News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Rumor Mill Cal Club
« on: January 30, 2011, 02:22:33 AM »
I do not think this is a secret. 1. A great job was done on the Cal Club redo. 2. It plays firm and fast. 3. It was done with borrowed money. 4. When times become more challenging the membership did not like the exposure. 5. There are as many or more people trying to get out as in. 6. The Cal Club has a grand history and significant place in golf picture of Northern California.   Ok the rumor. I have not substantiated this through friends at the Olympic Club as yet. A past board member and past member of the Cal Club recapped the above and then told me he was hearing the Olympic Club was in negotiations to buy the Cal Club. It would be an interesting turn in the troubling story of the Cal club.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Rumor Mill Cal Club
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »
I do not think this is a secret. 1. A great job was done on the Cal Club redo. 2. It plays firm and fast. 3. It was done with borrowed money. 4. When times become more challenging the membership did not like the exposure. 5. There are as many or more people trying to get out as in. 6. The Cal Club has a grand history and significant place in golf picture of Northern California.   Ok the rumor. I have not substantiated this through friends at the Olympic Club as yet. A past board member and past member of the Cal Club recapped the above and then told me he was hearing the Olympic Club was in negotiations to buy the Cal Club. It would be an interesting turn in the troubling story of the Cal club.

Tiger,

Put me on the National Membership list fast before the price goes up. I could easily play my "Last Round" in San Francisco at Olympic or Cal Club. However, I still say the Par 3 course is where I would like my Last Round to be.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
You guys just made my mind up for me.

I'm stopping in San Francisco for a couple of days on my way to Australia for the Boomerang. I have an opportunity to play the Cal Club on my one full day there, but couldn't decide if that was the best way to spend my time.

I've never gone wrong following the lead of Messrs. Sweeney and Bernhardt.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Billsteele

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:52:05 AM »
Mike Whitaker-If your guiding lights in life are Mike and TIger, good luck with squash and purple apparel.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
Michael. Great decision. Its amazing how Mr. Phillips was able generate a sense of the good Doctor's work. I especially  thought the front was sublime in that regard. Have fun.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »
Wow!  I find this to be the best track North of Monterey and South of Bandon. On our visit last May we played with a fellow GCAer and his grandfather who was one of the nicest gentlemen you could hope to meet. The clubhouse is pretty spectacular in an Old World way. Great lockerroom and Men's grillroom as well. We also thought being a national member would be a nice situation. My concern was how often I would get to SF to use it. My hope is that nothing will change regarding the quality of the course or clubhouse-felt they had it just right.
                                                                               Jack

Tom Birkert

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
I was blown away by The Cal Club. I will admit to not knowing much of it prior to playing, but what a wonderful surprise, and one of the most innovative modern versions of the Cape hole that I have seen (no. 7 if I recall correctly?).

Not having played SFGC or Olympic I can't compare the three, but it would be interesting to see how they stack up. If the other two are better then I'm salivating at the thought. Hopefully when I'm there in May I'll get to play them.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
I seriously doubt this would happen.

Olympic is swimming in debt themselves, having taken out a crappy loan to rebuild the downtown club a few years ago and then the project went way over the estimated costs.

Furthermore, you have a non equity club (Olympic) buying out an equity club (Cal Club).

I'm not really familiar with any club buying out another, at least in the last 20 years???

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »

I'm not really familiar with any club buying out another, at least in the last 20 years???

http://www.mayfieldsandridge.com/Home.aspx

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 11:35:19 PM »
I spoke with someone today who would be involved if this was happening and he said it had no truth what so ever, and
is complete fiction.

Thank god...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back