News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Morfar GC?  Need Info
« on: February 18, 2002, 12:31:14 PM »
I was reading an article on golf courses in the Northeast and the author mentioned Morfar GC in Brewster, NY.  Having grown up in NY (Westchester County), I was surprised that I had never heard of the club.  In addition, it is not listed in any of the internet golf course databases.  Does anyone have any information on this course?   ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Geoffrey_Walsh

Re: Morfar GC?  Need Info
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2002, 03:16:58 PM »
Here is the link for the article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/golfonline/travel/onthfly/nyc.html

In addition, here is the excerpt on the mysterious course:

"Next door to Richter Park is one of Metro New York's secret golf courses, a reclusive place called Morfar that is owned by a consortium of insurance companies and maintained as an exclusive retreat, replete with overnight lodges. Legend has it that tee times are slated hourly, and that a day with six groups is considered busy."

scott_wood

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2002, 06:06:07 PM »
i can shed a little light on your question. Morefar was originally the private 9 hole course of the  C V Starr, the legendary founder of what is now known as AIG insurance company, and was located on his country estate north of NY.(it shares the south side of a LARGE lake with Richter Park)

In the 60's a second more open,longer nine was added, in fairly stark contrast to the original short, tree lined quirky nine. There is very little play, but a connections to AIG's extensive network of companies is not THAT hard to find. The conditioning is , naturally, "top shelf", the setting is "bucolic" what with its lakeside and rolling hill setting. Front nine is typical  "old NE" ,tight,short, small rolling greens.  Back nine as metioned is more open, "modrrn" ,with many "rolling" holes.,and challenging!!

The truly unique spect of Morefar , in addition to its pedigreed and "exclusivity" is its ART COLLECTION. C V was a world class collector of asian/chinese art (AIG ws founded in china) and the cousre is chock ablock full of statues, pagoda, and knick knack. Several are located in play (especially on a "off day").

The best TRUE story about the art is about the life size bronze (thus dark green colour) nude which is situated in a bunker at the rear of the ninth hole. Tradition holds that whoever rubs the left breast of the statue will experience a better back nine. It isn't a surprise to tell you that the left breast is very shiny!!

If you get the chance..GO..it's FUN, and you won' t be disappointed with the  meal the phillipino staff serves up, after the round.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 05:50:57 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for shedding some light on this course.  BTW, do you know who designed the 9's?  Forget the crocodiles at Gary Player CC, I'd like to nominate the life-size bronze nude as the toughest hazard I have ever heard of...

Does anyone have any other examples where sculpture or art is included in the course design?

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2002, 06:15:10 AM »
Scott,

The article spelled the name of the course incorrectly (Morfar instead of Morefar).  When I used your spelling, the information about the course came up...

Year built: 1964
Designed By: Edward Ryder & Val Carlson

Thanks for the help.

Matt_Davenport

Re: Morfar GC/Richter Park
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2002, 06:59:41 AM »
Edward Ryder also designed Richter Park...

scott_wood

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2002, 03:30:07 PM »
geoff, they must have done the back nine only in 64. The original nine ,from its style, dates to the 20s or 30s, i would guess., but i have no idea who gets the credit. Being that it was a personal course for Mr Starr, perhpas it was "home grown" or by someone of lesser note.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back