News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hamilton

Re: How Would You Split 10 Rounds at Bandon Dunes
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 06:22:25 PM »
I haven't seen OM but feel like BT is the best finish in the dark.  17 being a par 3 and every drive on 18 finishing in the exact same spot make BT the ultimate late afternoon round.  Not to mention it is empty.

This is an advantage of BT.  In addition to an afternoon break from the wind if it's a particularly windy day.  I played on a perfect Thursday in August and was very much alone.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 06:59:29 PM »
3OM 3 PD 2BT 2BD or 4OM 4PD 1BT 1BD would suit me just as well

Alex Miller

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »
10 rounds at Bandon. Assuming you're not there for 10 days, let's assume you're there 5 nights, play the first afternoon and the morning before you leave.

The consensus, which I also agree with, would be the 3-3-2-2 split.

AM         PM
Day 1  Arrive      BT- like people have said, an escape from the wind, also leaves some mystery of the coastline for tomorrow
Day 2     PD       OM
Day 3     BD       PD
Day 4     OM      BD
Day 5     BT       PD
Day 6     OM     Leave

At least one morning and afternoon round on each.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 07:45:59 PM »
I'm torn. We're planning a 10 round trip right now, and how can we find the time to do this and return to the SheepRanch?  How can we leave the resort? How can we not go to the SheepRanch? Repeat.

Tim Bert

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
Bandon Trails isn't always as sheltered from the wind as some might believe. Of all my rounds at the resort, several in heavy summer winds, the heaviest wind my group has ever faced was during an afternoon round at Trails. While it may be more protected in general, I also think it has the sharpest teeth when the wind does strike.

I would still recommend a plan with flexibity. Start with 3-3-2-2 but be very willing to alter that plan if you find a strong preference. When I have visited it hasn't been that difficult to change your afternoon plans there if you desire. 

If you do play a least two rounds at each, try to get both a morning and an afternoon at each course.

And while it is a good point that Bandon Dunes loops each nine, for my money if I'm playing a bonus nine I would rather finish out by the ocean on Pacific Dunes and hoof it back to the pro shop in the near dark.  That's a matter of personal taste an you'll get 5 answers from 5 different people. I would note that I think OM is a worthy adversary of finishing in the dark on 18 when compared to Trails. Trails might be a straight-forwar tee shot for Kavanaugh but for my group it is a recipe for lost balls in the dunes. OM 18 is wide open. We played the hole in the dark -not as dark was approaching - and I am pretty sure that none of the 8 of us lost a ball.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 08:48:48 PM »
Now with four courses this questions seems easier than when there were only three...even though I've not played OMD it looks special. 

So I would go 3-3-2-2: PD-OMD-BT-BD, and if I could slip a Sheep Ranch in I would, and bail on any single round I just listed. 

Hope this is more than an academic question....?!?!?!?!?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »
First time visit:
OM - 3
PD - 3
BD - 2
BT - 2

Next visit (if I could convince my traveling companions)
OM - 5
PD - 2
BD - 2
BT - 1 (though I could easily be convinced to play another at OM instead)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »
This is fascinating. So many posters I tend to listen to and respect -- well travelled, articulate, knowlegable about gca -- reaching such a consensus of opinion/coming so close to unanimity on this subject. Really interesting. 

Peter   

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »
3 at Old Mac
3 at Bandon Trails
2 at Pacific Dunes
2 at bandon Dunes

I would possibly do 3 at Pacific and 1 at Bandon Dunes, but I would suggest playing your first round, even if it yout only round, at Bandon Dunes.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
With 10 rounds, I would always play at least 2 at each course.  My preferences are much more slight than defined.  I kind of envy someone like John M above who is so certain in his choices.

Trails is a great afternoon round because it is the least busy and you can haul.  

