News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ashley Clinch

Course suggestions in Adelaide and surrounds
« on: December 02, 2010, 03:29:53 AM »
I am heading to Adelaide for a few weeks just after Christmas to catch up with my wifes family. Any suggestions of hidden gems in Adelaide? My brother in law plays at Grange and I usually have a few games there, always keen to see how Clayts renovations are now playing.

In the past have played Lady Bay, Fleurieu, Victor and Blackwood. What a mixed bag now that I see it in writing!!

Terry Thornton

Re: Course suggestions in Adelaide and surrounds
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 04:44:28 AM »
Ashley,

I think with Felurieu, Blackwood and Lady Bay you've picked the eyes out of the hidden gems. RA, Kooyonga and Glenelg not 'hidden' but certainly worth a visit. RA has one Clayton hole as well.

Perhaps Gawler Golf Club (Sandy Creek) qualifies as well, close to the Barossa valley if you're up that way. Tea Tree Gully another worthwhile '2nd tier'

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 05:26:02 AM »
try Murray Bridge, if you are on the way from Melbourne.  About an hour from Adelaide up the freeway.  Good mild sand dune use on may holes, kikuyu fairways with small, pure greens.  Good green complexes, and a mixture of short holes and long holes, and a couple of shorter pa 5's.  Lots of fun.

Otherwise, you are heading for the country - south-east or riverland.  Plenty of options there.

The other options around Adelaide are 'a game of golf' with many having good conditioning, especially with the wetter winter this year.  However, in terms of architecture, well... 

One of my preferences in that area is perhaps the least conditioned.  Thaxted Park, in the far southern suburbs.  Built on ordinary soil but with good use of a wash-out creek bed (The Californians would call it a barranca) throughout the back nine.  Some forgettable holes, but also some memorable ones.  Several good green complexes but few bunkers.  Definitely a ground game course, especially in summer.  It can get very hot in summer, and 'fast and firm' is probably an understatement.  If you have a sense of humour you will enjoy many of the holes.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 04:49:33 PM »
Ashley
definitely try to see if you can get a game at Glenelg if you can, I'd say its well worth a visit but I am a little biased. Riverside is another sand belt course that has some nice holes. Murray Bridge as James said is a fun little track and some nice holes at Gawler (Sandy Creek) as well.

James Bennett

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 02:46:39 AM »
My apologies Neil.

I assumed the sandbelt had been covered.

Honestly, Glenelg has the best set of bunkers on the Adelaide sandbelt.  You should see Neil's 'half-rivet' style, even if you don't play.  Better if you do play though.  There is a good reason for the style, given the local conditions and wind.  Glenelg is well worth a visit, ahead of all my previous suggestions.

Obviously Royal Adelaide is the stand-out in Adelaide.  And Kooyonga has the best golfing ground in Adelaide.  And you already play at Grange West.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Ashley Clinch

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »
Thanks, Terry, James and Neil.   :)

Ashley Clinch

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »
Just an update having returned from my Adelaide trip.

I played Murray Bridge on James and Neils recomendations and found it to be very enjoyable. The holes closest to the clubhouse particuarly good with their sandy waste areas in scrubby pines. For $20 green fee defintely a gem.

Played Grange but only the East which is about to be redesigned by Norman. This redesign is well overdue with a hotch potch of holes now with diffenent bunkering, green surfaces. I have always felt also that some holes go against the natural contour of the land, eg. 16, 13, 6.....the par fives!!Have seen the master plan which is available on line, big changes planned.

Had the good fortune of spending a 10 days in Warrnamabool on the way home. I played the local Warrnambool Golf Club most nights after dinner. This course qualifies as a hidden gem despite having holes that are very average. The holes in the dune system, 3, 5,6 are great with fantastic strategic questions asked of your golf game. It's a shame the rest of the course doesn't make full use of the dunes although I hear that Ross Perrett may be doing some redesign work there.

Had a game also at port Fairy which was as always exhilirating, particuarly the back 9. Mike Clayton's work on the font nine has really opened up the view lines which I think has been of real benefit on holes 3,5 and 7 but not so much on 8, 17 and 18. These latter holes I feel now are too open.

All up a great holiday on the road with lots of chances to play golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back