News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Merry Christmas - what kind of people post on golfclubatlas?
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:08:36 PM »
Just thought I'd share a little good cheer today, don't know if I'll be around tomorrow or Friday.

I've been on this site forever - maybe too long for some folks tastes. But one of the side benefits is that I have amassed a bunch of friends that I've only rarely even met. Folks that do things like:

1) One long time poster who comforted me post-knee surgery 6 years ago made it down to my home (in my heart) golf course, Barnbougle Dunes. He happened to be in the Burgh this past summer for a visit, and guess what he gave me? The Barnbougle Dunes history book (it's amazing, btw). He actually brought one back from the other side of the world for me (well, maybe he just had one left over, the sentiment is the same either way :)).

2) I opened my mailbox the other day and guess what I found in it? More stuff from the other side of the world. One of my friends Down Under that I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet collected a bunch of recent magazine featuring the latest addition down in Tasmania. Knowing you have people thinking of you on the other side of the world just makes life a little more enjoyable.

3) Another day, maybe 6 months or so ago, I opened my mailbox and found something from Oregon. One of my very favorite posters sent me a car window sticker that said "GCA". He found it somewhere, it was unrelated to golfclubatlas, yet he bought it and sent one to me. How cool is that?

4) A random quip resulted in raising enough money for another nice young lad from Down Under getting the chance to experience a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the opening of Old Mac.

And these are just a handful of the more recent things that I've observed.

It's easy to be cynical - "We live in a cynical world - a - cynical - world" to quote Jerry Maguire. It's easy to look at everyone on this site and see where they're playing and think, those guys just care about access.

I beg to differ.

Those guys just care about golf. And people. People first, really.

Thanks everyone for making my life just a little more enjoyable.

Feel free to share your own stories.

And have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dale Jackson

Re: Merry Christmas - what kind of people post on golfclubatlas?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:21:56 PM »
George, what a great post, especially given the time of year.  This is an amazing group, a couple more stories.

A GCAer continues to invite others to play one of the more prominent new courses in Canada, just to see them enjoy themselves on a great course (and soon, very soon, I hope to get there myself).  He bought a round for 4 at my home course at an auction and them let others play.

Another member organized an ongoing "get to know" series on GCA that allowed all of us to learn more about some fellow members and to ask some questions of real experts in the field!  There are some some names on this group I make of point of always reading, and yours is one George.

Merry Christmas.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jim Hoak

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:33:15 PM »
What a wonderful time of year--regardless of nationality, religion or other beliefs.  Traditions, family, home, friends . . .  .  I hope that all of you are able to enjoy it.
It's nice to hear from people who care passionately about the wonderful game of golf.
Merry Christmas!  And to all best wishes for a peaceful, successful, healthy and blessed 2011.

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:41:44 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

great sentiments , perfect timing ! I've been ranting on another thread about theevils of govenrment in golf and this breath of fresh air blows thru..

merry christmas .......happy festivus ........God Bless

thanks George

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
A Festivus for the rest of us. :) Archie, I can't even look at that thread! Otherwise, I'd be in there with you...

Thanks Dale for the too kind words.

[For those that are wondering, I decided to postpone new GTK threads till after the New Year - (apologies to those who have committed to doing one). After Ran's posts in Sept/Oct, I thought it would be good to take a little break, and the winter months are really the best time for said threads anyway.]
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:32:51 PM »
Great stories George.

GCA at it's core is a great place with many interesting and fun people. This past year was probably my most prolific in meeting others from GCA (the Midwest Mashie at Lost Dunes and the various Chicago GCA get togethers helped :) ) and I've enjoyed meeting, golfing, and drinking with everyone. Hopefully 2011 will be much of the same!
H.P.S.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 02:46:56 PM »
for those unfamiliar with Festivus..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS7-jcsB_WQ
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »
Just to put some balance in the world let me state that I hate these threads declaring how great we all are.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
Thanks John! 

I remember very well teeing it up with you, Eric, and Tony. 

On hole 14, I think it was, Tony said "I think a key attribute of a good golf course is that it should be playable for all."

To which you quickly responded "I don't.  I think some people shouldn't even be allowed to play golf at all!!"   ;D

Perhaps it wasn't even the words that were so funny, it was the nonchalant, matter of fact delivery.  No emotion.  You voice didn't raise.  And you didn't hesitate one second before voicing your opinion.  Classic!!

