News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

O/T 2011 the year Kaymer comes of age.
« on: January 23, 2011, 05:23:17 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/9371007.stm

Currently the man to beat, and tomorrow I'm down to the bookies with my tenner.

I'll be betting he wins two majors this year.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mac Plumart

Re: O/T 2011 the year Kaymer comes of age.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:32:31 PM »
Tony...

I love Mr. Kaymer, but I'll take the under on two majors THIS year.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »
Kaymer's had a hell of a run, and there are more than a few people annointing him as the thebest in the world.

But there's a reason the OWGR rankings are based on a rolling two-year system--a number of players have had absolutely amazing streaks of play that made them look like the best in the world but only a few have sustained that kind of play.

Nevertheless, if Kaymer keeps it up through the summer, he'll deserve to be called the best in the game.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »
He seem's to be the player to beat at the moment, but since June Graeme McDowell is averaging 19 WR points per Tournament. That must be close to Tigers peak.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 06:06:56 PM »
Last three times at Augusta for Kaymer:

Cut, cut and cut.

Two majors is highly optimistic, but he sure was impressive to watch this weekend!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:13:53 PM »
In 2010, Kaymer won the PGA and 3 EuroTour events. He has already come of age.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 01:19:32 AM »
Sure, Kaymer's hot right now and he'll cool off, but don't think this guy will just fade...he'll dominate. Very well-rounded player, mentally, a steel trap. He'll put on a green jacket or two before he's done and a couple more major are probable. Maybe not Tiger numbers, but a Seve, Watson or Hogan like career is certainly possible if he stays healthy.
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 04:08:56 AM »
Tony,

He won a Major last year.  Yesterday he won a tournament he has won twice before on a course he says sets up for him better than any other course he has played.  Why does this weekend, impressive though it was, tell us more than the US PGA last year?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:32:29 AM »
Tony,

I always consider the type of golf course factor. Kaymer loves Abu Dhabi his record in the last four years has been FIRST, SECOND, FIRST, FIRST! The competition organisers have given the trophy to Kaymer permanently. Even Goosen thought that his winning score was ridiculous :)

Cheers
Ben

Phil Benedict

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »
The European event had much more of a big-time feel than the Hope, which felt like a Nationwide Tour event.  I suppose the PGA Tour will be back in ascendence this week with Tiger's return.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »
Kaymer layed in the weeds of the "fanfare" and "expectations" last year.

His PGA win was quite special -- no doubt he has played superb golf and in my mind -- is the #1 player in the world now.

The issue is how he handles "expectations."

When I hear people say the guy is "Tiger like" -- I start laughing out loud. When the guy wins multiple majors in a year and nearly double digit wins worldwide in a season then that talk can start.

Not before.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
Kaymer layed in the weeds of the "fanfare" and "expectations" last year.

His PGA win was quite special -- no doubt he has played superb golf and in my mind -- is the #1 player in the world now.

The issue is how he handles "expectations."

When I hear people say the guy is "Tiger like" -- I start laughing out loud. When the guy wins multiple majors in a year and nearly double digit wins worldwide in a season then that talk can start.

Not before.
Tiger is 3/1 to win in San Diego this week - the bookies certainly have him down as a sure thing...

"sure thing" as in a sure way to waste some money?!

Cannot see TW winning first time out this week.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 12:32:06 AM »

What odds are they giving on that? 

Tony_Muldoon

Re: O/T 2011 the year Kaymer makes the whole world go wow.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
Jim I just got 25:1 from my local William Hill.  I'm sure there's better odd's online but thats not for me thanks.

Mark changed the title for you.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Joe Grasty

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Peter Kessler claims that great golfers come every 10 years.  Interesting that Martin Kaymer is 10 year younger than Tiger.  Kaymer could be a force in golf in the next few years.

Or not.  Golf is a fickle game.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »
Not saying I agree with the bookies! Will be very interesting to watch...

Totally agree Brian, am looking forward to a late night and watching the coverage.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »

He's a hell of a player, but that's a hell of a prediction!  I doubt he will win one, but that's more on a statistical hunch than anything else.  Personally, I'm pulling for GMac to win at least one and for Tiger to win two.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Gareth Williams

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »

He's a hell of a player, but that's a hell of a prediction!  I doubt he will win one, but that's more on a statistical hunch than anything else.  Personally, I'm pulling for GMac to win at least one and for Tiger to win two.

I'm happy to stick my neck out and say that Tiger is done as far as majors goes.....unless he manages to win one this year that is!!!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »
I'm putting all my chips on Louis Oosthuizen.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mike Benham

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »

Kaymer could be a force in golf in the next few years.

Kaymer could be a force but likely he won't be.  As some have noted, Tiger has had a stronghold on the rankings because he wins multiple events year in and year out, wins majors at a far higher % then any other golfer.  No other golfer has been able to show that consistency.

Westwood's current point total, 8.69, is about the same number of points that the #2 player has had after 2005.  Westwood's standing as #1 in the world right now is not a result of his playing but because Tiger hasn't won in the past 15 months.  

The 2005 mid-year rankings had Tiger (14.09) , Vijay (12.34), Ernie (10.24) and Phil (8.90) all with higher points.

Check the past years of the rankings and you can find dozens of players who get into the Top 5 after a good stretch, but they can't maintain that level of success.

Sergio, Angel Cabrera, Adam Scott, Retief, Padraig ... all have failed to have the consistency it takes to stay at the top.  

Perhaps Kaymer will be different, odds are he won't be ...

Golf Player Rankings
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jud_T

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »
Any of you Tiger-haters notice that he just reeled off 4 straight birdies on the South course and is swinging with more control than he has in years? Still think he's done? I know, his putting 'aint what it used to be.  Horsehockey....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Gareth Williams

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 05:19:13 PM »
Any of you Tiger-haters notice that he just reeled off 4 straight birdies on the South course and is swinging with more control than he has in years? Still think he's done? I know, his putting 'aint what it used to be.  Horsehockey....

His head is gone, ergo his putting is gone.

Quo vadis Sir....

Gareth Williams

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »

I'm happy to stick my neck out and say that Tiger is done as far as majors goes.....unless he manages to win one this year that is!!!

Outrageous statement! Gareth, I'm willing to have a reasonably large wager with you that he wins one this year - In fact, I think he'll do it straight off the blocks at Augusta...

You think Brian?

I honestly think that if cannot secure a major this year then he really will be done and dusted for major wins. I just don't see the "invisible/indefinable cloak" he used to carry or wear anymore and he's just one of the leading lights of this daft game, not the definer of said game.

wager wise, how large is large?

Phil Benedict

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 05:23:18 PM »

He's 3 over par since making the 4 consecutive birdies - now 8 behind the leader.  

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 05:37:42 PM »
Yup,

His career's clearly over.  Time to retire to the old golfer's home and take up shuffleboard....Martin who?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:41:15 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back