Having four courses makes choosing tougher, and it is much harder to call a 5 day trip "a long weekend" on the homefront.  The only real solution is to stay longer and play more.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 09:43:47 PM »
This is fascinating. So many posters I tend to listen to and respect -- well traveled, articulate, knowledgeable about gca -- reaching such a consensus of opinion/coming so close to unanimity on this subject. Really interesting. 

Peter   

Peter, are you trying to say in a nice way that conventional wisdom has been achieved?   :)

I haven't played OM yet.  In the past, my ideal trip has been to play Bandon Dunes first and last, and let the chips fall where they may on the others.  Bandon Dunes is vastly underrated by most correspondents here. Bandon Trails and Pacific Dunes are golf course art, with more pleasures than can be discovered or appreciated in a mere 2 or 3 rounds.  Like going to a well-stocked art museum--plan to go back for more, and don't worry too much that you are "missing" something in your first trip--you can't possibly have it all.

John K is right about the 9-hole course by the practice range.  It's a great spot to go off late in the afternoon with three balls and knock it around, especially after a nice lunch and a couple of cocktails in the Tufted Puffin. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
Eric -- thanks.  You know, I'm honestly not sure why I find it so interesting, but yes, a bit of it probably has to do with the hows and whys of conventional wisdom.  But there's a lot of other bits too, the definite ideas about what makes for quality architecture (or at least, fun) that seems to lie behind the 'ranking' of two of the courses as clearly so much better than the other two; the power and wide spread appeal of ocean views, and of wind; and the aesthetic differences between the favourites and the others.  Etc. But it's all theory for me, I haven't been. But the theory is interesting indeed.

Peter 

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 04:10:39 AM »
I have never been to Bandon, but if I had to play 10 rounds my split would be originally planned on

OM - 3
PD - 3
BT - 1
BD - 3 (as 9 holers - not a complete round in a day - I am not keen on 36 in a day)

I would want to make sure I saw all of all 4 courses in opening three days so I could change my mind if possible.  The problem with this itinerary is it lasts six days - there is no chancce I am ever gonna spend six days in Bandon.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 08:58:37 AM »
Haven't played OM yet, but my ten rounds would most likely go like this:

PD 3
OM 3
BT 3
BD 1

But I hesitate with probably taking one of those 3 rounds on BT and switch it to PD or OM if its as good as most say it is.

I would also try to get my rounds on each course at different times in the day.  My first rounds on PD and BT were in the fog for the first 8 holes in the morning.  Lets just say I didn't get much of the scenery!  Bandon Dunes was great, but not near as good as PD and BT.  I would try to play it in the afternoon....

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Mike Benham

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »

Always a fun and useless exercise this type of topic is ...

I can't imagine spending 5 or 6 days at one location doing nothing but golfing.

If I was to do so, I would need to know what beers they have on tap, what bourbons are racked and have a peak at the wine list ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »
I have never been to Bandon, but if I had to play 10 rounds my split would be originally planned on

OM - 3
PD - 3
BT - 1
BD - 3 (as 9 holers - not a complete round in a day - I am not keen on 36 in a day)

I would want to make sure I saw all of all 4 courses in opening three days so I could change my mind if possible.  The problem with this itinerary is it lasts six days - there is no chancce I am ever gonna spend six days in Bandon.

Ciao

Sean

I'd be very surprised if you didn't move your BD # after one round on each of the four courses which for a first time visitor I would suggest is a good move

Individual tastes differ and all I would say is that I would recommend one play PD / OM over BT and certainly BD

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 10:59:02 PM »
Mark,
You mention 'across the country' - so assume you are American?

I think the choices at Bandon can be predicated on what you know, where you regularly play, and what you are hoping to get out of seeing the resort...and also if you a planning to go back in the near future. Also the time of year from tee time availability point of view, if it is a quieter time of year, it will be easier to change your plans once there.

I do not know how Sean can give advice on courses to play, give BT a whack without having been there.

