News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Cahill

Re: Where is the "Ole" FL ?
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 12:21:38 AM »
Bill- As I suspected, a true hidden jem! :). It's a 7 iron from the Biltmore Hotel and Ross course.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Ted Cahill

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 12:39:53 AM »
Matt- Sounds like you played a round at the Diplomat in Hollywood, FL.  Am I close?  The Diplomat is a fine example of overpriced, Troon managed South Florida golf that is all landscaping, towering condos and entirely forgetable golf.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Keith Phillips

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 01:07:07 AM »
Matt, you haven't identified the courses you played???  My experience is limited to some of the finer private clubs (Ritz, McArthur, Medalist, Dye Preserve, Banyan, Old Marsh)...all of which have been fabulous - what courses have you 'played' that you don't like?

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 01:17:29 AM »
I'll throw two enjoyable Florida tracks, that each make for a fun day, into the mix. In the Miami area Key Biscayne(SP?), while of the hit and sit variety most days, is reasonable and has some sporty holes. The frequent breezes elevate the shotmaking requirementsas well. Their greens are generally in nice shape and the staff is a treat.

Now for the real cracker...Palatka Golf Club! About a forty min. drive Southwest of St. Augustine, this VERY testing, slightly scruffy gem has some of the coolest green complexs around. At $30 per round, and about 5,800 and change, from the tips...it will give you fits. While the fairways have some roll, unless it's wet, the approach areas and surrounds quite frequently have some pace and intrigue to contend with.

Bobby Weed and his team have taken on the management of the municipal course, are working hard to improve it, and the results are starting to show. There has been some history of course neglect throught the years, but it is excellent value and has some fine GCA throughout the routing.The Florida Azalea Amateur is held there every year, and quite a few big name pros have played the track through the years.

The immortal Tommy Bolt, who competed over the devilish layout, had the greatest course descripition I've ever heard, regarding Palatka..."The hardest little cat box I ever played!" That just breaks me up laughing every time I think of his awesome line.

Cheers ;D 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 09:49:55 AM »
Matt-

I am sorry your visit brought you to a congested part of the United States, and you chose to play golf there. Hopefully you were compensated for your dissapointment.

I don't know if you've ever been to the West Coast of Florida, but there is alot of "cool" golf around there. You've got to have alittle "adventure in you" but you can find some nice courses to play when it's freezing up north.

Mike
(not the one you know)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:01:05 AM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 09:51:22 AM »
Matt-

I am sorry your visit brought you to a congested part of the United States, and you chose to play golf there. Hopefully you were compensated for your dissapointment.

You should try to visit the West Coast of Florida. Alot of "cool" golf around there. You've got to have alittle "adventure in you" but you can find some nice courses to play when it's freezing up north.

Mike
(not the one you know)

The Panhandle is similarly uncongested, and there is some good golf up here.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »
Keith:

The private ones you named are clearly prepared better than many of the resort / hotel and public courses. But the same method of isolating the course from the clutter still predominates so many of them. I have played several of the courses you mentioned and while they are clearly better the bar for such a determination is quite low. Let me ask you this -- would you play such courses regularly if the weather were better elsewhere? I believe you and I both know the answer to that question.

Ted:

Thanks for the suggestion -- I may have to take you up on it the next time I am forced to head to SE FL.

Kris:

Agree with you on Key Biscayne -- I have played it a few times and it's quite enjoyable -- one of the better and least appreciated courses. I am amazed that when top FL public golf is spoken about it gets so little attention. The views of Miami Beach when playing the final hole are quite impressive -- ditto the qualities of the superb dog-leg right 7th (?) hole.

