News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: My New York Adventure Begins!
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 04:09:48 PM »
Mike,

There's also Sushi of Gari on the upper west side.  Dim Sum at Shun Lee Cafe near Lincoln Center an Jezebel on 9th or 10th if it's still open.

Jud - Jezebel is closed. It had great reviews, but the offerings were a lot of the dishes we have back home in South Carolina. I grew up on most of that menu!  
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jud_T

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »
Bummer...

Jay, 

yes there's good sushi all over.  but I'm talking about GREAT sushi (Nobu's not really a pure sushi bar)...Go to Sushi Seki, sit at the bar and order the Omakase (particularly if someone else is picking up the tab  ;D).  It rivals the best I've had at high-end hidden gems in Tokyo.  Mike, it's worth the cab ride across town....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »
Mike

Hope you have a great time!

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for you) I think you'll be in England when I'm in New York!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tim Martin

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »
Mike,

There's also Sushi of Gari on the upper west side.  Dim Sum at Shun Lee Cafe near Lincoln Center an Jezebel on 9th or 10th if it's still open.

Jud - Jezebel is closed. It had great reviews, but the offerings were a lot of the dishes we have back home in South Carolina. I grew up on most of that menu!  

Mike-When you get tired of the sushi head over to 9th Avenue and order up a New York Strip at Old Homestead.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »
Pony Bar at 45th and 10th - great selection of American craft beers.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 07:03:46 PM »
Mike,
Good luck, and I hope it is a great year for you.  My daughter (fresh out of UNC in May) lives in Brooklyn and works on Madison Ave.; I've haven't been up to visit yet, but if I do and have sticks with me, maybe I can combo it into a round of golf with you. 
Best,
A.G.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Steve Lang

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 07:53:02 PM »
 8) do they talk with funny accents up there in NEW YORK CITY?  will yours morph?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Steve Wilson

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 10:35:20 PM »
Does this mean you'll be playing for the North in the next Dixie Cup?
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

JC Jones

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 11:04:31 PM »

He has to beat me to get initiation to the North team.  I doubt it will happen as he has heretofore been too afraid to play me.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 11:51:04 PM »
Mike

Hope you have a great time!

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for you) I think you'll be in England when I'm in New York!

When are you coming to New York? I've got a guest room & bath. You need to stay with me!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 12:11:56 AM »

He has to beat me to get initiation to the North team.  I doubt it will happen as he has heretofore been too afraid to play me.

Don't worry JC, I'll make sure you get your match at the next Dixie Cup. And, I will be playing for the South!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 12:14:59 AM »
Bummer...

Jay, 

yes there's good sushi all over.  but I'm talking about GREAT sushi (Nobu's not really a pure sushi bar)...Go to Sushi Seki, sit at the bar and order the Omakase (particularly if someone else is picking up the tab  ;D).  It rivals the best I've had at high-end hidden gems in Tokyo.  Mike, it's worth the cab ride across town....

OK, Jud, you've convinced me. Sushi Seki is on the To Do list. Thanks!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 12:17:19 AM »
Mike,

Mike-When you get tired of the sushi head over to 9th Avenue and order up a New York Strip at Old Homestead.

Tim - I love Old Homestead!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 12:37:45 AM »
Mike,
Good luck, and I hope it is a great year for you.  My daughter (fresh out of UNC in May) lives in Brooklyn and works on Madison Ave.; I've haven't been up to visit yet, but if I do and have sticks with me, maybe I can combo it into a round of golf with you. 
Best,
A.G.

AG - My son lives in Brooklyn! Smith Street. Definitely let me know when you are coming and we will plan some golf.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 06:24:58 AM »
Never forget though that the key to NYC isn't finding the great $60 steak, it's finding the great $25 steak.  There are also great options for food in the boroughs as well, so don't miss Greek in Astoria or Italian or Argentinian in Forest Hills.  I'll take you to Bleecker netween 6th and 7th Avenue south to get you set up at Faicco's for your cold cuts, and Murray's Cheese for your cheese.  Joe's is a block away for your mozzarella.  Bread at Blue Ribbon Bakery.  Maybe we'll go late one night nand see if we see a few chefs.  we'll also grab a marg at Mesa Grill.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Adam Clayman

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »
Mike. You've come a long way from drinking out of Mason jars. Good luck in the city. Report back when you get to visit the USGA house (forgot the name) that houses all the secrets they've been ignoring for a century. Report back constantly.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 10:04:30 AM »
Bummer...