Our trip was in July, so pretty busy at the time, and we left our bookings a little late and struggled a bit to get exactly the tee times we wanted.
The rationale on selection was based on advice from GCA brethren and two of our group had played BD/PD, we took the approach to play 36 on each course, to ensure we got the most out it, and we also decided to play them in the order they were built, to try and 'get' the project and visualize it as it grew.

We were very pleased with the resulting experience, and left ourselves some time at the end to throw in a favourite 3rd play.

For Australians, I believe, we have a vey limited number of courses here that are anything like Bandon Trails, forests, meadows, dunes - so for me, and only experiencing the more popular courses in GB&I, BT was a very unique, and beautiful experience, and very different to the other 3.
We had 4 club breeze the entire time we were there, so, it was also very pleasant to be up in the Forest for a while.

So, if you think BT will be like your home course, on ones younplay regularly, then see it early so you can avoid repeat and leave room for PD /OM.... But if you play on wind blown open courses, then I would suggest that you will love Bandon Trials.

Arrive the night before, late enough so that you 'cannot' play golf, just to extend the suspense and fun a little longer, knowing you are finally there, but still can't play!

Play each course twice, then on your final day(s), play your favorite course(s).  Also played 7 holes on trails after 36 at OM, it was awesome as the sun went down. Holes, 1,2,3,4,5,17,18 - OR you may just want to go out to BD #16 and just bang a bunch of tee shots along the rim of the cliff!!
@theflatsticker

Jed Rammell

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »
Mark,
You mention 'across the country' - so assume you are American?

I think the choices at Bandon can be predicated on what you know, where you regularly play, and what you are hoping to get out of seeing the resort...and also if you a planning to go back in the near future. Also the time of year from tee time availability point of view, if it is a quieter time of year, it will be easier to change your plans once there.

I do not know how Sean can give advice on courses to play, give BT a whack without having been there.

Our trip was in July, so pretty busy at the time, and we left our bookings a little late and struggled a bit to get exactly the tee times we wanted.
The rationale on selection was based on advice from GCA brethren and two of our group had played BD/PD, we took the approach to play 36 on each course, to ensure we got the most out it, and we also decided to play them in the order they were built, to try and 'get' the project and visualize it as it grew.

We were very pleased with the resulting experience, and left ourselves some time at the end to throw in a favourite 3rd play.

For Australians, I believe, we have a vey limited number of courses here that are anything like Bandon Trails, forests, meadows, dunes - so for me, and only experiencing the more popular courses in GB&I, BT was a very unique, and beautiful experience, and very different to the other 3.
We had 4 club breeze the entire time we were there, so, it was also very pleasant to be up in the Forest for a while.

So, if you think BT will be like your home course, on ones younplay regularly, then see it early so you can avoid repeat and leave room for PD /OM.... But if you play on wind blown open courses, then I would suggest that you will love Bandon Trials.

Arrive the night before, late enough so that you 'cannot' play golf, just to extend the suspense and fun a little longer, knowing you are finally there, but still can't play!

Play each course twice, then on your final day(s), play your favorite course(s).  Also played 7 holes on trails after 36 at OM, it was awesome as the sun went down. Holes, 1,2,3,4,5,17,18 - OR you may just want to go out to BD #16 and just bang a bunch of tee shots along the rim of the cliff!!

I loved BT as well - - my split would be:

BT - 4
PD - 4
OM - 1
BD - 1

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »

I would go 6 rounds for PD and 4 rounds for BD.

Of course, I haven't been back since the other 2 courses were built.  :)

William_G

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »
I'd play 12 rounds instead of 10 and play each 3 times with the three different hole positions.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:31:23 AM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 02:01:24 PM »

OM - 3
PD - 3
BT - 1

Ciao

Sean

I'd be very surprised if you didn't move your BD # after one round on each of the four courses which for a first time visitor I would suggest is a good move

Individual tastes differ and all I would say is that I would recommend one play PD / OM over BT and certainly BD

Hell Kevin, I'm just taking a stab at it coming from the angle of not wanting to play 36 holes a day.  Which also begs the question what the heck am I doing at a golf resort for six days if I'm not playing golf? - well I wouldn't spend six nights.  In the real world I probably wouldn't spend more than three nights (most likely two) in which case I would set up two games at Old Mac and two games at PD (maybe even 3 at OM and 1 at PD) while picking up two nine hole games at BD.  Thats plenty of golf for me in four days - it all starts to get boring after a while. 

