News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: Carts v Walking
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 01:22:55 PM »
Any car wreck is going to generate rubbernecks, does not mean it is worthwhile. Can we give this topic at least a six-month break?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 01:32:02 PM »

Duncan

Great topic, it’s at the heart of the modern game, but this lot are mainly interested in the top 50 or 100 clubs.  GCA has sod all to do with some on here and we waste pages on lists and Rankings of clubs which has zero to do with GCA.

You have every right to voice your opinion, just as much right as those  who don’t want to talk about it.

Many are not interested in golf, design, or history, as long as they can ride, drink and not use their little brains they are happy. Their friends will walk, but they care not about others as long as they get what they want.

Golf has no place for carts (for the fit), if the Authorities had Balls they would do something about it  - as for our fellow members they forget that there is an on off button and also they have no need in posting on a subject not to their interest.  But you will learn many are nasty on this site.

I have many friend here but they believe in the freedom of speech, opinions and belief which is how it should be. Be your own Man and welcome.

Melvyn

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »

Richard

I take it that you still do not take your own advice i.e. 'do some searching'  ;)

Good to see you posting again, even on this topic  ;D

Melvyn

Terry Lavin

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »
Freedom of speech, of course, also includes the right to say the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, again.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 02:31:30 PM »
Any car wreck is going to generate rubbernecks, does not mean it is worthwhile. Can we give this topic at least a six-month break?

A little testy after that OhioSt. beatdown, Richard?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »
Richard,

It beats reading another what are you reading thread.  These walking threads actually help out my mind set when I find myself either paired or stuck behind a group of walkers.  It is important for us all to be reminded that not everyone walks and carries their own just because they are cheap.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
Seriously Duncan, I would suggest strongly that you do some searching before posting a new topic. As other have said Walking Golfer is a pretty well known entity around here and this topic has been hashed to death many times before (all within last several months).

I know you are new here, but really...

I might be new here, but I am no newcomer to internet forums.

I did several searches for relevent terms before starting the thread, and nothing came up. On the basis of this, I assumed that the topic had not been covered.

Perhaps the search facility needs looking at...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »
Duncan,

Don't worry for a second.  We're glad you're here, whether you walked here or came in a cart!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »
I know of a couple who died driving their buggy into a ravine in Spain, however I personally know several golfers who've died walking around the course from heart attacks so I guess walking is more dangerous for your health!!  ;)
Cave Nil Vino

David_Tepper

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 03:20:35 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is the policy on walking vs. riding at most of the golf resorts in Spain & Portugal?

William_G

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »
Seriously Duncan, I would suggest strongly that you do some searching before posting a new topic. As other have said Walking Golfer is a pretty well known entity around here and this topic has been hashed to death many times before (all within last several months).

I did several searches for relevent terms before starting the thread, and nothing came up. On the basis of this, I assumed that the topic had not been covered.

Search for walkinggolfer.com

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 03:39:39 PM »

Thanks

Or just look at Melvyn's posts...

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »

Duncan

Great topic, it’s at the heart of the modern game, but this lot are mainly interested in the top 50 or 100 clubs.  GCA has sod all to do with some on here and we waste pages on lists and Rankings of clubs which has zero to do with GCA.

You have every right to voice your opinion, just as much right as those  who don’t want to talk about it.

Many are not interested in golf, design, or history, as long as they can ride, drink and not use their little brains they are happy. Their friends will walk, but they care not about others as long as they get what they want.

Golf has no place for carts (for the fit), if the Authorities had Balls they would do something about it  - as for our fellow members they forget that there is an on off button and also they have no need in posting on a subject not to their interest.  But you will learn many are nasty on this site.

I have many friend here but they believe in the freedom of speech, opinions and belief which is how it should be. Be your own Man and welcome.

Melvyn

Thank you Melvyn,

I really didn't realise I was opening such a can of worms!

I should emphasise that I come from a golfing culture where carts are pretty well alien. Most clubs have a few for use by elderly members and visitors or by those with health problems, but by and large no-one in my part of England rides a cart.

I hope that you can understand then, my shock and surprise at discovering that cart usage in America is not only de rigeur but in some cases mandatory.  I connect golf carts with Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Ronald Reagan - I never imagined that 'ordinary' golfers ever used them!

I would like to be fair minded and non-judgemental on this; however, I agree completely with Melvyn. Golf carts have no place in the game for anyone able to walk the course. I always thought that golf was a sport. If people use carts then it just proves this guy to be right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv3WsAj0aVY

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 03:49:34 PM »

Thanks

I just did.