Jay, 

Cross town subways are faster than cross town cabs.   ;)

Ted Kramer

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »
I live in NJ and work in NYC.
My office is on 42nd between 2nd and 3rd.
My email is tkramer@tribune.com.
If you ever have the desire to meet a fellow GCAer, feel free to email me - the blackberry is never far away.
I'd be happy to take you out for a quality NYC lunch anytime that my schedule permits.
Any chance you play chess?

Best,
Ted
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:27:11 AM by Ted Kramer »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
Many years ago, a former employee moving from Fort Worth to Orlando ended a very warm, witty going-way/hope-to-see-all of you-soon speech with the note that the great recreational opportunities in his new community were only surpassed by the number of hotels and resorts catering to every budget and taste.

Michael, it sounds like you will have many friends visiting you.  You seem to have an enviable lifestyle and the perfect attitude to enjoy it.  Best of luck!

BTW, I like the Black much more than WF-W (or E).  I hope to hear of your impressions of area courses over the next year.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 10:58:07 AM »
Mike. You've come a long way from drinking out of Mason jars. Good luck in the city. Report back when you get to visit the USGA house (forgot the name) that houses all the secrets they've been ignoring for a century. Report back constantly.

Adam - What do you mean, Man... I still use the occasional Mason jar for a glass of "sweet tea." Nothin' finer!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2010, 11:05:51 AM »
I live in NJ and work in NYC.
My office is on 42nd between 2nd and 3rd.
My email is tkramer@tribune.com.
If you ever have the desire to meet a fellow GCAer, feel free to email me - the blackberry is never far away.
I'd be happy to take you out for a quality NYC lunch anytime that my schedule permits.
Any chance you play chess?

Best,
Ted

Ted,

Thank you for the invitation. I love to meet you for lunch one day... but, no wrangling over the check... we'll split it.

To say I play chess would be a true statement in the way my father used to say he could sing opera... the notes and words were all there, but not necessarily in exactly the way the composer intended! I'm VERY much an amateur at chess... probably a 30 handicap.

Mike

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2010, 11:33:02 AM »
Many years ago, a former employee moving from Fort Worth to Orlando ended a very warm, witty going-way/hope-to-see-all of you-soon speech with the note that the great recreational opportunities in his new community were only surpassed by the number of hotels and resorts catering to every budget and taste.

Michael, it sounds like you will have many friends visiting you.  You seem to have an enviable lifestyle and the perfect attitude to enjoy it.  Best of luck!

BTW, I like the Black much more than WF-W (or E).  I hope to hear of your impressions of area courses over the next year.

Thanks for the note, Lou. Nancy and I are taking this as a 13 month adventure. Hopefully her business will be accepted in NYC and we will actually be able to pay for some of this!!! The most fun part will be having friends and family visit and stay with us. We rented a two-bed two-bath apartment just for that reason... and, you are correct, the calendar is already filling up!!!

Can't wait to see some of the iconic courses like BB Black. As you know, my good friend Lucas Glover won the US Open there and it would be quite a thrill to visit the location of his greatest golf accomplishment to date.

Is your son still in NYC? If so, maybe we can get together the next time you come to visit him.

Chris Shaida

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2010, 11:48:52 AM »
Bummer...

Jay, 

Uh, Ok, if you really want GREAT sushi you need to move up a step to either Kuruma Sushi (if you want old-school no-frills decor but other-worldy fish) or Masa (if you want both the decor and dishes to be other-worldly).  Sorry Jud but both are WAY better than Sushi Seki  ;D

(Michael, this is really all by way of 'welcoming' you (back) to Manhattan, where arguing vociferously and nearly endless about food is a way of Life!)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2010, 11:58:31 AM »
I have to agree with Chris.  Also Sushi Yasuda and Sushi Zen are great...but also remember.  Mike's from the south...I don't know how much Surf Clam, Quail egg, Blowfish, or sea urchin, and other strange fish he eats,  but normally omakase is for experienced palates only - it means "Surprise me," so odds are you're not going to get tuna, octopus, and eel:):)

Ted, I play chess...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:08:13 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jud_T

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2010, 11:59:42 AM »
Chris,

I've been to Kuruma Sushi and recall it was very good, but not at the level of what I had recently at Sushi Seki, but then again I didn't get the Omakase.  Haven't been to Masa yet. IMHO decor is to food reviews as clubhouses are to GCA...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back