News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: My New York Adventure Begins!
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
I live in NJ and work in NYC.
My office is on 42nd between 2nd and 3rd.
My email is tkramer@tribune.com.
If you ever have the desire to meet a fellow GCAer, feel free to email me - the blackberry is never far away.
I'd be happy to take you out for a quality NYC lunch anytime that my schedule permits.
Any chance you play chess?

Best,
Ted

Ted, have you ever played against the speed chess pros in Times Square?  As a C+ chess player, one of my favorite memories was beating one of those scoundrels out of $5 by blasting apart his castled position with a rook sacrifice.  He was pretty unhappy that I couldn't stay for another game!

Chris Shaida

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »
Jud,

Agree re decor (which is why, as lovely as Masa is, I prefer Kuruma Sush-also I work around the corner :)).  Sometime, you do need to try to omakasa at the sushi bar at Kuruma--it's almost like there are two restaurants there.  Unfortunately there are also two very different pricing levels as well (as in $x and $10x!). 

Chris

Lou_Duran

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2010, 12:12:06 PM »
Mike,

I understand that Lucas loves the City, so maybe he'll take you out there and show you how it is really done.  I've had the pleasure to play leisure rounds with a couple touring pros and it is a treat to see how they approach the game.

My son still lives in Manhattan not far from the Williamsburg Bridge.  It is an exciting, somewhat "affordable" area with great life for young people.  He doesn't have a car, so I typically don't even bring my clubs, but perhaps will do so next time we visit during the golf season.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:15:06 AM by Lou_Duran »

Jud_T

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Mike,

After last night you can safely add Il Buco in Soho to the list.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve Kline

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »
I have to agree with Chris.  Also Sushi Yasuda and Sushi Zen are great...but also remember.  Mike's from the south...I don't know how much Surf Clam, Quail egg, Blowfish, or sea urchin, and other strange fish he eats,  but normally omakase is for experienced palates only - it means "Surprise me," so odds are you're not going to get tuna, octopus, and eel:):)

Ted, I play chess...

Okay..totally off topic...but I took my first trip to Japan (as well as the Philippines and Korea) last spring. Our last night in Japan we wanted a really good sushi dinner. Right across the street from our hotel was the Toyota world HQ. On the top floor (the 42nd) was probably the best sushi restaurant in Nagoya. We needed a reservation and we were the only three at the sushi bar. So, it's just us the waitress the head sushi chef and the apprentice (he had been the apprentice for 10 years) that fixed our meal. We got the menu, which was all in Japanese, so we just picked the middle priced meal. Now, I had tried everything on the trip (except the squid guts my co-worker ordered a previous night and it was all great. I like sushi but was at a sushi restaurant in Japan with no idea what I was going to get. The first thing that came out was a gian oyster shell that was closed. Inside was some sashimi and a whole fish. I ate the sashimi and stared at the whole fish. We asked the chef how to eat it and he pulled off the fins and said head first. I was nervous but man was it good!!!! Long story short the meal was fantastic - a truly emorable experience. Also, if you are ever in Japan and want the best chicken wings you will ever eat go to Yamachin. We tipped off to it by an American who had lived in Japan for 28 years. When we had mentioned to other Japanese that we had been there they were shocked that we knew about the place. You will know you are in the right spot because the logo is a chicken body with a man's head on it. The wings are fired, then grilled then fried again. No sauce but an increidble dry rub. Plus you can order deep-fried chicken skin - oh man was that good!

George Pazin

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2010, 04:49:08 PM »
Bogie... the only punishment so far is NO GRITS!

You ought to start a restaurant introducing New Yawkers to the delights of Southern cooking...

Have fun. I spent most of my 2 years in NYC in an office, and I regret not taking advantage of the many things The City has to offer. Please don't follow my example!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2010, 04:55:19 PM »

You ought to start a restaurant introducing New Yawkers to the delights of Southern cooking...

We have friends from New Orleans who opened a restaurant called the Screen Door in Portland, Oregon.  They use a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, and make wonderful red beans and rice, jambalaya, etouffe, etc.  They are packed all the time!

George Pazin

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »

We have friends from New Orleans who opened a restaurant called the Screen Door in Portland, Oregon.  They use a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, and make wonderful red beans and rice, jambalaya, etouffe, etc.  They are packed all the time!

Woo hoo!

Some 20 years ago, when I started my biz, I was traveling around the country. My then partner and I drove all around the country, trying to sell our wares. I came up with this idea of driving around the country, exporting businesses from one part of the country to another. Biggest obstacle (for me): the capital. Glad to see it's working for your friends!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »
Mike,

I'm on it!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »

Have fun. I spent most of my 2 years in NYC in an office, and I regret not taking advantage of the many things The City has to offer. Please don't follow my example!

George,

My wife and I were saying the same thing last night! There are a few good BBQ place in NYC, but NOTHING like Morrice Bessinger's in Columbia, SC:  http://www.mauricesbbq.com/.  These folks would go nuts over that stuff up here!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

JC Jones

« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2010, 06:19:39 PM »

George,

My wife and I were saying the same thing last night! There are a few good BBQ place in NYC, but NOTHING like Morrice Bessinger's in Columbia, SC:  http://www.mauricesbbq.com/.  These folks would go nuts over that stuff up here!!!

There is exactly 1 restaurant in Detroit that does Southern BBQ and they only do it well, not very good and definitely not great.  Up to 5 hour waits on Thu-Sat nights.  Ridiculous.  We northerners have no idea.  Good BBQ would print money in the north.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2010, 09:03:06 PM »
I seem to remember getting grilled polenta as a breakfast entity in one New york diner. Was actually very good, better than a hash brown.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2010, 06:10:38 AM »
Mike,

I'm on it!