One page of results - ALL from this thread!

In other words, no results at all from any previous threads...

...ever!

Scott Warren

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 03:52:28 PM »
Duncan:

The search function is a strange one, I guess. When I search for thewalkinggolfer I get two pages of results.

Melvyn:

as for our fellow members they forget that there is an on off button and also they have no need in posting on a subject not to their interest.  But you will learn many are nasty on this site.

The lack of self-awareness is staggering.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:03:59 PM by Scott Warren »

John Keenan

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 03:57:36 PM »
Duncan

The topic has been covered many times.  The poor search results speak more to the search engine than to how many times the topic has been covered.

No real issue if some want to go over it yet again If you are not interested in the topic you can skip it. 

As to what are you reading the content does change as different books are being read, On this topic the lines have been drawn. Highly unlikely Mr Morris would ever ride in a cart or agree that others can.

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 04:03:46 PM »
Duncan

The topic has been covered many times. 

Can someone please link me to a thread where this topic has been covered? I've spent the evening searching but still cannot find one!

Eric Smith

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »
Duncan,

I think I see the problem with your search.  Don't search using the search box above as it will search only this page. Click on the small looking glass to the left of the box. This will take you to the advanced search. Good luck.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
Check out this hard-to-believe anecdote from a recent visit to Biloxi, MS:

Showed up in the morning at a high-end daily fee, and wandered towards the range.  Older starter says, "hit some balls for awhile, I'm gonna send out these 8 fellows first."

I had a PM tee time elsewhere, maybe 30 minutes away, so I said, "if you don't mind, I'll skip the warm-up, and jump out ahead of these 2 groups."

He says, "you can't go ahead of those guys, you are walking,  They'll be much faster because they're in carts."  I was dumbfounded for a sec, and then I said," just let me out ahead of them, and I'll keep up the pace, I promise."  He said, "well, OK, but I'll need you to step aside if you are holding them up!"

Needless to say, I never saw them once I walked off the first green....and how can a fellow who woeks at a GC be so incredibly clueless?

PCCraig

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »

Showed up in the morning at a high-end daily fee, and wandered towards the range.  Older starter says, "hit some balls for awhile, I'm gonna send out these 8 fellows first."

I had a PM tee time elsewhere, maybe 30 minutes away, so I said, "if you don't mind, I'll skip the warm-up, and jump out ahead of these 2 groups."

He says, "you can't go ahead of those guys, you are walking,  They'll be much faster because they're in carts."  I was dumbfounded for a sec, and then I said," just let me out ahead of them, and I'll keep up the pace, I promise."  He said, "well, OK, but I'll need you to step aside if you are holding them up!"

Needless to say, I never saw them once I walked off the first green....and how can a fellow who woeks at a GC be so incredibly clueless?

I've seen many slow walking golfers...but unfortunatley most golf course employees are as clueless as the masses and don't know better.
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2010, 05:03:04 PM »

Zoel,

What was your business at the course, research or leisure?  Most people falsely assume that research takes much more time than a leisure round.  You can't always judge a hit and runner at face value.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »

Joel

If people ride and use distance aids what makes you think that they are capable of understanding, unless they have yet another little gadget to tell them.  :(

Their persistence in riding and used outside aids just adds to their inability to understand the environment or courses. Probably the reason why we have so many top ranking lists coming out each week, they are there to try and help some remember where they were that week. ??? 

You may also note that they have a copy of the Ancient Book of the Dead from Egypt using the hieroglyphics as the High Way Code for Carts on Golf Courses.  Some may even resemble a brainless Mummy by the end of their round. These Sea People who tack from one side of the fairway to another taking their 6-7 hours to fully navigate a course in their 4 wheeled prairie ships. ;)

Melvyn

Jud_T

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »
Actually, the proper term is: Golf Cars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_cart

http://www.golflink.com/facts_18499_history-golf-carts.html

The use of golf cars in the USA was popularized by the many pictures of President Eisenhower in a golf car is such places as Palm Springs and Augusta and elsewhere during his many vacations. Blame him.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »
My dear Melvyn,

I have listened to your railing about the sins of golfers that ride in carts, use precision instuments to gauge the yardage to distant greens and drink when on the course. I have yet to hear you condemn the use of caddies; surely they take away from the Calvinism of the true believer.

Like you, I did at one time, look upon strapping hulks of beef riding around with a certain amount of disdain, until I read the Club's financials. I must say that it eases the discomfort.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back