News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

La Costa GC to recieve $10 million makeover
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »
Here's a link to the article announcing a $10 million makeover to facility. The work will be carried out by Steve Pate, Damian Pascuzzo and GCA's own Jeff Brauer.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/10/design-team-giving-la-costa-an-extreme-makeover/
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jud_T

Re: La Costa GC to recieve $10 million makeover
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:41:20 PM »
Great news...Love to hear Jeff's take on this....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
I can't wait to see the work. So much of Mr. Wilson's work has been altered in a negative way over the years, especially his bunker work. Good Luck, Jeff!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »
I never really understood why LaCosta was rated in the top 100 or even among the best in CA for quite some time.

Hosting the TOC was a big deal and no doubt provided the spark for attention and placement.

Curious to hear what will be done but it will need to be something on the impressive side because LaCosta for me (save for the final four holes) was nothing really special.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »
Very cool.  Best of luck Jeff!!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:53:15 PM »
Did you read the article Matt?
I thought those were the holes they were changing....  :)

Congratulations Jeff.

Does Tommy know who you are working with....  :)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »
Mike:

That was my point to start with.

If one is going to tinker with the course it's best not to attack it's strengths but other deficiencies that are more glaring.

I wish the design team well -- for me LaCosta was placed in my rear view mirror of attention long ago.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »
Matt,

Did you read the article? The closing holes from the South course will no longer be used for tournaments! Although the bunkers look like so many jigsaw pieces from the blimp, they are wonderfully three dimensional from ground level. It is a shame that they are dropping the 9 holes that come from the South course; they contain the "Miracle Mile" finish. The 9 holes that are across the street from the 9 holes of the North course, designed by Joe Lee, although on excellent terrain for golf, never matched up to the Wilson holes. The biggest dissapointment at La Costa however, is the flatness of the greens; no movement to speak of what so ever, perhaps that will change.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »
Pete:

I read the article.

And your point is ?

I never found LaCosta to be special -- the hype from the TOC paved the way for the place to garner the praise it did.

Wilson did far better work elsewhere that often gets little attention. I also liked the miracle mile closing - it helps to have an on shore breeze blowing -- the par-5 17th was something to watch each winter when the pin was tucked hard to the right. Can remember very well when an unsung guy named Bobby Mitchell knocked off the Golden Bear too.

I wish the folks involved well -- much needs to be done because the world of design from when LaCosta was being touted has changed, as you likely well know, dramatically.

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 03:06:42 PM »
Matt,

That part of Cali is starved for good golf.  Barona is the only course that really cuts the mustard in that part of the state IMHO, although I haven't played all the privates...Any potential uptick in the greater Carlsbad/San Diego area is good news...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
Jud:

I wish them well -- frankly, the LaCosta "brand" just got very tired and their world renown spa has been met or exceeded by plenty of other top tier places.

astavrides

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:58:01 PM »
Jud:

I wish them well -- frankly, the LaCosta "brand" just got very tired and their world renown spa has been met or exceeded by plenty of other top tier places.

I still think they deservedly made the last top 10 pedicures in America list, although I concur that they have been phoning it in on their mudbaths for quite some time now.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »
what's amazing is that since the height of LaCosta year ago when the TOC was there -- the entire SoCal golf options has changed.

i wish the team well but frankly the facility needs a complete re-branding to get the ball rolling.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »
This is a very odd pairing, not sure who is going to be in charge.  Using two architects and a PGA players seems like too many chiefs and not enough Indians? It's also 3 paychecks? I'll be interested in Jeff's thoughts?

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 11:15:20 PM »
la Costa has a lot to offer including a nice piece of land,the best weather in the world and easy access to a lot of people in Phoenix,Dallas and Houston who need a summer heat escape.I think the north side is much better golf land.The south,including the miracle mile is pretty flat,has tree and space problems,and technology has taken the teeth out of the finish.Plus,those power lines on seventeen get their fair share of ball strikes unless they have been buried in the last few years.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 12:53:48 PM »
Bumping, in hopes that Jeff Brauer will see this and comment.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »
All in good time......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Lou_Duran

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 12:58:58 PM »
All in good time......

JB,

It is cold here.  What better time than now?

I thought that you were close to being done with this project by now?  Was it slow to get off the ground?  Permitting?

P.S.- played Bridges a couple more times since; like it more and more each time; great green complexes!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back