News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Re: The Creation of NGLA in Chronological, Contemporaneous News Articles
« Reply #2500 on: June 12, 2011, 09:42:16 AM »
TMac,

I gotta run, but with all due respect, I believe you are the one, for all your research, who seems to lack historical perspective more than anyone here.

The letters clearly show that while the developer brought in Barker, MCC clearly had no intent to use him.  It is not uncommon for developers to bring in a gca to show them how to lay out a residential course, but in this case, MCC took off with the project on their own path.  You can tell from the intial reports they made to the board.

Barker disappeard from Merion because the developer brought him in and the club decided they wanted to work with CBM.  They did not publisize his involement, some newspaper got a hold of McConnell who mentioned bringing Barker in and it got printed by someone who didn't realize how the project had moved on.

You have a vivid imagination. Those letters don't say anything of the sort. There are three or four contemporaneous reports that claim Lloyd brought in Barker (and CBM), which makes more sense due to the fact Connell did not play golf, was not a member of Merion, and Lloyd had a lot more riding on the project than he did. I think most reasonable observers would acknowledge Lloyd was calling the shots, and Lloyd was a person who sought out top proven talent.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2501 on: June 12, 2011, 10:18:10 AM »

Would they mention his June 1910 letter in their Nov meeting, but not other meetings and routings?

I don't really understand the question, but if you are referring to the minutes I don't believe they should be considered a diary of the events. The entries are months apart and there are large holes in the info we know from other sources. And the minutes do not claim Wilson designed the course, which is what I believe you are claiming.

Would they present a blank drawing in Nov 1910 if they had his routing?

The primary focus of that drawing and that circular was to sell their real estate venture to the club. Wasn't Barker's routing included in that package? Again I thought you were presenting evidence Wilson designed the course.

Would they not mention the routing in December if it was integral to their land purchase?

Cuyler's letter is focused on the real estate transaction, but it also alludes to the fact the parcel, aka the golf course, aka the routing, may need to be adjusted. What does this have to do with Wilson?

Would they not mention other meetings or continued correspondance with CBM in any of their reports, correspondances, or recollections, which were quite consistent in the number of times they met with him, and what happened when they did?

The minutes should not be considered a blow by blow diary of the events. The entries are months apart and there are large holes in the info we know from other sources. What do the minutes tell us about Wilson designing the golf course?

Why would each of the committee that Alan Wilson interview for his piece (and they were there) not take the time to correct a faulty record.  How could they all keep their stories straight?

What are you saying?

Why didn't CBM take credit in Scotlands Gift?

By 1928 Merion had been completely overhauled and redesigned with almost all signs of Macdonald removed. I can't imagine he would be pleased by that.

Again I'm still waiting for all these documents that prove Wilson designed the course.

The answer is simple - all of their perceptions back then were that the committee designed the golf course, and CBM offered valuble advice that helped them immensely.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:28:03 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2502 on: June 12, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »
Jeff
I find it interesting that the most important account (Wilson's own account in 1916) and IMO the most important and most thorough evidence (Wilson's numerous letters) seem to be brushed under the rug by you and the others. Is that because those documents present a clear picture of what Wilson and the committee were actually doing and that is overseeing or managing the construction?

JESII

« Reply #2503 on: June 12, 2011, 12:00:47 PM »
TMac,

I gotta run, but with all due respect, I believe you are the one, for all your research, who seems to lack historical perspective more than anyone here.

The letters clearly show that while the developer brought in Barker, MCC clearly had no intent to use him.  It is not uncommon for developers to bring in a gca to show them how to lay out a residential course, but in this case, MCC took off with the project on their own path.  You can tell from the intial reports they made to the board.

Barker disappeard from Merion because the developer brought him in and the club decided they wanted to work with CBM.  They did not publisize his involement, some newspaper got a hold of McConnell who mentioned bringing Barker in and it got printed by someone who didn't realize how the project had moved on.

