News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cory Lewis

Random Encounters with GCA'ers
« on: November 10, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »
I was thinking today that I have randomly encountered several people from this discussion group out in the world and was wondering if others have had similar experiences.  The ones I can think of are below:

I was randomly paired up with Adam Clayman and Dick Daley at Lawsonia.  It took me a few minutes to realize who I was playing with, but once I did we had a tremendous time.

I was paired with Paul Thomas at a club in Boston last year.  Paul and I were probably the only two nuts who played that day and after waiting through a very long weather delay we enjoyed a wonderful round.

My wife and I ran into Doug Sobieski having breakfast at Ballyneal this year.  It was very nice to pick Doug's brain about Ballyneal before we headed out for our round.

I almost played with Ryan Simper and Brad Tufts last year at Old Chatham.  Ultimately I went out a few minutes before they arrived.

There are probably more that I can't think of right now.  It's funny how small a world it is.  There are only 1200 of us, and yet I've run into people from this site in several states across the country.

So those are mine, how about you?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 07:11:20 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Kyle Harris

Re: Random Encounters with GCA'ers
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 05:57:11 PM »
Yelling at Craig Rokke's group on the tenth fairway at Jeffersonville to make sure they kept up the pace after stopping for dogs at the turn was the highlight of my random encounters.

Hope he sees this and chimes in, he's been noticeably absent for at least a year.

Jim Colton

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »
I had a Dad's day at my son's preschool this past weekend, and they had a Bubble Guy as the entertainment.  I look across the gym and who do I see, none other than GCAer Matt Sander (he was a fellow Dad, not the bubble guy).

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 06:17:34 PM »
I met Mike Leveille in the public library in Dornoch.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »
I met Mike Leveille in the public library in Dornoch.

How did you know?

My first trip to Bandon (in 2001, with Tiger Bernhardt and my brother), I ran into Tom Huckaby on the Bandon Dunes course.  Not literally.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 06:25:46 PM »
I can recall only one chance encounter and that was with Gareth Williams.  I was browsing the clubhouse of Camberley Heath after a game this past spring (summer?) and so was he while waiting for club repair.  I have another chance encounter tucked away in my brain somewhere, but I can't recall the circumstances.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 06:39:28 PM »
Running into Cory was one of only two chance encounters I've had.  I suppose if you are frequenting golf courses with the cache of Lawsonia often, you are bound to run into others from GCA.com.  Adam has far more opportunity for these sort of bumpins due to being a member at BallyNeal.  I suppose if I'd live and play out of Wild Horse, I'd have more of those run-ins also. 

But, I have to say that it was a real kick to have that sort of outofleftfield meeting.  It made me think of the famous pizzaman thread when Cory said, 'aren't you that guy on GCA.com'.  I think we all played well and had a great time.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:13:33 PM »
Running into Cory was one of only two chance encounters I've had.  I suppose if you are frequenting golf courses with the cache of Lawsonia often, you are bound to run into others from GCA.com.  Adam has far more opportunity for these sort of bumpins due to being a member at BallyNeal.  I suppose if I'd live and play out of Wild Horse, I'd have more of those run-ins also. 

But, I have to say that it was a real kick to have that sort of outofleftfield meeting.  It made me think of the famous pizzaman thread when Cory said, 'aren't you that guy on GCA.com'.  I think we all played well and had a great time.

Were you able to keep up?

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »
Played a GAP team match against Wayne Morrison.  He asked me a bunch of great questions about the course and what features were orginal etc. I then told him you should check out GCA,com and he says "I am WS Morrisson"...

Ran in to Ran Morrissett at my favorite watering hole one hot June day.

Found Mayday Malone and Tom Goutman in the grill room at my club being entertained by my club's version of the Pizza Man (a knowlegable entertaining guy reluctant to post on here).
Proud member of a Doak 3.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 07:42:28 PM »
My group was first off last wednesday at Pacific Dunes.  While chatting with the starter, I see Ryan Admussen's name on the tee sheet and he's playing right behind me.  So before my group teed off, I went over and introduced myself and we had a nice chat.  I saw Ryan on two other occasions over the next few days as well.

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »
When I was at Hidden Creek last month, this car was parked outside the lodge.  I never met the owner.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 08:08:18 PM »
I have had several GCA'ers come up to me in the airports of the world.  To be honest, it freaks me out a little bit that anyone would recognize me; I'm certainly not used to it yet.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
I was informed today that the superintendent where I play the majority of my golf recently attended a meeting in Arizona when a fellow attendee/GCAer asked/informed him about me.  As they say, my reputation proceeded me for that chance meeting.  I get the feeling it didn't go that well. 

