News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Re: Moortown: Yorkshire's other Alister MacKenzie Masterpiece...
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »
Mark is right, Ganton is a comfortable number 1 but then it is likely the bast inland course in the country, let alone county.  For me, though, Alwoodley is a very comfortable number 2.  Clearly superior to Moortown in my book.  Moortown is a very good course but I have never loved playing there the way I love playing at Alwoodley or Ganton.  Part of this may be down to the greens, which are more interesting at Alwoodley but, I think, mostly down to the land.  Despite their proximity I think Alwoodley is on better ground both in terms of contour and in terms of playability

I don't know Ganton, but otherwise, +1.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

James Boon

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 05:01:14 PM »
How are the greens?  Do they have any decent internal movement?

Ciao

Sean, I certainly remember the 8th green being quite interesting regarding internal contours as I went on to tell my brother about the NLE green at Sitwell Park as we were playing the next hole, and a few others were also interesting. However I recall most being flat or with a single slope across the green.

Niall,

Interesting theory regarding the ditches. Certainly worth further investigation.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jim Eder

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »
Thanks for the great photos. I have always liked this course quite a bit but sadly have played it far fewer than I would like. After seeing these I must change that very soon. Thanks for bringing back great memories and fanning the flames of another visit hopefully in the near future. Ganton, Alwoodley, Moortown. What a wonderful way to live life to the fullest. There is just something about them that bring a warm feeling to my heart.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »
Boony,
Thanks for posting this photo tour.  It may take a while to load, but it's worth it, especially all those of the Gibraltar hole.  The story of that being a demo hole is fantastic.  Would be an interesting exercise to look at other courses we like and pick out which hole would best serve that same sort of purpose.

With but one trip a year to England I'm never going to see all of these courses.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 05:53:11 AM »
I just completed a small MacKenzie North Yorkshire "study" tour this weekend…

Four courses: Sand Moor, Moortown, Ilkley & Alwoodley…

In short, Moortown met and surpassed expectations… Ken Moodie’s bunker work was to my liking and the course had a more open heath feel than I was expecting (although not so much as nearby Alwoodley)…

Knowing that Gibralter had originally been the eighth, it was quite easy to work out that the current 6th and 7th were the new additions… They have been cut through the woodland and are both good holes if a little more enclosed… 6 plays to a lovely raised green against the angle of play and I could swear that they have cleared all the trees behind the 7th green since James took the photo’s above… That green now sits quite prettily…

The major let down with the course is the sardine effect of 11, 12, 13 & 14… You could see where there was a par-3 previously (now confirmed by the cigarette card above) and it’s interesting to note that the final one of these holes (14) used to be a 4 and then a 3 because I did feel the green site felt a little squashed in…

These holes are quite good in themselves (albeit with 2 blind drives and 2 blind approaches) but heading back up that hill away from the clubhouse again on 13 was slightly demoralising…

Still, the course had a variety of very good to excellent holes… Gibraltar was the pick of the one-shotters but they were all good… There were a variety of approach bunkers adding deception… It was playing very firm and fast (recent drainage works are still obvious and bedding in)… Green sites and undulations offered different challenges also… Perhaps my favourite hole of the bunch was 18 which was reminiscent (but better) of the closing hole at Blairgowrie Rosemount…

Maybe I’ll start a quick comparison thread between the 4 courses I saw…

James Boon

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 07:58:29 AM »
Ally,

Thanks for bumping this thread. I'd like to hear your comparison of the courses you visited.

Interesting that you mention Blairgowrie's Rosemount as I was there recently and am just putting the finishing touches to a photo tour and history which I hope to post shortly. I can see where you are coming from comparing both courses last holes, a similar feel indeed but Moortown's plays a lot longer!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 08:17:43 AM »
Hi James,

I've just been doing some website checking... It appears 6 & 7 were added in 1989, presumably at the same time as 12,13,14 were altered?... If that is so, what work was supposed to have been done around 1999 / 2000?...

Looking at their website, it is also abundantly clear that there has been tree-clearing taking place (they could just do with a little widening and strategising on 6 & 7 now)... It also makes perfect sense that the old 1st would have been the current 12th, breaking up that area of the course which is a little bit of a drag... I think it would have played better with the original routing for sure...

Ben Stephens

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 08:46:12 AM »
Hi Ally,

I played Alwoodley in March this year. Ken Moodie (I think) has been involved in reworking/reshaping the bunkers. Hole 18 was recently done and it looks impressive. Playing Sandmoor in 2 weeks time - it would be good to see your comments prior to playing it.

Cheers
Ben

Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back