You have a vivid imagination. Those letters don't say anything of the sort. There are three or four contemporaneous reports that claim Lloyd brought in Barker (and CBM), which makes more sense due to the fact Connell did not play golf, was not a member of Merion, and Lloyd had a lot more riding on the project than he did. I think most reasonable observers would acknowledge Lloyd was calling the shots, and Lloyd was a person who sought out top proven talent.
Tom,

Can you produce any of the document you reference that say Lloyd brought in Barker? Thanks. Also, didn't Griscom invite CBM? I believe they would have known each other through the USGA...

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2504 on: June 12, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »
Jeff,

I really think we've said all we can on this thread, and the overwhelming weight of evidence you've presented has sent the Three Blind Mice into another desperate tizzy of misinformation, propaganda, and outright lies (i.e. "Colt designed Pine Valley").

Because they can't wrap their biased brains around the facts, they try to create new ones, and then tell us those supposed new "facts" are valid because its the result of their superior intellect and "logic" or the biggest joke of all, their "reasonability".   At least that's what they try to present.   A less generous interpretation is that they know what they are presenting is inaccurate but have a clear agenda based on personalities.

In any case, what it really is in each individual case is a bunch of guys trying to re-write history to their own biases, their own prejudices, and their own feelings, particularly as relates to their experience with Philadelphia and Philadelphians primarily, or their own misplaced sense of justice in the case of making up new stories of glory of the working class and early professionals.

It's not how history should be written, and as I said before, perhaps never has so much time and energy gone into something so ridiculous and so lacking in historical support, actual evidence, and objective credence.  

Fortunately, it seems that most here have seen right through all that (I know all the clubs involved certainly have).   Those who came with an open mind soon found their way to the truth and usually after being personally insulted for not seeing the new "light" as presented by the Blind Mice, they departed the thread. Sadly, many important and valuable contributors have left the site rather than continue to try and dialogue with these three  and their bullying tactics and personal insults.  

Now that all Three Mice are at full squeak again, 'll leave it to you whether you'd like me to participate further or not.   I admit it's hard to read their garbage ,especially the outright lies (Tom MacWood KNOWS that Tillinghast documented an entire routing and completed holes by Crump and his Committee months before Colt arrived yet continues to purposefully misstate the truth) and not respond, but at this point I think everyone has seen the three of them for what they are and besides...

...you seem to have matters well in hand.   Frankly, I think you could take all three with one hand and half your brain tied behind your back!

Nice job. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:27:01 PM by MCirba »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2505 on: June 12, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »
"Horatio G. Lloyd, of Drexel & Company, a governor of the club, has been the prime factor in bringing about this transaction in behalf of the club. Before the purchase of the ground, Mr. Lloyd had it examined by Charles B. Macdonald, HJ Whigham and HH Barker, the well-known golf players, all of whom have pronounced that the ground can be transformed into a golf course the equal of Myopia, Boston or Garden City, Long Island."  
~~ Philadelphia Inquirer

"In the negotiations prior to the purchase of the land buy the Merion Cricket Club Horatio G. Lloyd, of Drexel & Company, one of the governors of the club, played an active part. Before the deal was consummated Mr. Lloyd had the ground inspected by three leading golf authorities, Charles B. Macdonald, HJ Whigham and HN Barker. These experts were enthusiastic in their praise of the site."  
~~ Philadelphia Record
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:30:54 PM by Tom MacWood »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2506 on: June 12, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
And THAT, in a nutshell, is the obvious problem when one relies solely on newspaper articles and ignores contemporaneous club records for research...it leads to all sorts of mis-interpretations and inaccurate understanding and reporting of historical events.

Here again is Macdonald's letter to Lloyd and Merion based on his one day site visit in June 1910.   He didn't come back until April 1911;

New York, June 29, 1910
Horatio G. Lloyd, Esq.
c/o Messrs. Drexel and Co.
Philadelphia, Pa

Dear Mr. Lloyd:

Mr. Whigham and I discussed the various merits of the land you propose buying, and we think it has some very desirable features.  The quarry and the brooks can be made much of.  What it lacks in abrupt mounds can be largely rectified.

