News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Favoritism; Baseball v. Golf
« on: November 03, 2010, 02:09:28 PM »
Is there a correlation to a persons favorite Baseball team, and their preferences for golf courses? (Ok ok, in how the individual mind works)

You likely grew up loving the team that's closest to you, geographically. For multi-team cities, you probably were heavily influenced by your parents and/or friends favorites.  As you age, you may or may not form a different opinion, based on experience and choice. But, you will likely always have a soft spot for your first love.

Are golf courses different?

Once I learned more about the glaring differences in gca, my preferences have become more defined. Not to the extent that I can't enjoy types, or styles, that I don't prefer, but my preferred type of golf course, that I prefer is nowhere near where I grew up.

But, I will admit, I have a soft spot for the courses I use to hop the fence to get on.

How hard is it, (for you) to go against your environmental influences, and, realize you have deeper feelings for the girl who lives across the tracks?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

Re: Favoritism; Baseball v. Golf
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »
There is some kind of correlation how people in my Southern Illinois are either Cubs or Cardinal fans with no one rooting for the White Sox. 

Tim Bert

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 02:22:32 PM »
I grew up as a Phillies fan growing up in Tennessee without having ever visited the city until the age of 27 (so much for the geographic bias).

Perhaps it is not a surprise then that the courses which keep me awake at night are all more than 700 miles from my home.

The baseball teams and the golf courses here are equally uninspiring (or non-existent).

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 02:33:27 PM »
Ah, Adam - the play of memory and imagination, and history. Who can figure it? Why do I have no love for the 1975 Cincinnati Reds,  yet so much love for the 1927 New York Yankees? 

Peter

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »
Adam:

I think this gets to your topic:

When lining up a blind shot yesterday after an errant drive, I realized that the process of walking up the hill, picking an aiming point, judging the distance and pulling a club was something I did 4-5 times per round on my childhood course which was very hilly (Waveland in Des Moines, IA).

I realized that this experience might explain why I like such shots when so many people complain about them.

I still get excited to play that course even though it is a dog track compared to the normal course I play today.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 02:53:50 PM »
Ah, Adam - the play of memory and imagination, and history. Who can figure it? Why do I have no love for the 1975 Cincinnati Reds,  yet so much love for the 1927 New York Yankees? 

Peter
Because the 1975 Reds beat Yaz, El Tiante, Spaceman, Pudge (the real one), Rico, and the best pair of rookies in baseball history (Lynn & Rice). At least, that's why I have no love for them. Oh, and they had Pete Rose.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

JMEvensky

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »

Peter

Too much brevity,not enough bludgeoning.

To your rhetorical(?) question,you were alive for the mythmaking of the '75 Reds.Mythmaking works better when the myth predates you.Ruth and Gehrig will always make the '27 Yankees the "greatest team in history".But,the Big Red Machine was something.

BTW--this from an almost 50 year Yankee fan.

Dan King

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:04:58 PM »
I'm a traditionalist regarding golf and baseball. Designated hitter, astroturf, golf carts and touching your golf ball are all aberrations and should be uttlerly cryed downe.

The Giants moved to SF the year I was born in SF. I've been a fan my whole life, but stopped going to games or supporting the team following the strike. This year got me to go to a few games and this team is a throw-back team. I really enjoyed it.  I even wore a couple of orange Hawaiian shirts during the World Series.

Cheers,
Dan King
I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
 --Crash Davis

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 03:08:33 PM »
JM - yes, "myth-making" it is, for me at least. I'm old enough to remember watching the Big Red Machine (but not old enough, or young enough at heart) to care, ie to make mythologizing worth the effort. But Murderers Row is whatever I wish to make it/them (within the confines of 'facts').
Peter

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 03:11:48 PM »
I grew up in Baltimore and my favorite team was the SAn Francisco Giants. Willie Mays was my favorite player and after he retired Mike Schmidt became the man. I have always liked the NL better even though I am in an AL city. My favorite golf is also not in Baltimore although I do love my home course.
Mr Hurricane

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »
Cubs fans generally enjoy golf courses designed by respective Seth Raynor, CB Macdonald, Donald Ross school of design.

