News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Is TV DESIGN a new genre in GCA? Please define...
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »
Sean Arble mentioned this term in a recent post re centerline bunkering.

Is this an accurate description of the commercial, sponsored, wealthy tournament golf courses we see presented on TV as the way golf is?

Your thoughts, and perhaps a better definition than I have provided for "TV DESIGN ...the way of the future? (not)"

........ Helping to drive this notion is that a lot of golfers don't undertand centreline bunkers.  Golfers also want what they see on tv and many archies aren't bold enough to turn away from tv design.........

@theflatsticker

David_Elvins

Re: Is TV DESIGN a new genre in GCA? Please define...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »
Brett,

I look at TV design as slightly different. 

I believe that credit shoud be given to a golf course that looks good on TV because when a course hosts a tournament, the number of people that will see it on TV is far far greater than the number of people that will visit the course over the next 100 years.  These people should be catered to.

When I say a course should get credit for looking good on TV, I don't just mean pretty flowers and lakes, what I mean is that features should be bold enough that they are able to be translated to TV.  This is one of the great things about Augusta, Sawgrass and Whistling Straights, IMO, that, whilst you don't see how extreme the slopes and contours are, you can see that they are there.  Further more, features like water hazards, which I am not normally a feature of, work great onTV because they exemplify risk/reward architecture in a way that the viewer can understand.  Whereas some of the more traditional US Open and British Open courses translate poorly to TV.

TV courses are the most accessible to people around the world.  Good TV architecture should be given credit. 

There has been great improvement in TV coverage since HD came in.  Lets hope networks continue to find new camera angles and techniques that translate the golf course architecture into the lounge room. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:55:38 PM »
Dave
Granted in may be good for the TV viewing public, but is it good for golfers? Our game was not invented nor is played to be viewed on TV. success of the sport notwithstanding, 20/20 cricket is a new era, designed for the TV/ fans - not the players?

Your definition, do you believe this defines a new style/era of GCA? particularly in regard to the style of golf courses we see persented to the Pro Tours, in all continents probably.

Bm

@theflatsticker

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 10:59:54 AM »
Sean Arble mentioned this term in a recent post re centerline bunkering.

Is this an accurate description of the commercial, sponsored, wealthy tournament golf courses we see presented on TV as the way golf is?

What courses, specifically, were you referencing ?

Your thoughts, and perhaps a better definition than I have provided for "TV DESIGN ...the way of the future? (not)"

........ Helping to drive this notion is that a lot of golfers don't undertand centreline bunkers.  Golfers also want what they see on tv and many archies aren't bold enough to turn away from tv design.........

Cristian

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:52:34 AM »
Is TV design not the same as the 'Framing school' of golf course design which I read about in Geoff Shackleford's "Grounds for Golf", where hazards are justified more by visual impact than by strategic or penal consequence? (ie Fazio courses)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back