News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

I think we should post more construction photos. Maybe we donīt beacuse it so hard to pick up whatīs really there. For example these photos donīt show the fairway movement or the big back left bunker that will produce a downhill lie for most. The two bowls in the back center will be grass and the back bowl to the right will be sand with that section of the green running in that direction. I am posting these photos in relation to the thread currently being discussed on trees in front of a par three. Hopefully I can post some grassed photos in the next couple of months. Happy New Years to all from South America. The photos were taken about ten day ago in Cordaba, Argentina.

Back tee

looking back at right part of the green

Looking back at left part of the green

looking back at middle part of green and the gentle swale

Swale in the middle benching up to the left portion of the green

Looking at the swale and how the green benches down to the right portion of the green

right and back portion of the green

Loooking from left to right

Lower right portion of the green

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:58:25 PM by Randy Thompson »

paul cowley

Re: Construction photos-Designing with and around trees on a par three
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
Looking really good Randy. I like the dirt phase as much as the greening up...maybe even more.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 12:08:39 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:58:21 AM »
What are the white chalk lines used for?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »
Mac,

Those mark where the subsurface perf. tiles go in typical herringbone fashion.

Randy and Paul,

Not sure if we really want to get into this discussion here, but has anyone ever questioned the herrignbone pattern?   Your greens seem similar to mine in having a few gentle swales, with the main line running down the bottom of the swale and the laterals at 45 degrees.  It appears to me on the photos and many of my greens that those laterals are basically installed parallel to the line of flow.  Shouldn't they be perpendicular to minimize flow to 15 feet or so?

Not that I have ever seen any surface problems as a result, so it may be more theoretical than real, but it seems that the herringbone pattern could be improved.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 12:15:43 PM »
Randy, will that be a USGA-spec green?  Doesn't look very sandy, is the soil all clay?

In this case I really like the way that left-side tree will impact play but doesn't block the center line.

We loved the 5 days we spent in Buenos Aires three years ago (although no golf), would love to see the Cordoba area.  A group of guys from Pensacola goes down to that area to bird hunt every March and say it's a great area.

Congratulations on having a course under construction!

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Jeff and Randy

I agree that drain pipe should be installed as much as perpendicular to maximize Agua Horizontalis Velocity Interruptus [a scientific term that I made up to better verbalize with myself internally]. By the curving nature of the 'smiley' layout I assume you are using some form of flexible pipe...what do y'all use down there SOB? [no, am not calling Randy a name, but instead using an abbreviation for South Of Border].

Sheesh...basic communication shouldn't be this complicated. :)

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
Jeff,
Like everything, I try to keep it simple, the drain main drain lines are running in the low areas when possible and lateral with fifteen foot lateral spacing. if the natural slope is steep enough I iwll let it run a little longer and have found the smilely at the exiting of the greens to be super important. this particular greens has four exits and four smileys! Its the first time I am running one of those exits into a bunker because I want a hot running shot to end up there and it a very small portion of the green that will actually slope into the bunker. The area is light on rainfall so hopefully it wonīt be a big problem.

Bill,
Actually I have four under construction in different phases but its the designs phase that pays the bills. I couldnīt do both when things were active before the world slow down so I have two brothers that have worked for me for a number of years that are doing turn key construction and let me barrow money every now and then. Of the four under construction, one is the seocnd nine from a design of ten years ago, another from five years ago and another from three and half years ago and the pictures from a design of a little over a year ago and construction started two months ago. i also have a fifth that they consider to be under construction and advertise as such but for me one wheel borrow a month doesnīt constitue under construction but I would not be surprized to see that go forward in the next two months. i have just finished a master plan and should get the go ahead on the design phase in February but could take as long as April. I also should be designing six holes par three course for Buenos Aires golf in February but that has been getting delayed since September, so who knows. Four holes to finish constructing for a nine hole project in Brazil that has been stopped for six years, should be under construction for June. Since I can no longer eat from construction and things continue to be slow in the design area, I just picked up three holes, re-design of greens and surroundings near the house and I am doing the construction for the next month. Just spent the frist two days on the sand pro doing some fine shaping, nice to be back on a machine and playing in the dirt but am I sore today but at least not hungry, just finished some pinto beans and salad. The good news is the shaping should be finished on Wednesday and I can charge for the design phase and then its straight to the supermarket for a can of tuna! 2011 is shaping up to be a year in the black, something I have not seen for three years.
 The greens will not be USGA but will be Californina sand based greens which is similar to USGA but without the peat and the four inch gravel layer and will also skip on the sterilization process.

Paul,
I am completing this month my 20 year anniversay in south america. Twenty year ago we used thin walled plastic pipe and drilled holes in it for drainage. but now, every country has copied ADS. For the project nesar the house that I am constructing I just bought the copy becasue ADS didnīt answer my request for a quotation but they are here in Chile. The copy is good but they donīt make Teeīs for instance and I had to buy some extra crosses and caps to fabricate my own tee.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:53:40 PM by Randy Thompson »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
Randy,

Yeah, smilies are important. :)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Randy Thompson

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 02:00:32 PM »
Jeff,
 and not only in green construction! ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:07:22 PM by Randy Thompson »

paul cowley

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
Randy....yours was the first post that I can remember that made me hungry! Just ate a can of tuna with salt and hot sauce.

I wish you good eating and a Prosperous 2011!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »
In the black was great news for all the self-employed in 2010!  Way to go!

paul cowley

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »
Cheers to that Bill....maybe in 2011 ;)

Randy Thompson

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
In the black was great news for all the self-employed in 2010!  Way to go!
2010 wasnīt but 2011 will be! I hope it spreads every where and not in just three or four regions! i am getting to old for a sand pro!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
Cheers to that Bill....maybe in 2011 ;)

I share the pain with you and Randy!  The mantra has been, "Stay afloat!"  Now it's "In the black in 2011!"   ;D

paul cowley

Re: Construction photos-Designing with and around trees on a par three New
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »
Randy, don't ever get too old for a sand pro least I put you in a wheelbarrow!!

Bill and Randy

Guys...I am just beginning to feel a very small but positive shift in MY development world after 2.5 yrs of total decline.
Hopefully we all will in the near future!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:52:29 PM by paul cowley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back