On the other hand White Sox fans have been known to enjoy the Jerry Rich / Art Hills / Fazio design style.

:) ;) :D
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 03:17:47 PM »
It's like choosing between Mary Tyler Moore and Betty White.  Why choose at all when you can have them both.

http://tinyurl.com/2blrpjc

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »
There is some kind of correlation how people in my Southern Illinois are either Cubs or Cardinal fans with no one rooting for the White Sox. 

I think two of the bigger announcers of all time have also helped the Cards and Cubs.  I think there are tons of Cards fans out there starting from when KMOX would blast at a bazillion watts and people from far away could hear Jack Buck on the radio.  And I think many people my age (mid 40's) in that area are Cubs fans partly because back in the late 70's/early 80's, in the dawn of cable tv before ESPN got any pro baseball games, just about every cable system had WGN and the famous (infamous?) Harry Caray. 
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »

I think two of the bigger announcers of all time have also helped the Cards and Cubs.  I think there are tons of Cards fans out there starting from when KMOX would blast at a bazillion watts and people from far away could hear Jack Buck on the radio.  And I think many people my age (mid 40's) in that area are Cubs fans partly because back in the late 70's/early 80's, in the dawn of cable tv before ESPN got any pro baseball games, just about every cable system had WGN and the famous (infamous?) Harry Caray. 

Harry was very well known in St. Louis as well before he had a little too much fun with a certain owner's wife, so the rumor goes. :)

Reminds me of one of my favorite Harry Caray / Bill Murray stories. When Harry was out recovering from a stroke, the Cubs hosted a number of celebrities to come in and guest announce a game. Bill Murray was called and jumped at the chance. The funny part of the story came when Bill sits down at Harry's chair and hits his knee on a mini-fridge. Upon opening and finding it stocked with cold beer Murray described by saying "it was like finding out that Santa actually exists" :)
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 03:46:33 PM »
I still remember the day I saw the movie Ordinary People and Mary Tyler Moore broke my heart playing the bitch wife and mother.  I was 20 and woke up to the fact that actresses are not at all who they seem.  The Cardinals better not trade Albert Pujols or at 50 I may realize baseball ain't all that either.

Golf broke my heart the day Fuzzy was selling clubs for Kmart.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
I kept waiting for her to break out of character and whine a "Oh, Rob" or even "Oh, Mr.Grant"...but she never did. The only time she freaks out is when that antique dinner plate cracks.

If the choice is between myth and reality, I'll take the myth...

Peter

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 06:13:56 PM »

The Big Red Machine.

Hustle...Strength...Cultural Diversity...The White Haired Architect...Speed...Great Defense...Finess...No Weakness Top To Bottom

Sounds like Cruden Bay

Anthony

Dan King

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 07:17:18 PM »
Here in sunny California we always thought of the Big Red Machine as totally lacking diversity. They were all crew-cutted corporate types -- the Ted Robinsons of baseball. I was not an A's fan, but seeing the A's with their long hair and facial hair beat up on the Big Red Machine made me proud to be a hippie.  I think the series was called "The Hairs vs. the Squares."

The Reds always seemed more like Murcar than Cruden Bay.

Cheers,
Dan King
We were fun, we were different, and we were good. When you're willing to shake things up and take some chances, you can really make your mark. If we set any kind of example, I hope that was it.
 --Vida Blue Talking about the 1972 Oakland A's
He'd [Reggie Jackson] give you the shirt off his back. Of course, he'd hold a press conference to announce it.
 --Catfish Hunter

Alex Miller

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
I'm a diehard Angels fan and most of my life has been in the Scoscia "small-ball" era.