Seriously, Merry Christmas!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 03:43:44 PM »
Mac, Jax wasn't kidding.

And Jax, your mere presence is more than balance enough, no thoughts needed. The stories I shared were not meant to show anyone's greatness, merely their goodness. I don't expect you to understand the difference.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
George...

I know he wasn't kidding.  That is what added to the comedy of it for me.  He really believed that!

Anyway, that is one of the things I appreciated about spending time with John.  He lets you know where he stands and, therefore, you know where he is coming from.  I find that refreshing as a lot of people say one thing in front of people and another behind their back. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »
George...

I know he wasn't kidding.  That is what added to the comedy of it for me.  He really believed that!

Anyway, that is one of the things I appreciated about spending time with John.  He lets you know where he stands and, therefore, you know where he is coming from.  I find that refreshing as a lot of people say one thing in front of people and another behind their back. 

Mac,

I let you get buy with saying I have the ball striking abilities of a +4 but to say that I do not talk behind peoples backs is going too far.  We did have a great trip though and should once again this summer.  Merry Christmas.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »
What kind of people post on golfclubatlas? Why... golf-architecture loving bastards, scrooges and idiots... of course ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) ::) ::) :-* :-* ;) ;)!
JK has officially opened up the GCA "REALITY" CHRISTMAS THREAD...so I figured I'd pile on the sled and start it down the slippery slope!

All kidding aside, despite the occasional barbs and regrettable remarks, overall, it's a pretty solid lot of good eggs on this channel. Thanks to Ran, Ben and all who have reached out to me this year. I look forward to more stimulating GCA conversation and engaging company in 2011!

Cheers,
Kris Kringle 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jed Peters

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 05:17:36 PM »
What kind of people post on GCA?

--Nerds and 'pullers.

Tyler Ince

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 12:49:05 AM »
Since one week after 9/11 I have had the pleasure of playing golf annually in the states, Ireland and Scotland with the "Gorsemen" 3 of my best friends.  Last year my friend Mark passed away tragically at the finish of a half marathon. Being a college athlete and 32 yrs old with a wife and two daughters 3 and 1, it caught us all off guard. The very next golf trip the remaining "Gorsemen" was to Ballyneal where Jim Colton and several of you hosted the 3 of us.  It was fairly emotional for us to be without Mark on the golf course for the first time, but being around guys with like interest and pure, kindred spirits showed us there are definitely more than 3 "Gorsemen" out there.  Thanks to GCA and the guys that are the glue that keeps it together for helping us through such a tough time.  I look forward to many other trips with fellow GCAers.  Just wish I had more time to read the threads and post! - from somewhere in the Caribbean Sea.....
'til the Road Hole....

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 01:08:50 AM »
Tyler,

Great post.  One of the guys who tagged along on our used-to-be-annual trip tragically passed away as well a couple years back.  This year we're all reuniting for the first time since the accident back at Bandon...It won't be the first guy I've mourned on the golf course either.  Lets face it there's something spiritual about being with close friends at such places...A perfect holiday sentiment.  Not to mention all the great guys I met this year and those who invited me out to some pretty sweet tracks expecting nothing in return except good humor and quick play out of this middle aged hack...Happy holidays all.....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:51:45 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andy Gray

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 05:13:51 AM »
George, great post. It's a sentiment I'm sure a majority of people on here feel the same way about.

As the lucky person mentioned in item 4, I can't thank the people on this site enough for the opportunity that was afforded to me to make that trip to Bandon. I met some of the most wonderful and generous people on my trip, and to me that now is more important to me than getting to play the courses I did. It was an other-worldly experience, and one in which I still talk about to my unfortunate and disinterested friends. I often think about the people I met over there too, and can honestly say that I refer to them as friends, even after knowing them for only 2 or 3 days. In fact, next week I will be heading to Melbourne with a friend that I met in Bandon from New York, and we are playing RMWest (East is closed unfortunately), Kingston Heath and Metropolitan (tried for Victoria but the greens were just cored). Now I'm on holidays I will create a thread detailing my journey to Bandon, and add on the continuation of that journey starting in Melbourne next week, and Barnbougle in March.

I think it's a rare and wonderful group of people on here that would do the things they do for what is essentially a stranger, as many of the stories above allude to. Once again, thank you to everyone for everything good that happens on here. I feel extremely privileged and grateful to be a part of this group of people.

Merry Christmas and a safe and happy new year!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back