News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

GCA Poster 2011
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:32:44 PM »
We missed a 10th Anniversary poster, although there was some discussion. We have an opportunity to create a new poster, so here is an opportunity to share your thoughts or send in some good visuals ... illustrative rather than photographs seems best.

What do you want on a new poster? What should it say or depict?

Another check is being readied for Ran and the web-fund for the "old" poster. It is still available and, sorry to say, it was not a robust year in 2010 for GCA-ers. (I did have the Posterette / Golframes site add a version without the frame included, so this may make it easier for many of us.)

http://www.golframes.com/products/productDetail.php?id=142

Anyway ... let me know what thoughts you have and let's see if we can create a new version to bring in the new year.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

PCCraig

Re: GCA Poster 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
We missed a 10th Anniversary poster, although there was some discussion. We have an opportunity to create a new poster, so here is an opportunity to share your thoughts or send in some good visuals ... illustrative rather than photographs seems best.

What do you want on a new poster? What should it say or depict?

Another check is being readied for Ran and the web-fund for the "old" poster. It is still available and, sorry to say, it was not a robust year in 2010 for GCA-ers. (I did have the Posterette / Golframes site add a version without the frame included, so this may make it easier for many of us.)

http://www.golframes.com/products/productDetail.php?id=142

Anyway ... let me know what thoughts you have and let's see if we can create a new version to bring in the new year.

Thanks Forrest, I would purchase a 2011 photo if one was made.

I wouldn't know where to begin when it comes to figuring out what illustrations to place on the poster...but perhaps two figures arm wrestling over the Merion logo would be a good start! :D
H.P.S.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:36:30 AM »
I can picture the Merion image very clearly. Would there be a referee, too?
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »
Forrest, I hope you will utilize Hatch Show Print again.  If so, please let me know if I can help since my office is a block away.

Mike

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:09:04 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »
I would suggest using this picture where the purchaser can personalize the caddie bib to his liking.

Where the clinically insane and obese find harmony...GCA.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:46:55 AM »
John — I assume you are the short guy dressed in white?

Mike — Hatch is an option again, but it may be advantageous this go-around to utilize the design resource at Golframes. We can both control the image and also have more leftover for GCA. Although I adore Hatch...it was fun, wasn't it?

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »
Forrest,

The only place I exist in the above picture is in the mind of the short guy in white, far too often for comfort I might add.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:52 AM »
I like the color — brings new meaning to Brown if Beautiful. Some of the best golf I ever played was on dormant Bermudagrass...no resistance, great lies and lots of roll.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
"GCA- Where it's never too late to learn what you don't know about golf course architecture."

"GCA- A kinder, gentler bar room brawl."

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »
Or, there is:

"GCA- Where it's never too late to learn what you don't know about golf course architecture in a setting much kinder and gentler than a bar room brawl."
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »
Any poster must have this:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 09:28:25 PM »
Those are especially nice when lit up at night as a tiki torch.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
I would suggest a poster that somehow represents Forrest making every putt he looked at on a desert course and collecting big money (maybe $6?) from McBride.

It would be epic.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »
That would be a phantom concept.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 08:26:59 PM »
For the record, this is a very lame bunch of input for a website of passionate opinion.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 09:15:41 PM »
A watercolor painting in the classic 19th century style, but a 21st century look?
No golfcarts.
Is there any type hole or green that would be a good subject and could be agreed on?
In any case, you will need a good graphic designer to give it the finished look needed where people would actually want to keep and hang it on a wall.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:19:41 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 09:32:28 PM »
Curious...did you like the original? Would you (did you) put it on your wall?
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »
I never saw the original.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jay Flemma

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 05:30:50 AM »
I'll agree with Steve Shaffer.  After all the discussion about it, let's have a little self-effacing humor and put the Merion baskets on there.:)  It is poignant...and funny.  And it's a reflection of what the discussion is about on the site because, for all the fighting, we have advanced the world's knowledge on the course.T

I'll throw out the idea to let the art carry this poster.  The "golfclubatlas.com" on the 2005 poster is so large, the art on the poster is shoved too far downstage.  I'd love to see this year's poster be more artistic.

Out of curiousity, who are the best artists, drawers, painters, etc. on GCA?

Also Forrest, can we throw out nominations for a course for the next map print?  How about National?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 12:14:13 PM »
Forrest, I would eschew art altogether and use software to prepare a typographic poster utilizing words and GCA catch phrases submitted by web-site members - a keepsake that evokes memories of this site's history.  Also a true collaberation.  A few suggestions:

Merion Debate
Pizza Man
Old Dead Guys
Biarritz
Redan
Tillie
Butt Boys

In fact, I think I'll start a new thread.

Bogey
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:31:01 PM by Michael_Hendren »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »
I don't agree.  A picture's worth a heck of a lot more than 1,000 words and I think many of us would like to see the artwork of fellow GCAers.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:28:01 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Alex Miller

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
Melvyn driving a golf cart with gps in hand drinking a drink with an umbrella in it.

Tim Bert

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 04:19:05 PM »
Why not have a GCA 2011 poster contest with people submitting entries and a panel voting for the best concept?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 05:16:50 PM »
I don't agree.  A picture's worth a heck of a lot mor4e than 1,000 words and I think many of us would like to see the artwork of fellow GCAers.

Jay, keep that in mind when you write your next article.

Mike

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 05:29:13 PM »
Folks in charge can do as they see fit, but a bloke like me isn't going to be putting a poster of phrases on his wall.  I side with Jay and think a print of a cool water colour (perhaps of the new Pinehurst #2) that Ran would appreciate is gthe way forward.  Maybe Josh Smith is inclined to produce a suitable image from a photo.  It still needs text, but as Jay says, let the art bring out the text.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:04:28 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back