News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Facebook
« on: November 10, 2010, 03:27:04 PM »
Anyone on facebook? If so should we have our own page?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tony Weiler

Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 03:29:58 PM »
I am, and I'm friends with a few GCA.com folks. 

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:33:04 PM »
Yes...member since 2004. :)
H.P.S.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 03:33:16 PM »
Do a search for Golfclubatlas.  There is a page.

Norbert P

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 03:36:45 PM »
 What's Facebook?

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »
What's Facebook?

Facebook is a website where people you haven't seen in 20 years "reconnect" with you so that they can tell you and their other 900 "friends" what they had for lunch.

That is, until election time when half of them post conspiracy theory links about the other side.

Facebook is a great tool for being able to reach out to people quickly.  It's also a good place to help network the dogs at the animal shelter where my wife and I volunteer.  But I've culled down my list of friends as much as possible.  Too many people using Facebook as their own personal blog.

I will take a look at the GCA Facebook page, not sure if I will become a fan though.  I kind of like keeping the GCA side of things isolated from the rest of my life.  My friends already think I'm odd enough.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:16:00 PM by JLahrman »

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »
Slag,
I can hardly imagine Facebook inhabiting the same world as Darwin and Wodehouse. Steer clear!!
Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »
I was on Facebook earlier this year.  I signed up to reconnect with classmates for an upcoming H.S. reunion.  After the reunion I dropped out cold.  It's not all that easy to figure out how to use Facebook, and if you use it, you must assume that any and all information you put on it will be available to the world forever -- no privacy -- and no take-it-back.  I intend to never use it again.  I am absolutely amazed, not that it's been successful so far, but that so many people stupidly put so much on it.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure Slag is clowin' you fellas. 

He knows what it is
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »
Anyone on facebook? If so should we have our own page?

No - I'm not on Facebook - I get all my net fixes on a few golf forums.

Billsteele

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 07:26:45 PM »
John Kavanaugh's Tweets are about as far into social media as I want to go.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »

The first thing the Human Resource people do with an application for employment with their company, is to look up the strange stuff that people put in Facebook. I can't think of anything that would allow me trust its founder about privacy issues.

Bob

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17:13 PM »
Dis bro is on Facebook.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Norbert P

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 11:51:46 PM »

Mark your calenders . . . NUD is coming up.   National Unfriend Day  November 17th.

http://mashable.com/2010/11/05/national-unfriend-day/

I will not be involved. Hell, the only friend I have is fiber.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 04:53:20 PM »
Bob - In the UK government vetting also checks Facebook, Twitter and other social networking accounts.
Cave Nil Vino

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 05:40:18 PM »
I can't think of anything that would allow me trust its founder about privacy issues.

To quote The New Yorker's recent profile (interesting but unsatisfying, like "The Social Network" -- and like, for my money, Facebook itself):

"Zuckerberg may seem like an over-sharer in the age of over-sharing. But that’s kind of the point. Zuckerberg’s business model depends on our shifting notions of privacy, revelation, and sheer self-display. The more that people are willing to put online, the more money his site can make from advertisers. Happily for him, and the prospects of his eventual fortune, his business interests align perfectly with his personal philosophy. In the bio section of his page, Zuckerberg writes simply, 'I’m trying to make the world a more open place.' ”

You can read the whole article at http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/09/20/100920fa_fact_vargas?currentPage=all.

I am not a Facebooker, and won't be. ( 8) )

Dan
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 06:08:42 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 06:06:04 PM »
Lighten up Dan...  :)

For me facebook is better than GCA.

This year I...
Kept track of my cousin traveling the globe working as a performer on the Disney Cruise Line
Followed a dozen other cousins, 2 siblings and lots of old friends
Let them see my girls
Found new music, literature, humor and art
Learned a ton about those I thought I already knew
Shared a little of a golf course that no one can see
Just yesterday I saw a baby picture of Ben's growing family in Novia Scotia
etc...

It would have been impossible to otherwise.