We both think that your soil will produce a firm and durable turf through the fair green quickly.  The putting greens of course will need special treatment, as the grasses are much finer.

The most difficult problem you have to contend with is to get in eighteen holes that will be first class in the acreage you propose buying.  So far as we can judge, without a contour map before us, we are of the opinion that it can be done, provided you get a little more land near where you propose making your Club House.  The opinon that a long course is always the best course has been exploded.  A 6000 yd. course can be made really first class, and to my mind it is more desirable than a 6300 or a 6400 yd. course, particularly where the roll of the ball will not be long, because you cannot help with the soil you have on that property having heavy turf.  Of course it would be very fast when the summer baked it well.

The following is my idea of a  6000 yard course:

One 130 yard hole
One 160    "
One 190    "
One 220 yard to 240 yard hole,
One 500 yard hole,
Six 300 to 340 yard holes,
Five 360 to 420    "
Two 440 to 480    "

As regards drainage and treatment of soil, I think it would be wise for your Committee to confer with the Baltusrol Committee.  They had a very difficult drainage problem.  You have a very simple one.  Their drainage opinions will be valuable to you.  Further, I think their soil is very similar to yours, and it might be wise to learn from them the grasses that have proved most satisfactory though the fair green.

In the meantime, it will do no harm to cut a sod or two and send it to Washington for analysis of the natural grasses, those indigenous to the soil.

We enjoyed our trip to Philadelphia very much, and were very pleased to meet your Committee.

With kindest regards to you all, believe me,

Yours very truly,

(signed)  Charles B. Macdonald

In soil analysis have the expert note particularly amount of carbonate of lime.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:49:47 PM by MCirba »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2507 on: June 12, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »
TMac,

So what is a more reliable record?  Those articles, or the Merion minutes that take pains to say the McConnell had brought in Barker on his own account?

Of course, as a partner in the development too, both could be right, in a way, I suppose.  But, either way, its clear that Barker had nothing else to do with the project after his one day visit.  If he did, it would have been mentioned somewhere.

Lastly, I think we answer what happened by looking at the most relevant documents.  Then we figure out why it did, which is also a part of history, but I believe asking "why would they" is slightly different than asking "why?"  In other words, you seem to be asking the question I usually get about my architecture (What the hell could he POSSIBLY have been thinking?) ;D

Mike,

I think I will probably gracefully bow out too.  Way past time to wind this one down.

David,

Thanks for your response.  You made a few good points in there that I hadn't considered.  All the same, I think its highly implausible that any earlier routings wouldn't have been noted somehow.  A lot would have had to happen to make all those things tie together.

And, as to why Hugh wasn't specifically mentioned in any minutes as the designer, I believe its a result mentioning the committee, which in theory all had responsibility, and more to the point (which I think you mentioned once) that in this era, many folks really didn't think of design as we do now.  Specifically, so many mentions seem to think of construction as primary, and design as almost just a necessary aspect of getting your course built.

In other words, while we celebrate all the early guys (mostly CBM) who studied architecture and brought some ideas back, at the time of Merion, only a few understood the signifigance of that as we do now, and we don't know that they were writing the minutes and records, or even all the newspaper articles.  

There is little doubt in my mind that the other members of Merion were more interested in getting the course built and open so they could play, rather than some architectural nuance like an Alps hole.  (not much changes, eh?)  And I don't think its unreasonable to conclude that the lesser concern with architecture is reflected in their minutes and recollections.

That said, Alan Wilson spends some time on it, more than I would have thought, actually, in his letter.  But, by this time, they already had a different mind set for the course, having hosted the AM, etc. and finding out that so many thought so highly of their course.  I believe the mindset from 1910 may have changed a bit over time.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2508 on: June 12, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »
Mike
It is well documented Colt was hired to design PVGC, and he produced a master plan (which you have seen) and a hole by hole schematic. Colt also advertised he designed the golf course, and Colt was not prone to exaggeration or misinformation.

Here is a link to a Colt & Alison advertisement from 1924. It is on the fifth page and PV is the first course listed.

