News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

My New York Adventure
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:55:53 AM »
My wife and I have rented an apartment in Manhattan for 13 months!

I arrived in the city today (Nov 14, 2010) to begin our adventure. As I write this I'm looking out our bedroom window down the Hudson River. I must admit, this city has some amazing views from on high... as beautiful in their own way as an unimpeded view of the Smokey Mountains.

Why have we moved to New York from our home in sunny South Carolina when so many people are migrating in the other direction?

1) My wife has a new business that she is trying to expand into the NYC market.
2) My wife has wanted to live in NYC since she was a child.
3) My wife spent four years planning this move and eliminated every possible obstacle that I might offer

As you can see, each if the reasons above begins with "my wife."  ;)

Seriously, I am looking forward to spending a year in the greatest city on the planet... within striking distance of some of the greatest courses on the planet!

Hey... with a Con Edison receipt I might even be able to play Bethpage Black without having to sleep in a car!!!

To be continued...

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:56:19 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

Re: My New York Adventure Begins!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:58:03 AM »
...jealously wishing you and the Mrs all the best!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:01:01 AM »
I too wish you the best Mike. i thought you did this 4 or 5 years ago.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 01:02:13 AM »
Thank you, Brother Bill. I'm expecting you and Ms. Kathleen to visit. We have a room all ready for you!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 01:03:58 AM »
Thank you, Brother Bill. I'm expecting you and Ms. Kathleen to visit. We have a room all ready for you!

Working on it.

Tiger has a good memory, he and I picked you up on the way upper West Side in 2004 (?) en route to Yale!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »
Good luck Mike.

Although I must tell you it was 70 in Greenville today and I opened up the sunroof and the windows on the Bimmer and went up to Caesers Head today to see the leaves change.   What a fantastic day and drive.

My wife and kids are coming in to The City with my in-laws the day after Thanksgiving I however decided to hang out near Reading at their  house and hope that the weather will cooperate so I can play golf instead of going with them.  Hope the weather the NE has been having holds.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 01:08:51 AM »
I too wish you the best Mike. i thought you did this 4 or 5 years ago.

Tiger - We sublet an apartment around 190th street five years ago. That's when you, Bill and I went out to play Yale with Mike Sweeney and participated in the charity tournament at The Creek to support his son's school. This is different. This time we have rented our own apartment and furnished it ourselves. It is OUR home. Last time we felt like we were "housesitting" for someone else. Also, this time around I will be spending 75% of my time in NY instead of 30% like before. It should be quite an adventure!!!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 01:11:46 AM »
Good luck Mike.

Although I must tell you it was 70 in Greenville today and I opened up the sunroof and the windows on the Bimmer and went up to Caesers Head today to see the leaves change.   What a fantastic day and drive.

My wife and kids are coming in to The City with my in-laws the day after Thanksgiving I however decided to hang out near Reading at their  house and hope that the weather will cooperate so I can play golf instead of going with them.  Hope the weather the NE has been having holds.

Yep. Beautiful day to fly! Beautiful in NYC today as well. Walked around the "neighborhood" this afternoon to get a feel for the area... then walked to meet some friends for drinks and dinner. Who needs a car???

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 05:16:12 AM »
Welcome to my island:)...Now it's our island:)

Get your sticks shined, up, grab a stick of Juicy Fruit.  The taste is gonna move ya!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »
Thanks, Jay! Not sure how to take the Juicy Fruit reference!!!  ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »
Thanks, Jay! Not sure how to take the Juicy Fruit reference!!!  ;D

Jay can be pretty obscure!

How far did you have to walk for dinner?

How many really good little Italian restaurants are in your neighborhood?

Jealous......officially jealous.

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »
Well, how'd you sleep last night? :)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 10:06:59 AM »
Congratulations on the move!  I hope the biz expansion goes well for your wife (and you).  I have been kicking around a similar move....to Europe...to see/learn golf course maintenance from a different perspective. I keep waiting for someone to set up an exchange program with greenskeepers going both ways....guess I should just bite the bullet and do it myself...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »
Mike,

Have fun in my old hood.  And check out Sushi Seki (61st & 1st)..
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:14:55 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
13 months?  I thought punishment is generally limited to 11 months 29 days. 

Good luck.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 02:25:43 PM »
Mike,

Jud - I love sushi, but I'm on the other side of the island... 10th Avenue. If I ever get over to 1st I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »
What is the place you entertained us in Myrtle, your vacation condo or a rental?  I'd trade two NY places for that Myrtle situation.  When it comes to big cities, I'd druther visit for a week or less.  That is how old and fuddy dutty I am!  ;) ::) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 02:43:24 PM »
13 months?  I thought punishment is generally limited to 11 months 29 days. 

Good luck.

Mike

Bogie... the only punishment so far is NO GRITS!

But to be fair, they do have an amazingly good dish we can't get down South called matzah ball soup. Yum!

It's a fair trade.  :)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 02:47:29 PM »
Try the polenta... a reasonable substitute, and you can even concoct the polenta w/shrimp, v ham, and herbs to your liking...

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 02:55:14 PM »
What is the place you entertained us in Myrtle, your vacation condo or a rental?  I'd trade two NY places for that Myrtle situation.  When it comes to big cities, I'd druther visit for a week or less.  That is how old and fuddy dutty I am!  ;) ::) 8)

Dick -That was "Seas The Day," our house in North Litchfield that we co-own with my wife's sister. You are an old fuddy-duddy. Americans are the only ones who take one week holidays. The rest of the world visits for two to fours weeks so they can get the full flavor of the place.

My heros are Stan Dodd and his wife, Julie. They just spent six months living in Dornoch. They've now moved to Hawaii for six months... then, back to Dornoch for another six months! It will be interesting to see where they go next. Here is a link to their blog "Six Month Gyspies"   http://sixmonthgypsies.blogspot.com/

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »
Try the polenta... a reasonable substitute, and you can even concoct the polenta w/shrimp, v ham, and herbs to your liking...

Dick - You are correct. Polenta is just the Yankee name for grits. It's the same stuff... with maybe a finer grind. Problem is you don't usually have polenta offered on breakfast menus up here.  :-[

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 03:14:31 PM »
And, my guess is that a place with poleta on the breakfast menu, you will be paying some fancy NYC price...  durn big cities.  ::)

Those Dodds are amazing.  If I win the lottery, I'm walking out the front door, golf bags over shoulder, heading to the airport and won't be back for about 3 years if at all...  :P ::) ;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »
And, my guess is that a place with poleta on the breakfast menu, you will be paying some fancy NYC price...  durn big cities.  ::)

Those Dodds are amazing.  If I win the lottery, I'm walking out the front door, golf bags over shoulder, heading to the airport and won't be back for about 3 years if at all...  :P ::) ;D

Beautiful. If that happens I'll happily volunteer for six months of worth of service as your man servant and caddy. My fingers are crossed for you! Try these numbers: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, & 42

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 03:44:25 PM »
Mike,

There's also Sushi of Gari on the upper west side.  Dim Sum at Shun Lee Cafe near Lincoln Center an Jezebel on 9th or 10th if it's still open.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
Mike,

Jud - I love sushi, but I'm on the other side of the island... 10th Avenue. If I ever get over to 1st I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Well there's good sushi all over the city...Haru, Nobu, Sushi Zen, Yama, Iso...stop me any time...:)

As for Juicy Fruit, it was just a way of saying go on out and try a little of everything.  You'll like living here.  There's everything you need.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back