You can always turn off farmville or that weirdo friend from 3rd grade.
Study the privacy settings and don't post your soc. sec. number...

And I went to Boston University too!  (for those that have seen the movie)

Cheers

p.s.
for you old fogies and Don Mahaffey - as of today - facebook reminded me it was Don's birthday!
the 50 and over crowd is the fastest growing demographic
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 06:12:08 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 06:22:56 PM »
This Old Fogey has a birthday every year -- and doesn't need to be reminded of that fact!

From one who knows plenty about (how) Time Sucks:

Facebook is the biggest Time Suck yet devised.

Of course, in this economy, plenty of people have plenty of suckable time!   :-X

And, and seriously, for a moment, Mike -- ALL of those things would have been possible without Facebook! Maybe not so conveniently, but they'd have been possible.

Dan

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »
After having gotten involved with Myspace, there is no way I will join Facebook or Twitterland. I have come to view the Southpark episode about Facebook as a documentary rather than a parody.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »
You silly old people! I was on the creeperbook back when only some .edu's where allowed. It was the highschool kids and followed by the open access that polluted it with garbage. The movie is awesome by the way.

PThomas

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
This Old Fogey has a birthday every year -- and doesn't need to be reminded of that fact!

From one who knows plenty about (how) Time Sucks:

Facebook is the biggest Time Suck yet devised.

Of course, in this economy, plenty of people have plenty of suckable time!   :-X

And, and seriously, for a moment, Mike -- ALL of those things would have been possible without Facebook! Maybe not so conveniently, but they'd have been possible.

Dan

Dan, you used an emoticon! :( :o ??? :P :-[ :-X :-\ :'(
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »
Facebook is also the number one resource for divorce laewyers and private detectives looking to catch someones infidelity.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Yost

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
After my wife signed up, she immediately started getting suggestions that she invite people to be friends... people from her Outlook contacts...  I'm not keen on an internet web site that can access your outlook folders.   

As well, I frequently receive invites from people I don't even know.

Sounds like a big giant spam invite.  These concerns lead me to avoid Facebook.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »
Damn, I thought this site was Facebook.

I’ve been on since beta testing , but only check in every year or so.  Why such an early adopter?  Because my kid was one of those five college kids that built the site (and still a friend of Zuck’s—both literally and digitally).  Most of them dropped out of school to write code.  Not exactly exciting drama for a movie.  My kid liked the film described in the article although it’s highly fictionalized.  I haven’t read all of the New Yorker piece yet.  The parts I skimmed seem pretty balanced.  For those of you that read the New Yorker piece about Zuckerberg, I think it is important to remember that these were just 18 and 19 year old kids that happened to get very lucky at the right time and place.  Yeah, very bright, hard working kids, but still just kids.  Think about it, how many dumb, stupid things did you say and do when you were that age?

I don’t mean to be defending Facebook or objecting to anyone’s opinions about it here.  I have nothing to do with it and don’t have much use for it myself.  It’s just that things get really distorted when a kid like Zuckerberg is suddenly the world’s youngest potential billionaire.  Another thing to consider:  Zuck has had many opportunities to cash in on his success, has turned down billions, and has yet to take the company public.  He not only really believes in what he is doing, he’s had the vision about what Facebook could become from the very beginning.  Of course you don’t get that big that fast without making some mistakes.  Also, you don’t become that successful without some people resenting it or feeling like they deserve a piece of the action.  Yet, knowing a little bit about things from the start, I personally believe a big part of why fb became so popular so quickly was because they weren’t focused on making money.  They were focused on doing something that they thought was cool.

BTW, my kid left Facebook after a year to go back to school (with a few stock options in his backpack).  He was a lucky kid, for sure, but he is largely unchanged by the cash he has (and will eventually have) and is an even better young man now.   He even likes golf, even though he’s never really had the time to learn the game.    

Sam Morrow

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
What does it say when you are FB friends with Anthony, Melvyn, and Mayhugh?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back