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/GolfIllustrated/1924/gi212b.pdf

Trying to use the examples of Pine Valley, Oakmont and Myopia to explain the illogical idea that Lloyd & Company would hire an untested, inexperienced insurance salesman is ridiculous. Number one because no one could possibly be that dumb (Lloyd was hardly dumb) and secondly because your romantic version of those legends ignores important facts (like the hiring of Colt).

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2509 on: June 12, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »
Mike
It is obvious those newspaper reports were not based on that circular. There is information in those newspaper reports not contained in the circular, including the fact that Lloyd was behind the property being inspected.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2510 on: June 12, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »
Tom,

It indeed had additional information, almost all of which is dead wrong, starting with the location of the Merion golf course in Lakewood, NJ.

I should know...I'm the one who found the article.

That circular, written on July 1st for internal purposes was released to the general Merion membership with other information soliciting their support in mid-November 1910.   

The erroneous news article appeared within a week.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2511 on: June 12, 2011, 02:24:57 PM »
Tom,

Of course Harry Colt would want to lay claim to sole credit for Pine Valley...before it was even fully opened many were calling it the best golf course in the country.

However, contemporaneous records by AW TIllinghast completely belie that claim, a fact you're well aware of, so I don't know why you keep repeating a known mis-truth to further your agenda.  

No one has ever denied that Harry Colt played a significant design role at PV, but to continue to purposefully omit George Crump was was responsible for conservatively at least 50% of the design of that great course is shameful.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:25:03 PM by MCirba »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2512 on: June 12, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
**Deleted...Double Post
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:50:10 PM by MCirba »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2513 on: June 12, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
Here's another reason why it's critical for an accurate understanding of history to analyze BOTH news articles as well as contemporaneous club records.

In November, 1914, as an amateur architect who had just spent the past four years working continuously on golf course design and construction projects (new courses at Merion East, Merion West, Seaview, and redesigns of North Hills and Philmont), Hugh Wilson decided to resign and focus on his business.

It was reported;

When I posted that article previously, the Three M's all noted the term "constructed", again trying to make the case that someone else had laid out, or designed the Merion East course, while Hugh Wilson had only supervised construction of it. (which of course makes no sense given he designed the other courses listed)

However, this is not the case at all, as seen in the Club Minutes.

At the November 23, 1914 meeting of the Merion Cricket Club Board of Governors, it was recorded that;

“The resignation of Mr. Hugh I. Wilson, as Chairman of the Green Committee, was presented, whereupon, on motion of Mr. Lillie, duly seconded, the following resolution was adopted:

RESOLVED, that in accepting Mr. Wilson’s resignation as Chairman of the Green Committee, this Board desires to record its appreciation of the invaluable service rendered by him to the Club in the laying out AND supervision of the construction of the East and West Golf Courses. (italics, CAPS, size mine)  The fact that these courses are freely admitted by expert players to be second to none in this country, demonstrates more fully than anything else that can be said, the ability and good judgment displayed by Mr. Wilson in his work.

The Board desires to express on behalf of the Club its sincere thanks to Mr. Wilson and its regret that pressure of business makes it necessary for him to relinquish the duties of Chairman of this important committee.

On motion duly seconded, Mr. Winthrop Sargent was appointed a member of the Golf Committee and Chairman of the Green Committee.”
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:59:36 PM by MCirba »

DMoriarty

« Reply #2514 on: June 12, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
Mike Cirba,

As you have been for years, you keep making these laughable claims of complete victory and parting speeches and grand exits, but you never seem to make it out the door.  No one is keeping you here.  If you think you are the victor than by all means go, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Thanks for your response.  You made a few good points in there that I hadn't considered.  All the same, I think its highly implausible that any earlier routings wouldn't have been noted somehow.  A lot would have had to happen to make all those things tie together.

I don't get responses like these.  It seems like you are saying, you make some good points but I am going to ignore them and believe what I want to believe anyway.    A lot did happen.   Barker routed the course, then CBM, then they couldn't make it fit and swapped for more land, then they bought 117 acres but needed three more.  (There are your different courses before NGLA.)

