News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SL_Solow

Re: Is GolfClubAtlas Imploding Modern Architecture
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2002, 01:17:58 PM »
Food for thought.  I support your intention to discourage/prohibit anonymous posts.  Its nice to know the identity of the people you hang out with and to know that they are willing to be identified with their ideas.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

THuckaby2

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2002, 01:26:17 PM »
Word of caution:  prohibition of anonymous posts seems logical and sounds like a good idea, but:

a) It can never really be enforced - people can always find a way to defeat it if they want to bad enough; and

b) attempting such has lead to the ruin of many good discussion groups prior to this one.

Dan King can attest to all of this, as can Tommy N. or any of us who found rec.sports.golf, golfonline's grill room and equipment forums, as well as several others, beginning quite a few years ago.

My advice, unsolicited, take it for what it's worth, is that ignoring inflammatory posts, plus a lot of HOPE and good faith, is the only way to keep a DG alive and healthy.

I have high hopes for GCA.  But that being said, if a few ill-meaning individuals want to ruin it, they surely could.  Thus I am always wary of GCA getting too much press... sorry Ran!

TH

JakaB

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2002, 01:43:45 PM »
As a quasi-anon I would never post on this or any other internet site under my given name.  I am just a very private and shy individual who doesn't feel my family, friends or associates should be held accountable for interpretations of my writings.   Even in the real world I never ask anyone their last name or occupation...I find it both rude and inhibitive to free social interaction.

Steve Okula

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2002, 01:57:12 PM »
Prohibitng anonymous posts would be a mistake. It would inhibit the free flow of  ideas and eliminate the participation of knowledgable people from the DG.

Anyone knows how political the golf industry is. There are people posting here - good, kind, intelligent, conscientious, people - who need to make a living at golf and therefore could never post their true opinions with their real names.

An the other hand, there should be a ruling body with the wisdom and judgement to delete anonymous posts that are clearly profane, abusive, and without any redeeming social value.

THuckaby2

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2002, 02:10:29 PM »

there should be a ruling body with the wisdom and judgement to delete anonymous posts that are clearly profane, abusive, and without any redeeming social value.

Yep, that is the one and only BEST way to make any DG run correctly.  The problem is, even people devoted to this (as the sysop Tom Ierubino was at the golfonline grillroom) don't have the time nor energy to monitor the board 24/7.  Ran definitely has a life, I hear.  ;)  We can't expect him to do this.

Nope, sorry to be so pessimistic, but people could ruin this if they wanted.  We can only ignore.  Thankfully, GCA is a church picnic to date in terms of unwanted, inflammatory posts.

TH

RJ_Daley

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2002, 05:09:14 PM »
If GCA were an IPO, based upon Ran's prospectus of current stats, I'd buy in.  It has better fundamentals than most all of the dot.comers, and the CEO isn't selling on bogus cooked books ahead of an impending crash.  We are trending up.  

I predict that a developer of a future significant golf course or club development effort will seriously consult with known GCA contributors based on their history of comments herein.  I know Geoff S and Jeff M didn't get into their relationships specifically due to GCA, and indeed formed their relationships with Hanse and Whitmann respectively based on their publications writings.  But, I firmly believe that what is said in here is getting noticed.  If I were a betting man, I'd say the Emperor, the Doyen, or the Bunkers are hazards-silly guy will be among the first to be consulted, if and when that circumstance presents itself.  Not in anyway intending to pass on so many more knowlegeable and articulate posters. :D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2002, 06:48:46 PM »
RJ Daley,

One of the great things about being a critic is that you don't have to put your money where your mouth is.  ;)

I certainly appreciate your sentiments and kind words.  However, I also know my limitations.  If asked to consult on a project, I would be simultaneously honored and scared to death!  

I say this because I have a appreciation bordering on awe regarding what architects are able to do to create a golf course.  Even with courses that I criticise with gusto, I am only too aware of many of the difficulties of creating art on a changeable, limited canvas.  It's much easier for me to sit back after the fact, and comment on what works and what doesn't than to imagine that I could have somehow done better before or during the course conceptual and construction processes.

There are so many factors and variable involved that I frankly am limited in knowledge of things like drainage, grassing strains, environmental restrictions, and a whole host of technical considerations that are way beyond my educational level and areas of specialization.

I guess what I'm saying probably isn't different than what many others hear know implicitly; that there is a world of difference between knowing what you like or don't about a work of art and actually being able to do it yourself.  :)

BillV

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2002, 12:33:23 AM »
Record number of posts on Valentine's Day?  

What does that say about the group! Not tonight honey, I have a threadache.

Golf or Sex?   The age old question.  

Which can you do sun up to sun down?  I know one member who can do it the other way around, does frequently, and I'm not tellin' who! ::)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2002, 09:24:50 AM »
Dr Bill, ye doesn't has'ta tell us who he is, just tell us what he's takin... ;D

Mike, you are entirely too modest.  I said consult, not build the darn thing!  8)  I think wise developer-owners will always seek out ideas from people who have a track record of intelligent analysis.  You fit that bill quite well, as do others who participate here.  Far more insightful comments and ideas on GCA appear in this forum on a more frequent and indepth basis than the majority of golf magazines.  I have no doubt that a significant number of regular contributors here would have more to offer in a consultant relationship with a lead competent architect than most touring pro signature jobidoos. When and if those opportunities to consult on GCA design or restoration ideas may be offered, don't underestimate yourselves.  That will be a clear signal that GolfClubAtlas is not imploding.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back