News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Flamion

Re: Chicago 2nd Annual GCA Dinner - February 2, 2011
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
I have held off on commenting until I knew my status at work, but unfortunately I will be unable to attend the dinner.

See everyone at the Mashie.

Chris

JR Potts

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2011, 07:52:03 AM »
We may need to reschedule.  The life-ending storm is coming!! 

PCCraig

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 08:06:41 AM »
We may need to reschedule.  The life-ending storm is coming!! 

Yeah...talk about bad timing! It's going to be nasty out there on Wednesday... :)
H.P.S.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2011, 08:07:19 AM »
Ryan, I talked with Greg last night regarding rescheduling. We will post later today. Tough call with speakers/guests.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Guys,

Jack and I are planning to talk later today about the possibility of rescheduling this event. Keep an eye on the board for an update tonight. If you were bringing a guest, please keep them informed as well. I don't like winter in Chicago and now I like it less!

Greg

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
my vote is to reschedule - the fear of power outages alone will cause many to cancel as a precaution.

Like me. 

That said, the weather man is selling fear. They want you to cancel plans and watch the weather related news.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2011, 11:25:43 AM »
I bet we would lose more than half the crowd, given the forecast.  It won't affect me because I live a mile away, but I'm surely in the minority in terms of proximity...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JR Potts

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »
I can say with practical certainty that my guest will be unable to attend as he is supposed to be flying in from California that day.

And ... I may not be coming into the city.

Greg Ohlendorf

Re: Chicago 2nd Annual GCA Dinner - POSTPONED
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2011, 11:43:41 AM »
Guys,

The potential weather in Chicago has forced us to postpone the dinner. We will try to get it rescheduled and will post an update. Please let your guests know.

Greg and Jack

Bill Seitz

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2011, 01:54:49 PM »
Whoa, good thing I clicked on the second page of the discussion group.  I almost missed the postponement, and I may have actually howed up since I work down the street.  Definitely for the best, though.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »
How is the weather, as bad as forecast?
Cave Nil Vino

Jud_T

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »
So far just as forecast.  Heavy winds the biggest problem thus far.  The heavy stuff isn't coming down for a while....:)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:26:08 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matthew Sander

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »
The wind is actually keeping my driveway clear for now, but as Jud said the snow isn't quite dumping yet. We'll have a better assessment in the morning...

Jud_T

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »
Apparently pieces of the roof at Wrigley Field have been flying off.  Wind gusts near 60 mph reported.  Our power on the north shore has been flickering on and off.  Thank god I sprung for the big boy generator....Silver lining is maybe we lose a few trees on area golf courses...;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:29:44 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

J_ Crisham

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
           Greg and I are exploring the possibility of rescheduling to either Feb 15 or 16th depending on the availability of both our speakers and the Erie Cafe. We hope to post soon to get a head count. Looks as though tomorrow night would be a bit frightening given the snow/wind.
                                                                      Jack

JR Potts

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 08:54:56 PM »
I have to say, maybe it's selective memory but this is the worst winter storm vie e er seen.

Jud_T

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
I may be dating myself, but I actually remember the big storm in '67.  There's a photo of me at 6 walking down a sidewalk between 6 foot drifts of snow.  But I don't know that we had winds like this...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:04:09 PM by Jud Tigerman »

PCCraig

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
It's nasty out there! I'm downtown right by the Erie Cafe and there is literally no one walking around the intersection of Ohio and Michigan Ave. Scary thing is that it's not going to stop until tomorrow at 3pm!
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2011, 09:47:09 PM »
 Not as bad up here in Madison -- heck, we drew 12,000 for Bucky's trouncing of the Boiler-boys -- but I wouldn't want to be out there driving in this stuff. Biggest cheer of the slugfest at the UW-Purdue game -- UW classes cancelled tomorrow!

PCCraig

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »
Just saw lightning with a big crack of thunder from within the snow....I think that's a first!
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »
Just saw lightning with a big crack of thunder from within the snow....I think that's a first!

Pat:

I've seen/heard that a few times -- quite cool! Really means the snow's gonna come down in buckets, or truckloads, as the case may be.

Didn't a Chicago mayor lose an election over snow-plowing failures during a big storm? Wasn't that the start of Byrne's mayoralship?

Jud_T

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
Michael Bilandic

Bill Seitz

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2011, 11:34:09 PM »
This is the worst storm I've ever seen, and I've seen some deusys, both in Chicago and Manitowoc. 

I had a plan. I was going to keep up with this storm by shoveling every hour on the hour. But I just can't keep up. There's about a 6-club wind out there right now and as soon as I get a swath of driveway clear, the wind just creates a new drift where the old one was.

UNCLE!  I'm just gonna kick back and let this sucker play out.  There's really no other choice at this point.   

I've only lived here for a little over 12 years, and I moved here from L.A., so I've never seen anything remotely close to this.  The worst we had was the storm around New Years in 1999, and that's when I was in law school, and I was home for winter break.  I was making fun of my friends in the blizzard as I sat in 70 degree weather.  This is absolutely nuts.  I take the brown line to the Merch Mart stop.  The north bound platform was so packed at 3:30 that I took the train all the way around the loop just so I could actually get on a train.

My only hope is that they have the roads cleared by Friday.  I've got a date with some slopes in Park City on Saturday.

Paul Richards

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2011, 12:35:35 AM »
Jack:

>Greg and I are exploring the possibility of rescheduling to either Feb 15

Would love to attend again.  Tuesday the 15th works.  Thanks.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

PThomas

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2011, 12:58:29 AM »
Jack:

>Greg and I are exploring the possibility of rescheduling to either Feb 15

Would love to attend again.  Tuesday the 15th works.  Thanks.

same for me, thx
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back