But set that all aside.  We know that CBM did not approve the final routing his spring trip, and we know that the board didn't vote to acquire the additional three acres until shortly after.  No speculation required. Until then, they didn't have a final layout plan, and it is unreasonable to expect them to have presented anything but to the membership.  In fact it doesn't even look like Lesley's committee presented anything to the board before then.  Shall we conclude that there really weren't "many different layouts" because none of them were presented to the membership and none of the show up in the minutes?

You are exercising a real double standard here, and it is the same double standard you guys have been working with from the beginning. You just assume everything on one side of the argument and require absolute proof on the other.   Were there routings by others but not CBM in the minutes, then you'd have point, but there aren't.  

And, as to why Hugh wasn't specifically mentioned in any minutes as the designer, I believe its a result mentioning the committee, which in theory all had responsibility, and more to the point (which I think you mentioned once) that in this era, many folks really didn't think of design as we do now.  Specifically, so many mentions seem to think of construction as primary, and design as almost just a necessary aspect of getting your course built.

In other words, while we celebrate all the early guys (mostly CBM) who studied architecture and brought some ideas back, at the time of Merion, only a few understood the signifigance of that as we do now, and we don't know that they were writing the minutes and records, or even all the newspaper articles.  

There is little doubt in my mind that the other members of Merion were more interested in getting the course built and open so they could play, rather than some architectural nuance like an Alps hole.  (not much changes, eh?)  And I don't think its unreasonable to conclude that the lesser concern with architecture is reflected in their minutes and recollections.

Will you do me a favor and read back over this, and then ask yourself the questions you asked me.  Because I agree with almost all of what you said, and I believe that they answer all your own questions about why CBM was never specifically singled out as the "designer" or "architect."

It cannot be that all you said above only applies to Merion and Hugh Wilson, but does not apply to CBM.  It has to apply to both.  If it is reasonable to think that they would have never mentioned Hugh Wilson as having routed and planned the course, then it is at least as reasonable to think they never would have mentioned CBM/HJW as having designed it, for all of the reasons you state above.  

But, ironically, they do mention CBM and HJW at every stage of the process.  He and Whigham are the only ones actually mentioned by name.  They are the only ones credited with approving the course.  The plan went to the Board as the plan they had chosen and approved.  It was obviously important to Lesley and to the Board that Merion had done everything they could to get CBM's input into the design and approval of the design.  

Mike asks, why did CBM have to come back down if he had been designing the course for them at NGLA? The question answers itself!  He had to come down because he had designed the course for them at NGLA.  There is no other reason he would need him to come down.   He had to go over it again on the land and sort out all the loose ends and make sure they had done what he suggested!  He was approving it just as would an architect check and approve the field work of his crew.  

And you are probably correct about these guys.  Except for eventually Wilson, these guys on the committee don't seem to have been deep thinkers about design. Hell if you are going to dismiss H.J. Whigham, then you can't possibly believe this committee, except for may Wilson, had anything to do with the design!  Francis tells us he only made one contribution and it had little to do with hole concepts but was rather just making things fit.  And frankly he seems a bit confused about how thing came about, doesn't he? [If anything casts doubt on the Francis' statement about the swap, it is his apparent confusion about what else was ongoing.  But then he doesn't really seem to have been involved in what else was ongoing, whereas he was involved in the swap, so would likely have a better recollection of that.]

That said, Alan Wilson spends some time on it, more than I would have thought, actually, in his letter.  But, by this time, they already had a different mind set for the course, having hosted the AM, etc. and finding out that so many thought so highly of their course.  I believe the mindset from 1910 may have changed a bit over time.

No doubt it changed.  And the course changed.  And Hugh Wilson's role changed.  And Merion's, especially Alan Wilson's, relationship with CBM changed. And when Alan Wilson was writing about this, he was writing about what Merion had become, not what it was initially.

And I wish you would specifically answer the rest of my questions.  

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:02:51 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2515 on: June 12, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
David,

I am not sure what exactly we are arguing about, since we seem to agree on so much!  As to the overall response, I was simply trying to be nice and show my appreciation for a cordial, thought out response.  Just doing that doesn't mean I still can't disagree, does it?

