News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Which of the major cities....
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:23:42 PM »
....has the fewest (or even no) decent golf courses within easy reach?

Manchester (UK) must be a candidate with only Manchester GC and Reddish Vale of any merit of those within the M60 ring road. That said, the great courses of the Lancashire coast or Leeds are under an hour's drive distant.

Tim Bert

Re: Which of the major cities....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:26:53 PM »
Not sure how big you need to be "major" but if 1 million metro will suffice, I'd throw Nashville into the mix for US cities.  The best golf courses for a Nashville resident are Holston Hills and anything in Chattanooga.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 12:28:14 PM »
Memphis, New Orleans, and San Diego come to mind immediately. Must be more here in the states ?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:30:16 PM »
Fort Lauderdale

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »
Memphis, New Orleans, and San Diego come to mind immediately. Must be more here in the states ?

For San Diego could it be said that the LA area is easily reachable?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 03:29:24 PM »
Moscow, Havana, Pyongyang and maybe Lagos Nigeria.

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 08:03:25 PM »
Sydney.

The only place in Australia Eagle Ridge would be in the top ten courses in the city.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 08:22:23 PM »
There are over 160 (!) cities in China with a population over 1 million and 43 in India.  I would think almost any of those 200+ cities would easily beat any city in the UK, USA or most other large cities one would care to mention.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »

For San Diego could it be said that the LA area is easily reachable?

Torrey Pines is decent. Barona is quite good. I nominate Nashville.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 09:26:27 PM »
I live in Montreal and I'd say it is a design wasteland. There are very few courses that I would even call  somewhat interesting within a few hours of here. A lot of that has to do with the fact that Montreal is located in the Saint Lawrence valley, which is essentially flat, with a few exceptions.
When was the last time a world famous designer designed a course in this area? Willie Park like a 100 years ago??
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 09:41:21 PM »
I live in Montreal and I'd say it is a design wasteland. There are very few courses that I would even call  somewhat interesting within a few hours of here. A lot of that has to do with the fact that Montreal is located in the Saint Lawrence valley, which is essentially flat, with a few exceptions.
When was the last time a world famous designer designed a course in this area? Willie Park like a 100 years ago??

Matt,

I know you know this, but...

As far as "world famous" golf course designers working in the Montreal area, Dick Wilson (and Joe Lee) originally designed the Royal Montreal courses; and, of course, Rees Jones recently redesigned the Blue course there. These guys are somewhat (quote) world famous (unquote).

As you mention, I'd go with Willie Park Jr though: Mount Bruno - perhaps the only reason for a serious student of golf course architecture to visit the Montreal area to study golf course design.
jeffmingay.com

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 09:46:53 PM »
Calgary fits the description quite well, Vancouver is another city I would expect to have a higher number of quality courses than it does.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 10:31:18 AM »
I live in Montreal and I'd say it is a design wasteland. There are very few courses that I would even call  somewhat interesting within a few hours of here. A lot of that has to do with the fact that Montreal is located in the Saint Lawrence valley, which is essentially flat, with a few exceptions.

Matt,

I know you know this, but...

As far as "world famous" golf course designers working in the Montreal area, Dick Wilson (and Joe Lee) originally designed the Royal Montreal courses; and, of course, Rees Jones recently redesigned the Blue course there. These guys are somewhat (quote) world famous (unquote).

As you mention, I'd go with Willie Park Jr though: Mount Bruno - perhaps the only reason for a serious student of golf course architecture to visit the Montreal area to study golf course design.

Yeah, I forgot about Royal Montreal. Probably because I don't consider it to be anywhere close to being a great golf course. So my bad,  instead of 100 years it has been only 55 years or so.  :D
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Ben Stephens

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 11:02:45 AM »
Leicester - there is hardly any great courses within a 25 miles radius. Luffenham Heath is the nearest quality course.

There are some good courses such as Willesley Park (Ashby), Longcliffe (Loughboro) and the Leicestershire.

Leics Rutland Golf Union like taking their main championships to courses such as Birstall, Cosby, Kirby Muxloe, Rothley Park and Kibworth which are just 'above' average courses.

The country 1st team over the years is one of the strongest in the Midlands / England.

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:06:39 AM by Ben Stephens »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »
Washington DC sort of fits this bill, although there are options within 50 miles that are sufficient.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Gary Slatter

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:45 PM »
Mark, and others - I really feel sorry for you all, I can find good to great courses close to every city mentioned.  Maybe not designed by ODGs, but what the rest of the world would consider good, well designed golf courses.  I'm glad I'm not perfect.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

JMEvensky

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 12:33:54 PM »
Mark, and others - I really feel sorry for you all, I can find good to great courses close to every city mentioned.  Maybe not designed by ODGs, but what the rest of the world would consider good, well designed golf courses.  I'm glad I'm not perfect.

Agreed.It's not often that I stick up for Memphis,but if you can't find good(by anyone's definition) golf here,you're not looking very hard.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 08:57:26 PM »
Atlanta is pretty sad architecturally, particularly given the sheer number of courses. :(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back