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
Hell Kevin, I'm just taking a stab at it coming from the angle of not wanting to play 36 holes a day.  Which also begs the question what the heck am I doing at a golf resort for six days if I'm not playing golf? - well I wouldn't spend six nights.  In the real world I probably wouldn't spend more than three nights (most likely two) in which case I would set up two games at Old Mac and two games at PD (maybe even 3 at OM and 1 at PD) while picking up two nine hole games at BD.  Thats plenty of golf for me in four days - it all starts to get boring after a while. 

Sean

No spite here ? I was just commenting on having hung around here for a while and hearing all about your preferences that I didn't think BD would be "your ideal cup of tea" compared to the other courses. Hope you get there one day to see it for yourself and compare it to what you enjoy in GB&I.

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »

Sean

No spite here ? I was just commenting on having hung around here for a while and hearing all about your preferences that I didn't think BD would be "your ideal cup of tea" compared to the other courses. Hope you get there one day to see it for yourself and compare it to what you enjoy in GB&I.

Kevin

No, I didn't mean to insinuate that you were being snarky.  Its just my phrasing.  No harm, no foul.  I will say that OM sounds very intriguing - to the point where I wouldn't really no what to expect.  In my mind's eye I envision a TOC meets NGLA deal.  Well, its sounds cool to me.

Ciao

Ted Cahill

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
A suggestion for folks who may just want to play 9 holes (if arriving late in the afternoon or 36 is too much (or 54;)  I did a three day trip after Christmas.  I arrived in the afternoon and wanted to squeeze in 9 before it got dark- I called and was told BD was closed that day.  I thought I was stymied and would be relegated to the range.  However, my jones to play too great- I went over to PD and paid 50 bucks to play 9 and figured I would hike back in from the 9th green.  I went out with the course to myself (understandably, this is rarely the case and likely only an opportunity on a rainy winter day)  I was thanking my good fortune to be playing PD all to myself as I walked off the 3rd green.  Then it occured to me- instead of heading left to the 4th tee, I could turn right and play 13 thru 18, which I preceded to do and easily walked off 18 with 20 minutes of sunlight to spare.  This is also a reason to invest in good rain gear and learn to love playing in the wind and rain- you get courses like Pacific Dunes to yourself!
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Gary Daughters

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 09:45:44 PM »
I have to say that driving out the gates of Bandon Dunes after 3 and a half days last fall was not a moment I cherished.  Maybe a week would have been enough for me.  Maybe not.  I'd love the chance to stay until I get bored.

This is how I did 6 rounds:

OM -2
BT - 2
PD -1
BD -1

I did have to forgo one round because driving that road to Eugene by night didn't seem prudent, so I cut out early.  Had I known I'd be doing that I might not have switched out a round at Pacific for one at Bandon Trails.  Then again maybe I would have;  I was really smitten by Trails after having the course to myself one afternoon.

Dividing up rounds at Bandon is like carving up lottery winnings.  Cut it any way, you win.  I think next time I'd do it this way:

OM - 4
PD - 3
BD - 2
BT - 1

Old Mac I could play every day, learn something new and have guaranteed fun.  Pacific Dunes I didn't get, not after one round, and that's reason enough to go back.  Bandon Dunes kicked my butt and I owe it 2 in return.  Bandon Trails is beautiful and fun, but not as inscruatable as PD and not as dynamic as BD.  

Side note: I enjoyed myself more and was able to focus better on the architecture during the 2 rounds I played alone, and I'd definitely do some of that again, especially at Pacific.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:02:11 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back