Just a few things, but if CBM had designed the course for them at NGLA, he would only have to come back to approve changes they had made since that time, no?  So, THEY made changes, but wanted CBM to look at it.

And, I think its possible that Hugh got mentioned so little solely because everyone at the club knew he was doing a lot of work on it, whereas it was important to specifically acknowledge the outside contributions of CBM.  So, I agree that the same ought to apply to both, but think its reasonalbe that they only mentioned the committee (not singling out Hugh even though he was chair).  Just a thought.

Either way, I don't think it changes what actually happened there, and I think you are slightly more partial to thinking CBM was the main guy, and I am slightly more partial to thinking they spent a lot of time outside his presence.

To use one of your "turnaround" type questions, it strikes me that you and TMac are both interested in digging deeper in to the real mechanics of what happened in design at some famous old coruses.  Fast forward 100 years and someone will be trying to figure out just how much credit JN might be getting, and whether Jim Lipe really did more work on it, no?

As it regards Merion, I tend to think the committee played the Lipe role, and CBM replicated the JN role of seeing the site initially, attending one session on routing and design at NGLA, and coming back to check in on the minons one more time near the end.  Only JN would make a few construction site visits.  So, while the name gets the credit (then and now) I feel the committee did most of the work and figured out a lot of what happened on their own.

For that matter, you and I have some slightly different perspectives on whether CBM should be credited with the Alps and Redan.  Of course, they learned of them on the visit to NGLA, and did go there with the intent of soaking up all they could on design ideas.  So, I can see them finding an Alps and Redan holes on their routing without CBM placing it for them.  Should he be credited fully with those holes for suggesting the idea?

I guess its still all a matter of perspective.  We agree CBM was a big influence at the beginning.

BTW, I was going to answer what I thought were your questions, but when I looked up further there was a post from Tmac which sounded like your questions, so I got confused.

BTW II, do you have any real evidence of Allan Wilson and CBM having some kind of a fall out?  CBM was certainly petulant enough to perhaps do such a thing, but I had never heard anyone relating that, and you had previously maintained that there was no friction or falling out between CBM and Merion, albeit you might have been talking about only the construction era.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2516 on: June 12, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »
David,

I didn't ask why CBM had to come back down....I asked why he had to come back down and "look(ing) over the various plans", the five plans in particular that the MCC Minutes tell us were laid out by the Committee, if indeed CBM had authored those plans?

Also, Richard Francis tells us that his brainstorm completed the routing, allowing for the final five holes to be placed.

If this happened before November 15th 1910 as you still contend, then what the hell was there for CBM to route as there is no record of him having anything to do with Merion in the entire second half of 1910.

I know you keep dodging that question, but I'm going to keep asking it and everyone here knows you're ducking it, no matter how much deflective stuff you write.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:15:40 PM by MCirba »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2517 on: June 12, 2011, 04:15:21 PM »
Yes, just to add to that, I keep forgetting how it is the 3M's can continually claim that there is no reference to the committee (or Wilson specifically) routing or designing the golf course when its pretty clear from the Lesley report that they did plans both before and after the NGLA meeting.

I have no doubt that the plans prior were poor, and that CBM might have even just thrown them in the fireplace to keep them warm until the booze started to kick in.  He might have even made some chicken scratches that night right over a blank topo.  But, that is speculation, while we know they did come back and draw five of their own, most likely using what they had just learned from CBM.

And not to kick old HH Barker under the bus, but I wouldn't be surprised if they based their efforts on his efforts, and CBM told them holes were too close, too short, etc. although they would already have known what length holes CBM wanted.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2518 on: June 12, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
Jeff,

Yes, EVERYONE at Merion knew who was responsible for the design and construction of the golf course and everyone in Philadelphia golf, as well.

Why not a dinner for CBM and Barker?   That's a serious question, by the way.   