Mike,

My friend, Donna, owns Il Buco (it is superb! :))....let me know if you need help with a reservation.

BTW...be sure to spend plenty f time downtown exploring the the cozy little ethnic restaurants that span from east side to west. Years back, my wife and myself were living in the city and authentic foodies. We still come in every other week to enjoy many of these gems. Let me know if you want a list. Enjoy!!

Also, be sure to take a trip up the Hudson to come see Dellwood this Spring, perhaps even when Jim Urbina is on the 'dozer restoring the place.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Lou_Duran

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2010, 09:42:35 AM »
We had very good Texas BBQ at Hill Country (30 West 26th Street NY, NY 10010 | 212-255-4544); no reservation needed, though I hear it gets very crowded on weekends.  The country rock band playing in the basement was quite good as well.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2010, 10:34:44 AM »
Mike and Mrs. Whitaker,

Welcome to New York.  Please reach out at anytime if you need anything, and if you find yourself exploring the Jersey Shore, give me a call or email.  You should try to get down here and see Seaview, Atlantic City, Scotland Run, and Twisted Dune if time allows. 

Best,

Doug
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »
Mike,

Have fun on the new adventure!  You seemed very excited about telling me the story while golfing in Charlotte last month, glad the transition went smoothly.

Should be a great culinary and golfing adventure, to say the least.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »
We had very good Texas BBQ at Hill Country (30 West 26th Street NY, NY 10010 | 212-255-4544); no reservation needed, though I hear it gets very crowded on weekends.  The country rock band playing in the basement was quite good as well.

It's funny how people can have different experiences.  Lou, a long time Texas transplant, liked it.  Here are two other reviews, which are mixed to say the very least!

" Nov 6, 2010
Worst Restaurant Experience Ever I was unfortunate enough to visit Hill Country earlier this week. I went to see the musical act, which was actually quite good. The restaurant on the other hand was something else entirely. It is basically a tourist trap for people who don't know any better, the worst of the bridge and tunnel crowd. The service was horrible, among the worst I have ever experienced in NYC. Their selection of beers was pathetic. They had nothing on tap. The beers they did have were of low quality and overpriced. Same with the food. Meat was stringy, the sides were poorly prepared, everything was overpriced. Avoid this place like the plague. You'd be better off eating a McRib sandwich out of the garbage and drinking somebody else's swill than going to this place for BBQ and beers. "

" Jun 3, 2010
Real Texas BBQ I grew up in Brenham, TX where they make Blue Bell ice cream. I was impressed to find that Hill Country BBQ carried Blue Bell. As far as I know it is not normally distributed outside the southern states so it is a real feat for them to sell it. The BBQ is traditional Texas BBQ like you would find in a Texas BBQ joint. The atmosphere is like a Texas BBQ joint. The people are friendly and the music is spot on. I am looking forward to going back again and again. My critiques are that the brisket may not be cooked as low and slow as you often see in Texas and they could have a better variety of traditional sides. Also, they seem to try to carry Texas beer and wine. If that is they case they need to sell Shiner Bock Beer and Messina Hof Wine. I realize you can't get Shiner Bock north of DC, but if they can get Blue Bell to NYC they can surely do the same with Shiner. Also, they need to offer free refills on iced-tea. To not do so is very un-Texan. "

I would tend to go with the two Texans, but wonder if there was a disaster between June and November!!

George Pazin

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2010, 01:40:57 PM »
I would tend to go with the two Texans, but wonder if there was a disaster between June and November!!

Most NYers found 11/2 a disaster... :)

Tom Dunne

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2010, 07:38:24 PM »
On a really bitter cold winter evening, for me there's not much that can beat the hot pot at Grand Sichuan on Canal (125 Canal, near the Manhattan Bridge). There are other Grand Sichuans in NYC, but this one is not part of that chain. Don't be fooled by the interior--the food is terrific. I've had hot pot in Beijing and this place matches it. Bring on the spicy broth!

Scott Warren

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »
Can anyone recommend somewhere in NYC that Mike can get a good syllabub? ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2010, 08:23:13 PM »

Most NYers found 11/2 a disaster... :)

Something about Texas?   ;) ;D

Mark Woodger

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »
Michael

Welcome to New York! Not being a native New York or American i can say the first year in NYC was amazing. Discovering different places/neighbourhoods was a great adventure. Good luck to you and your wife.

I am thinking of playing Marine Park (http://golfmarinepark.com/home/) this Saturday morning if you want a late season round of golf? It is part of the NYC public golf system and whilst a somewhat of a links course not the same quality as Deal. However it for me it is the only way i can play so i shall not be too fussy.

Everybody is ofcourse welcome, PM me if you are interested.

mark

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for the invitation, but I didn't bring my clubs up from South Carolina!!!

I'll have them here this spring... let's plan to get together then. I've been trying for years to get Mike Sweeney to visit Van Cortlandt with me. Maybe together we can get him out to see America's first public course.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:05:40 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Michael Whitaker

Re: My New York Adventure
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2011, 02:05:56 PM »
Boy, did I pick a great year to spend my first January in New York! The most snow in 86 years!!!

A total of 36 inches fell in Central Park in January, beating the old record of 27.4 inches set in 1925!!!

I got a friendly call from one of my golf buddies back in Greenville, SC on Sunday. It was 75 and he was on his way to the golf course. Yes, I felt a bit homesick... until I stopped in for a slice at Joe's Pizza on Carmine St... can't get that in SC!

Roger Wolfe

Re: My New York Adventure
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2011, 04:57:51 PM »
One of our members just moved back to NYC.  He should still be a member at Quaker Ridge and is always
looking for a game.  Interested in an introduction?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back