News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Re: How does being an introvert or extrovert affect your course evaluation?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 03:05:03 PM »
I agree with Carl -

In Myer-Brigg's terminology, I think it's the NFP versus ITJ and the variants that are more important.

I'm an NFP, and I describe a golf course as a journey, a painting, a work of art.    I have a friend that's an ITJ and he's like an engineer - measuring angles, distances, and green contours in terms of degree of slope.  A "just the facts, Jack" type of guy.

I think you meant STJ and not ITJ, but it is interesting because as I mentioned earlier on in the thread you and I seem to be very much alike in terms of preference and viewpoint, despite the fact that you are NFP and I am STJ.  I view golf courses very much as a journey, painting, or work of art, despite the fact that so many other areas of my life are dictated in what would be the equivalent of "angles, distances, and degrees of slope." 

But then again, I'm closer to borderline on the STJ than I am on the E/I scale.  That's why it isn't quite as simple as bucketing people in the 16 categories.  We aren't all decisively one or the other for all categories.

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
A little bit of a sidetrack, but one thing I find very interesting is the the number of "online extroverts" modern times have created.  I'm sure you've all met more than one person whose online, email, or discussion forum personality is extremely extroverted only to meet in person and discover that person is actually an introvert.    Take the live people interaction out of the equation and a different type of person opens up.

Interesting post and one that is very obvious at some GCA get togethers! :)
H.P.S.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »
I agree with Carl -

In Myer-Brigg's terminology, I think it's the NFP versus ITJ and the variants that are more important.

I'm an NFP, and I describe a golf course as a journey, a painting, a work of art.    I have a friend that's an ITJ and he's like an engineer - measuring angles, distances, and green contours in terms of degree of slope.  A "just the facts, Jack" type of guy.
As an INTP, I am quietly trying to get my head around the big picture of the overarching idea, before drilling into details.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »
INTP here. An explanation for the benefit of those unfamiliar with MBTI:

Extrovert means that being around people energizes you. Being alone with your chores exhausts your battery.

Introvert means that being around people saps your energy. Being by yourself recharges your battery.

You cannot be both! You either charge or discharge your battery.

As an introvert you sure can act like an extrovert and frequently it may be wise to do so professionally. But you expend your energy doing so, you need to recharge in solitude. And vice versa for the extrovert. You can master both ways, but only one way is natural for you.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bart Bradley

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 07:33:16 PM »
INTP here. An explanation for the benefit of those unfamiliar with MBTI:

Extrovert means that being around people energizes you. Being alone with your chores exhausts your battery.

Introvert means that being around people saps your energy. Being by yourself recharges your battery.

You cannot be both! You either charge or discharge your battery.

As an introvert you sure can act like an extrovert and frequently it may be wise to do so professionally. But you expend your energy doing so, you need to recharge in solitude. And vice versa for the extrovert. You can master both ways, but only one way is natural for you.

Ulrich

Ulrich:

Thank you.  I should have included this definition in my original post.

So, now that it is more clear...which one are you guys and do you think that it affects your appreciation of a golf course?

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back