Do the 3Ms really think that Merion would have ignored their efforts if they were indeed responsible for the design of their new golf course?   It's preposterous.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:23:34 PM by MCirba »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2519 on: June 12, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »
Mike,

I agree. And while some can argue the semantics of "lay out" to try to prove a point, I doubt Wilson went to GBI or to NGLA for that matter to learn surveying.  He had Francis for that.  He and the committee went to NGLA to learn about design for their own purposes.  They said so, and I believe them.

Now, I am perfectly willing to speculate that along with teaching them, old Charlie took a look at their first puny efforts he saw when they went to NGLA and did offer some helpful routing suggestions, but the fact is, the routing does not appear to have been finished when they left, or they wouldn't have done five more upon return.

All of those things say the committee designed the golf course, no?  I hate to have asked David to explain his postion again because I know he already has and I have simlply rudely forgotten what he wrote, for which I apologize.  I might as well apologize in advance for disagreeing whatever he writes concerning my last question, because I will read it, and try to understand it, but am already 99% sure I will disagree with most of it. 

DMoriarty

« Reply #2520 on: June 12, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
Just a few things, but if CBM had designed the course for them at NGLA, he would only have to come back to approve changes they had made since that time, no?  So, THEY made changes, but wanted CBM to look at it.

I don't see it that way at all. Why is it so difficult to believe that CBM wanted to see the place again before signing off on any plan?  After all, the property had changed since he was there.   The Committee may well have had input at both NGLA and when they came back, but this is CBM we are talking about, who had seen the land, and he is sitting there with a contour map trying to explain to people who were admittedly clueless about the strategic intricacies of the road hole, bottle concepts, the redan, and many other features, and trying to tell them how do do it on paper.  Were you them, wouldn't you want CBM to come and make sure you were on the right track and had "a good start" as Hugh Wilson put it.  

If you were in a room with a contour map and some people who knew nothing about design and probably didn't care or know much about sophisticated design or hole concepts, and you had been already over their land and already had some ideas, and they were asking you for your help, who do you think would be the one coming up with the plan?  You or them?  Would it surprise you if they wanted you to come back to your take one more look at the and plans to sort out loose ends before they started on your project?

And, I think its possible that Hugh got mentioned so little solely because everyone at the club knew he was doing a lot of work on it, whereas it was important to specifically acknowledge the outside contributions of CBM.  So, I agree that the same ought to apply to both, but think its reasonalbe that they only mentioned the committee (not singling out Hugh even though he was chair).  Just a thought.

But it is not just Hugh who wasn't mentioned as having come up with the plan.  The record is fairly blank on the issue, except for the Lesley report, which I think puts CBM and HJW holding their hands and leading them through the process!

Either way, I don't think it changes what actually happened there, and I think you are slightly more partial to thinking CBM was the main guy, and I am slightly more partial to thinking they spent a lot of time outside his presence.

Do you really think anyone committee-member but Wilson spent any time on the project before construction?  I don't.  What is it that you think they were doing?  What was Wilson doing in relation to the design.  He goes through the process step by step in his chapter, and never mentions a damn thing about it except that CBM gave taught them how to incorporate the principles into their design and that CBM gave them a good start.   Then it is all about building the course.  

Where is the record of this extensive time ANYONE at Merion spent designing this course?   Again with the double standard.  You cannot even admit that CBM might have been corresponding, but you guys act as if the entire committee quit their jobs and were out there trudging around in the snow and mud in February trying to design the course.   Where is the proof?  How come the absence of evidence doesn't matter here?  There is nothing suggesting that the construction committee was out planning before NGLA.

I don't think they did a thing with the design until they went to NGLA, and that the various layouts were Barkers, CBM, and the changed on after the swap.

To use one of your "turnaround" type questions, it strikes me that you and TMac are both interested in digging deeper in to the real mechanics of what happened in design at some famous old coruses.  Fast forward 100 years and someone will be trying to figure out just how much credit JN might be getting, and whether Jim Lipe really did more work on it, no?