Bart Bradley

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 08:47:58 PM »
Standing on the putting green at Murifield this summer, I hear "Bart is that you"?   Fellow GCAer, Bill Schulz was going off 15 minutes before my son and I!

Cheers Schulzy...

Bart

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 09:02:48 PM »
About 2 years ago, I was playing as a single at Lederach and caught up to another single on the 13th tee,the famous Redanman.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 09:38:50 PM »
My random encounter was pretty high comedy. I was assigned a late afternoon loop at Interlachen for two raters. When I got their bags I knew they would be somewhat architecturally savvy based on some of the tags. I almost fell to the ground when as we headed down the first fairway I heard the following exchange: "Did you see Anthony Gray's reply to Mike Sweeney on the Eastward Ho! thread?" When we got to their balls I simply asked "are you guys talking about GCA?" Both of them just about lost it and asked if I was indeed the Patrick Hodgdon who had posted photos of ICC that they had been looking at earlier in the day. Anyway it was a great round with Dan Taylor and a friend of his who is a long time lurker.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 10:16:01 PM »
Cory, I'm thrilled for you and the others that people bump into each other...judging from the universal (lack of) acclaim for my NYSGA State Days get-together at Hiawatha last summer, I'm convinced that people avoid me (except for Lynch, who has no choice.)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matthew Sander

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 10:41:59 PM »
I had a Dad's day at my son's preschool this past weekend, and they had a Bubble Guy as the entertainment.  I look across the gym and who do I see, none other than GCAer Matt Sander (he was a fellow Dad, not the bubble guy).

Ah yes, bubble man was intoxicating (my daughter is still talking about him).

After the show I was chatting with Jim and asked what he'd been up to. He responded "played Yale yesterday", I responded "gotta go..." ;D

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me, how small some spheres of the world are.  At the beginning of my freshman year here at Washington & Lee, a couple of my hall-mates and I were shooting the breeze in their room, when we got around to naming our fathers' alma maters.  The other two guys I was talking to learned that their fathers had atended Sewanee at the same time, and subsequently learned that their fathers knew each other while at Sewanee.  And now I'm delighting in these stories of chance meetings between two GCAers.  All my mettings with other members of this group have been planned, but I look forward to perhaps some random ones as well.  If any of you see a blue-and-white Washington & Lee Golf bag with a set of left-handed clubs in it, chances are that they are mine.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Will MacEwen

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 11:55:26 PM »
I was in McKee's pub on Monday.  A gentleman within earshot was talking in great detail about the Bandon courses, Doak, Sand Hills, Coore, etc.  If not a GCAer, had to be a lurker.

I go to Bandon every year, and I always figure it is about even odds that another GCAer is on the premises at the same time.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 12:02:52 AM »
I was walking along looking very tired after following Matt Kuchar in U.S. Open qualifying in 2009 when a guy in a golf cart pulled alongside of me and asked me if I needed a lift to the clubhouse. I quickly took him up on his offer and that is how I met Chris Cupit!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 12:35:16 AM »
Randomly paired with Wayne Wiggins Jr. at Colorado Golf Club. Seemed like astrange place to meet someone that lives less than an hour from my home in California.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 08:38:20 AM »
I was in McKee's pub on Monday.  A gentleman within earshot was talking in great detail about the Bandon courses, Doak, Sand Hills, Coore, etc.  If not a GCAer, had to be a lurker.

I go to Bandon every year, and I always figure it is about even odds that another GCAer is on the premises at the same time.

Will,

Believe it or not, there ARE a few people who aren't on GCA who are fans of Pacific Dunes and Sand Hills, thank goodness.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 08:46:20 AM »
I was informed today that the superintendent where I play the majority of my golf recently attended a meeting in Arizona when a fellow attendee/GCAer asked/informed him about me.  As they say, my reputation proceeded me for that chance meeting.  I get the feeling it didn't go that well. 

If someone really knew you they would really know you.

Anthony

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »
About 2 years ago, I was playing as a single at Lederach and caught up to another single on the 13th tee,the famous Redanman.

Hang on Steve, you caught up to Redanman?  After all of his rantings about slow play and you caught him????  Well now.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back