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »
Kris:

I guess with the Ali-Mansions they were planning to pack in around it like sardines that Sahara aound it would have vanished...

Tiger's people must be gutted they didn't get started a bit earlier so they could at least get the development to this stage before the bubble burst - makes a delightful backdrop to the first green of a course!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:16:50 AM »
I think there could be a 432 page thread breaking down that greensite.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 08:06:01 AM »
Scott and Sam,

Could there be a more repugnent, modern green-site and backdrop in all of golf? Awful! Even if those domestic bunkers were finished!
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Mark McKeever

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »
Looks like a pretty uninteresting green complex..

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John Foley

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 09:51:26 AM »
So based upon all of this - Dubai looks like toast - the Cliffs course is in limb ( last I heard there was some clearing done, but no earthmoving) the Baja Mexico course appears to be DOA -  isn't the question we should be asking is...

Will Tiger Woods Design ever get a course open in this economic environment?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »
Little surprise:

"Tiger Woods’ golf-course design in Dubai has reportedly been scrapped for good. ArabianBusiness.com reported Tuesday that Dubai Properties Group, a unit of Dubai Holding, has “dissolved” its partnership with Woods, after his signature golf estate was suspended in 2010 amid the economy crisis and never revived."

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/woods-no-longer-involved-with-dubai-golf-course/?cid=twitter_MD_a_woods_dubai_golf_course_070913

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »
Does Tiger have any courses under development?

WW

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »
Does Tiger have any courses under development?

WW

Yes - His course at Diamante here in Cabo should be completed in April or May of 2014

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
Will the Diamante course be the first he "designed" to open?

WW

Greg Tallman

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »
Will the Diamante course be the first he "designed" to open?

WW

Yes it will be

Jim Nugent

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
Greg, do you know how much Tiger did in designing/building the course? 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »
Greg, do you know how much Tiger did in designing/building the course? 

Paul Cowley could chime in with better info but I believe Tiger has been down 6 or 7 times thus far. Paul is there day in and day out on behalf of Diamante so his "input" should be evident throughout the course if you know what I mean.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »
Architects, when I fly into a desert area and see golf courses from the plane surrounded by sand and scrub, is there any chance that the course is not the water-gobbler that it appears it has to be?

Many of the courses in Arizona are irrigated with treated effluent, and still restricted on the amount of irrigated turf and water they use besides. But I have no real idea of how many of the hundreds of courses here do that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back