News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Harrison

Help- Scotland suggestion needed
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »
We have a trip to Scotland pretty well sketched out for June.  The one debate I am still having is an additional course in the Gullane area.  We will be playing Muirfield, Gullane, and North Berwick, and have time for 1 more round.   I have a couple in mind that I have not played, but wondered what this group would think. 

Suggestions are much appreciated! 

Norbert P

Re: Help- Scotland suggestion needed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »
Renaissance ? 
Dunbar ?
Old Musselburgh ?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike Leveille

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 02:04:02 PM »
Play N. Berwick a second time.  If you don't want to repeat courses, I'd suggest Dunbar.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:06:20 PM »
Matt,

any of the 3 Gullane courses or Luffness New are great thracks to play. Also, my all time favourite course Kilspindie, is just round the corner.

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »
Matt,

Muirfield, North Berwick and presumably Gullane No.1, are the big three in the area.

If you're lloking for a bit of fun golf that isn't a championship test, but still tricky I suggest you try Kilspindie or Gullane No. 3.

Alternatively you could be a trend setter and play Luffness New (adjacent to Gullane No.3) or Longniddry, neither of which get much mention here. Longniddry is a Harry Colt while Luffness New is where Trevino, or was it Nicklaus, said they were the best greens they had ever played (well, at least that day ;))

Niall

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »
The keenest greens in Scotland...Kilspindie, so opined Laurie Auchterlonie.

Dunbar is a delight.

Bob

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »
If you are looking for link style golf, I would recommend Dunbar or Luffness.  Luffness indeed had superb greens, and the course had a very similar feel to nearby Muirfield.  Dunbar plays right along the ocean along a narrow strip of land.  You see the sea almost every hole, and the winds can be amazing.

Otherwise, I would recommend Longniddry.  One of the big surprises on our last Scotland trip.  Some holes links like, some parkland, and in wondeful condition.  No par 5's if I recall, a lot of long par 4's.

There are a lot of hidden gems that way.  Ask the locals, we played a few. You will not be sorry.  Have a great trip.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 04:14:11 PM »
I'm another Kilspindie and Gullane 3 man.........have some golfing fun!
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
Dunbar would be my pick, but I would also consider Luffness New & Kilspindie.  If they don't work Musselburgh Old or Gullane 3 are good stand bys which are quite cheap.  You may also want to consider Braid Hills.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve Salmen

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »
Matt,

If I had time for an extra round I would play Old Musselburgh.  It is a very special place in the world of golf and has a very rich history.  Please remember that it held six Open Championships.  The holes are both fun and challenging.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »
Matt

For the experience - I would play Old Musselburgh with the hickories followed by one with modern technology

Brian Freeman

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 08:58:58 PM »
Play N. Berwick a second time.  If you don't want to repeat courses, I'd suggest Dunbar.

+1 for a second round on North Berwick.  I understand the allure of seeing as many courses as possible, but don't underestimate the enjoyment that can be had from playing one of the greats twice.  Especially if you are lucky enough to get two different sets of wind conditions.

As nuanced as that course is I would think the second round there would be more enjoyable than the first.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17:19 AM »
Dunbar after the first three holes.  If you want a very nice course, with sea views, that would be happy to have you visit, try The Glen Club (East Links, North Berwick).  Although not quite in the same category with the the other courses you're looking at, our group from the USA found it a very enjoyable experience and we would go back.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:27:27 AM by Carl Johnson »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »
Matt,

Do you have 4 days in East Lothian, or are you looking at four rounds in two days?  If the latter, you are already paying for 36 holes at Muirfield (with foursomes in the afternoon).  Play the 36 there and have the lunch.  If the former, most of the suggestions above are excellent but you could also drive a bit furher south and play Berwick upon Tweed (Goswick).  It's as good as most of the suggestions you have been given, probably cheaper and certainly less well known.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
Matt,

Do you have 4 days in East Lothian, or are you looking at four rounds in two days?  If the latter, you are already paying for 36 holes at Muirfield (with foursomes in the afternoon).  Play the 36 there and have the lunch.  If the former, most of the suggestions above are excellent but you could also drive a bit furher south and play Berwick upon Tweed (Goswick).  It's as good as most of the suggestions you have been given, probably cheaper and certainly less well known.

Good grief Mark,

you don't want to send the poor lad over the border do you? ;)

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 02:10:11 PM »
He might as well see civilisation, if he's going to be that close.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 04:09:04 PM »
He might as well see civilisation, if he's going to be that close.....

Yes Mark,

you can still get a 2 for 1 deal on cans of Red Stripe and bottles Morrisons own brand cider ;D

Matt Harrison

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »
Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far.  I had been leaning towards Dunbar or Luffness new, as we definitely want an old links. 

For those that suggested it, I agree with N Berwick again, but a few of us on the trip have already been around it a few times.  Also, we do plan for full 36 at Muirfield, and 2 rounds at Gullane. 

Any other thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
If you don't mind a drive of maybe 90 minutes from Gullane, you could pop down to GCA fave Goswick.
There's a stack of inland tracks in East Lothian which are good fun too. I quite enjoyed many of the holes at Whitekirk.
There's modernist quasi-links at Craigielaw, a few fun holes at Haddington including a romanesque temple by one fairway, but I mostly agree with Bob that Kilspindie is a must-play in that area. More than enough quirk for any GCAer, the quaintest clubhouse and just great, GREAT fun coastal golf.
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 07:28:46 PM »
Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far.  I had been leaning towards Dunbar or Luffness new, as we definitely want an old links. 

For those that suggested it, I agree with N Berwick again, but a few of us on the trip have already been around it a few times.  Also, we do plan for full 36 at Muirfield, and 2 rounds at Gullane. 

Any other thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

That's a great trip, Matt.  Green with envy!  I love East Lothian.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 03:38:43 AM »
Marty,

90 minutes from Gullane to Goswick?  What's he driving?  A milk float?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 04:54:46 AM »
Marty,

I was factoring in some variables...
Septic
Right-hooker
Manual
Wrong side of road
 ;)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ken Kearney

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 05:05:56 AM »
Longniddry... definitely... if it was my call... HS Colt and very enjoyable golf...

KK
KK.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 05:39:19 AM »
Marty,

I was factoring in some variables...
Septic
Right-hooker
Manual
Wrong side of road
 ;)
F.
I had ignored the possibility the whole journey could be done in second gear.  My apologies.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back