By the end of the project, it may have been like like Lipe and Nicklaus, because by then Wilson had build the damn course and gone and studied design, and had learned a hell of a lot.  But Lipe is a designer, and in the beginning Wilson didn't know what he was doing.  That is why I stay out of the credit fight.  Wilson deserves a ton of credit.  All I am talking about is the routing and the plan.  Whose idea was it?

For that matter, you and I have some slightly different perspectives on whether CBM should be credited with the Alps and Redan.  Of course, they learned of them on the visit to NGLA, and did go there with the intent of soaking up all they could on design ideas.  So, I can see them finding an Alps and Redan holes on their routing without CBM placing it for them.  Should he be credited fully with those holes for suggesting the idea?

You are trying to trump what is most likely with what is merely possible.

BTW II, do you have any real evidence of Allan Wilson and CBM having some kind of a fall out?  CBM was certainly petulant enough to perhaps do such a thing, but I had never heard anyone relating that, and you had previously maintained that there was no friction or falling out between CBM and Merion, albeit you might have been talking about only the construction era.

The Merionettes misread and twisted something and acted as if there had been a falling out during construction but there is no evidence of such a thing.

I am talking about what happened in the mid-1920's around the formation of the Green Section.  It is all covered before.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2521 on: June 12, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »
David,

I knew that was the time frame you were talking about, but has it been covered before (a Alan Wilson CBM rift?)  I really don't recall the discussion.  I do recall the bit about letters wondering if they should even bother to ask CBM to the initial green section meetings because he had been so cranky and could possibly ruin it.  Is that what you are referring to?

At the same time, if it was widely known that Merion had been a CBM course, and then CBM took his name off it, I think that would likely to have made the papers somewhere as well.  He would have told someone, as just leaving it out of his book might have been too subtle a clue he was peeved, no?  He had to have told someone.  

Or, maybe, he had never cared much about his contributions to Merion, and at this time he was pissed enough to have told old Whigham "Those bastards, after all I did for them at Merion?"  Not out of the question as a possibility to explain the HJW eulogy that is at odds with other recollections (IMHO, I know you don't think so)

Just trying to comprehend the possible (possible) scenarios in CBM removing his name.

As to some of your questions, yeah I have already said CBM probably looked at their routings, and maybe made some changes, suggestions, or just puked on them. I really don't know.  But I do agree that a strict interpretation of the record that said he only showed them sketches and NGLA is probably not realistic.

As to how far they actually go on routing at NGLA, sorry to say, but your theories stretch further than I am willing to go.  And I say this only because they did do five routings upon return.  Yes, they might have been five little variations on CBM's NGLA developed plan (well four and then the land swap version which seems to have been signifigantly different)  As to the many plans before, Barker did one.  No evidence that CBM did any.  

I still believe that if he had, it would have shown up in the record some how, somewhere.  They recorded the signifigant milestones of their process, and would have recorded that - it would have not been a casual little detail that was deemed irrelevant to record, as you suggested, at least IMHO.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2522 on: June 12, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »
Incidentally, the Merion Cricket Club Minutes do contain appreciative thanks to CBM and Whigham for coming down in June 1910 and for their help at that time (in the form of a very general letter with a lukewarm recommendation of the property that's been reproduced here many times).

Edward Sayres, the Club Secretary, noted that Mr. Lloyd expressed the feelings of the
Board of Government as follows,

Resolved, That the Board of Government extend their sincere thanks to Messrs. C.B.
Macdonald and H.J. Whigham for their kindness and courtesy in assisting the Special
Committee on Golf Grounds in their inspection and their opinions upon the new Golf
Grounds.

No such corresponding documentation concerning any design efforts by CBM and Whigham were ever recorded.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2523 on: June 12, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the reminder.  Beating a dead horse here, but since they recorded their thanks to CBM for every known meeting, I still find it hard to believe they wouldn't have expressed thanks for any other signifigant contact - like mailing them a finished or even rough routing.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2524 on: June 12, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
Jeff,

It's absolutely absurd to suggest that Merion wouldn't have credited CBM publicly and repeatedly with authorship if he had done ANYTHING in that regard.

In truth, it's also an insult to the club to suggest they would have done otherwise.

But again, consider the sources.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back