News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Double The Price?
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »
One stolen from another site, but of your favourite courses, where would you be happy to pay double the normal high season rate to play (no midnight deals or playing in snow)?  The course is that good or perhps that under-priced.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:08:05 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Double The Price?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 03:59:36 PM »
Lawsonia Links is the first that comes to mind for me.  I could double what I paid to play and it would still be under $100 which I would consider a great deal for the product.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »
I'd tell you but I know the owner checks in here and I wouldn't want to give him any ideas.  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »
Let's not give anybody any bad ideas! :):)  If somebody sees that their course is worth the price, they might raise it!

That being said, Lawsonia is a good choice.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »
Rustic Canyon or CommonGround.  Both worth a premium... especially compared to others in their neighborhoods.

Jim Jackson

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 04:19:20 PM »
I'll take the RTJ trail course at Grand National, the Lake, for $45

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 04:21:42 PM »
Lawsonia and Carne are excellent selections. Just don't tell them!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 04:26:35 PM »
I'm thinking of which courses would play again –at some point- if they were double the price, given that I will normally treat myself to a round on the most interesting course in the area I'm visiting.  Pebble  being the exception - a price too far.
Of course at double the price, some of these would get more play than others.

Addington
Hainault Forrest
Stockley Park
Woking
RSG
Burnham
Pennard
Cardigan
Aberdovey
Wallasey
Lahinch
Co Sligo ( I think – can’t find their rates)
Rossapenna Sandy Hills
Portsalon
Portrush Valley
Prestwick
Brora
Dornoch
TOC
The Eden
Elie

How about this for VFM?
http://www.countysligogolfclub.ie/getdoc/dde99eb3-2b8b-40b1-b0ab-d0bb861cde79/Atlantic-Coast-Golf-Challenge-2011.aspx
Let's make GCA grate again!

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 04:27:28 PM »
Lawsonia Links is the first that comes to mind for me.  I could double what I paid to play and it would still be under $100 which I would consider a great deal for the product.

+1

Exactly...
H.P.S.

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »
Tony,

You'd pay 280 quid to play RSG? The nursery business must have picked up! ;D

Silloth, Brora, The Addington, Woking and North Berwick all get my vote. Royal Dornoch is borderline.

I'm not sure what the visitor rate is at Golspie, but the 10 quid we paid as guests might make it the best value golf I have ever played (notwithstanding free rounds, of course!).

Jim Eder

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »
Rustic Canyon for sure, Lawsonia, and Tony's list I totally agree with. I would probably throw in Papago Park as well.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »
I would rather play Erin Hills one more time than Lawsonia thrice. I would however gladly pay double to play and stay at Sand Hills again.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:58:08 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Matthew Sander

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »
File this suggestion under the heading of courses that are under-priced (as opposed to being that good), Gibson Bay in Richmond, KY. This Hurdzan course's weekday green fee is $14. Their summer afternoon rate is $9. They are currently advertising fall specials if you book online. I guess they'll pay you to come out and play ;)...

While not great, the course is interesting and has some fun holes. It is built on a somewhat hilly site but there are very few trees and it is a reasonable walk. If you're ever in the Lexington area, you should check it out.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:11:34 AM by Matthew Sander »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 04:55:01 PM »
Tony,

You'd pay 280 quid to play RSG?

Yes I would, not often but I think it's up there offering as fine a day on the links as can be had.  

For me Sean's question needs qualifying into groups like

Once more   Wallasey

Once a decade  (RSG at that price)

Once a year    The Eden

More often. (if I could only get there).  Pennard.

However there are other places I'd rather be a member of..
Let's make GCA grate again!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »
Sean - First, I wouldn't be "happy" to pay double at any of these courses. The only UK course I have seen mentioned so far to which I could almost agree is Brora... because it is so unique.

There are only two courses in my area of the world that would get my hard earned money at twice the price:

Arrowhead Point, a Georgia State Parks course on Lake Richard B Russell. $44 on weekdays.
http://www.arrowheadpointegc.com/golf/proto/arrowheadpointegc/

Mike Young's Longshadow. Currently $29 during the week!
http://www.longshadowgolf.com/
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Dan Grossman

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 05:37:42 PM »
A couple of folks have mentioned Rustic Canyon.  I usually play on the weekends where it is $63 per round (walking).  While I would probably still play there if they doubled it, I certainly wouldn't be happy about it and wouldn't play there exclusively. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 05:38:18 PM »
Lawsonia Links is the first that comes to mind for me.  I could double what I paid to play and it would still be under $100 which I would consider a great deal for the product.

Kyle:

Re. Sean's original post:

where would you be happy to pay double the normal high season rate to play (no midnight deals or playing in snow)?

Lawsonia's high-season rate walking, Fri-Sun, is $90; Mon-Thurs it's $55 walking. Not that it doesn't meet Sean's criteria, but that's a $180 round three days of the week in season.

Mine is the under-the-radar Langford in Wisconsin -- Spring Valley CC, formerly Our Country Club, that has an all-day weekend rate in the summer of $21.50.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:07:57 PM by Phil McDade »

Richard Choi

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »
I am with Dan, I would not be happy paying $126 to play Rustic Canyon. Realistically, I would probably not visit it again at above $100.

I can't really think of a single course I would be happy paying twice the high season rate. There are many I would still pay to play, but not happily.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 05:53:54 PM »
Its an interesting exercise which I think reveals something about our ideas of value.  Like Tony, there are some courses I could see myself playing once every few years or so as a treat; perhaps Woking and a small handful of other courses, but in general I would be looking to play these high flyers at a winter rate.  I only looked at favourite courses and at the weekday high season price.  I was surprised to come up with so many as I thought there would only be a few.  

St Enodoc at ~£130 - cheepers!
Kington - no brainer at ~£44
Cavendish - I would want to see it at least a few more times to see how good it really is (~£60)
Tenby - I need to see it at least once more and confirm (or not) my long held beliefs
Church Stretton - no brainer at twice the price (£40)
Lakewood Shores Gailes - for sure
Lederach (I'm convinced that this course is a test case between those who like properly strategic hazards and those who just talk about it)    
Burnham & Berrow Channel - can still get a links fix for ~£36 for the day

There are other courses I would certainly pay double for, but that would be make due courses rather than what I really want to play.  

I would still want to play Lawsonia for $110, not sure about $180 though.  I would give Rustic Canyon a go as well.  Wild Horse would be another I would try.  There must be others that I would like to play and that wouldn't price themselves too badly, but I'm drawing a bank.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:11:47 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mac Plumart

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 06:47:14 PM »
Shadow Creek is worth every penny of $1,200 a round!!!   :P
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 08:25:22 PM »
Shivas - you wouldn't even play Rustic for $63?  I thought you liked the course.  Or maybe I am missing something...

Brad Swanson

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:19 AM »
Wild Horse for $35.50 X2 walking.  I'm in.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 07:11:47 AM »
I'd pay double to play TOC.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 10:12:34 AM »
I would rather play Erin Hills one more time than Lawsonia thrice. I would however gladly pay double to play and stay at Sand Hills again.

Gotta go with JakaB on this one, would gladly pay double to play Sand Hills again.  Or Cypress Point for that matter.

Jim Eder

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 10:15:18 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for some great ideas. I didn't know several of those courses and now bneed to check them out.  Thanks!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back