M Shea Sweeney:

Yes, I have been to the west coast numerous times -- I have a bud near the Weeki Watchee area -- about 50 miles north of Tampa in Spring Hill. I have played golf there and the surrounding areas and no doubt the overall congestion and clutter I mentioned in the Dade / Broward county areas is not replicated there to that degree. I have played WW and a few others in that region -- I really enjoyed Golden Ocala and it's replica holes too. I am aware that one can't paint with that wide a brush given the state's immense size and total diversity. Still, for the most part, the land situation is fairly typical -- with few exceptions.

Adam:

My wife's family has a winter place in FL for quite some time -- I also have a close college chum who lives there so visiting becomes a part of the norm for me. Trust me - it's not because I want to go there for the golf element -- and for those who want to know -- I have played a very good sampling of different courses from across the state to see if options are possible. No doubt there are a few but your take on the overall nature of FL golf is quite accurate.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
And, by the way, there's nothing wrong with a provocative post like this one, as long as it provokes vigorous debate about golf and golf course architecture.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Michael Robin

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »
Ted-

I had forgotten about Granada, it is indeed fun. I played golf at UM '82-'84 and we used to go out there once a week. Really good for short game work, in fact our #1 player for one of those years was John Pallotte(sp?) who grew up playing there, and he was a witch with his short game. I think he might have even been a Pro out there at some point.

Re Key Biscayne, it is a good test with a lot of fun holes. Good set of par 3s and some good gambling holes starting with the diagonal fairway on #1. The most scared I've been in my life was when 6 of us got caught in a quick moving thunderstorm out at the 16th hole. We started up 17 and there was lightning everywhere and 18 is a wide open 550 yard field with water left and Bay right. My teammates ran for it and I chose to take cover in the lowest ground I could find. 45 harrowing minutes later, the female Asst Pro showed up with her car and picked me up. Offered to buy her a new car I think, which I still haven't paid off. Guess I better track her down. :)

Matt, I think the view off 18 is more like Cocunut Grove. Miami Beach is on the other side of the Causeway I believe.      
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:01:56 PM by Michael Robin »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 11:47:24 AM »
Michael:

Key Biscayne is a fine layout -- gets little discussion here because all the snobs love to chat about Seminole or Pine Tree.

I really enjoyed the par-4 7th (?) -- the dog-leg turn right is a top shelf hole.

The views coming in are also first rate -- thank heavens the FL real estate market has not decided to build home on the actual water itself to block the view.

Adam Russell

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »
This is a topic that interests me tremendously, since I just moved to Jacksonville in the summer. Are there any courses worth playing that are older, classic public designs? Palatka Golf Club is a good call - was there this past week and the native areas and new bunkers give the place a completely different look. Cool little out-of-the-way track. I've heard a few good things about Oceanside in Ormond Beach. But what else is there in Florida older than say the 1930's?
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »
Adam, have you been to Hyde Park yet?  Donald Ross public course right there in Jax.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »
The Fernandina Beach Muni is a nice spot, it's inexpensive and it's one of TEPaul's favorite courses.   
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Adam Russell

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 08:18:37 PM »
Bill,

I took a look around Hyde Park but the cable pole hanging across the first scared me away! It is cheap, and a Ross, so I'll probably play it - it just seemed real cut-and-paste from the surrounding entrance/practice green.

FBeach seems just like all the other Ross beach courses (Daytona, New Smyrna). It seemed like Ross really wanted to get down to South Florida and didn't waste much time on any of them - push a few green sites up and get outta there.

Any other ODG's have any courses around??
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Bill_McBride

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »
Bill,

I took a look around Hyde Park but the cable pole hanging across the first scared me away! It is cheap, and a Ross, so I'll probably play it - it just seemed real cut-and-paste from the surrounding entrance/practice green.

FBeach seems just like all the other Ross beach courses (Daytona, New Smyrna). It seemed like Ross really wanted to get down to South Florida and didn't waste much time on any of them - push a few green sites up and get outta there.

Any other ODG's have any courses around??

It's definitely low end these days - although 15 years since I played it - but definitely better once you are away from the big flat area around the clubhouse.  It's worth a look.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back