I guess that equates to my liking of good fundamentals in GCA. Good pitching and base-running must be the reason I like tricky green complexes that ask for a good short game and greens that also run fast!  ;)

I also used to play baseball so now when I watch it I overanalyze and drive my friends crazy, same as golf architecture. ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »
I have been a life long Tigers fan, well at least until the strike and the later scandals.  I spsoe I still check in every 4th of July and see whats up, but my love of professional ball is certainly not what it once was.  I grew up listening to ball on the radio and still have great memories of the '68 Series - I worshipped Lolich, Six and McLain.  It wasn't until later years with Billy Martin as manager that I truly appreciated what an incredible management job poor old Mayo Smith did in '68.  His decision to sit Oyler and slot in Stanley at shortstop to create more batting power with the line up was as bold a move as anything Jimi did on a guitar.  I wish I owned the recording of Harwell's World Series broadcast.  That is something I would dip back into with as much relish as any favourite book.  Anyway, Smith's sacking sent outrage through my young bones.  Things seemed so much more important when I was a kid and I miss that feeling.  I spose I was a fan because my sister was a fan and because my dad said one must always support the local team of birth if they follow the sport at all.  So my support is more due to accident of birth than anything else.  God it was great just to be a kid. Anyway, sure as shit, if I ever get back into ball, and thats a big if considering my love of hockey, I will surely tune in the radio for Tiger ball games. 

Just as with ball, the course of my youth, Grosse Ile, has stuck with me all these years as a fine example what golf could and should be.  I still think of Ross when I think of parkland golf. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 08:21:57 PM »
I have been a life long Tigers fan, well at least until the strike and the later scandals.  I spsoe I still check in every 4th of July and see whats up, but my love of professional ball is certainly not what it once was.  I grew up listening to ball on the radio and still have great memories of the '68 Series - I worshipped Lolich, Six and McLain.  It wasn't until later years with Billy Martin as manager that I truly appreciated what an incredible management job poor old Mayo Smith did in '68.  His decision to sit Oyler and slot in Stanley at shortstop to create more batting power with the line up was as bold a move as anything Jimi did on a guitar.  I wish I owned the recording of Harwell's World Series broadcast.  That is something I would dip back into with as much relish as any favourite book.  Anyway, Smith's sacking sent outrage through my young bones.  Things seemed so much more important when I was a kid and I miss that feeling.  I spose I was a fan because my sister was a fan and because my dad said one must always support the local team of birth if they follow the sport at all.  So my support is more due to accident of birth than anything else.  God it was great just to be a kid. Anyway, sure as shit, if I ever get back into ball, and thats a big if considering my love of hockey, I will surely tune in the radio for Tiger ball games. 

Just as with ball, the course of my youth, Grosse Ile, has stuck with me all these years as a fine example what golf could and should be.  I still think of Ross when I think of parkland golf. 

Ciao
Sean-That`s a great post and the 68 Tigers were an awesome team. Denny McLain was the last guy to win 30 games and I remember getting a Wilson autograph model glove with "31" in the palm as a gift that was a treasured possession. Mickey Lolich was the real star of that series with 3 wins and 3 complete games. There were no short,middle and long relievers then, just relievers. Good stuff in a much simpler time. :)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:51 PM »
I think I went to Connie Mack Stadium once or twice as a kid but this is "Shibe Park":

Then I had 15 years at The Vet and the Philly Municipal Court:

Then I went to college in Boston and became a "Fenway Fan":

and now my favorite place to play is New England which JC Jones and Jaka think is filled with witches in Salem:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46242.0/

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:35:02 PM by Mike Sweeney »

JC Jones

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »
You seem to be under some sort of spell with the way you have turned your back on all things Philadelphia.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 08:43:02 PM »
You seem to be under some sort of spell with the way you have turned your back on all things Philadelphia.

My second favorite course in the world is less that 15 miles from William Penn's hat. You just have not played it. ;)

Gary Daughters

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 08:51:27 PM »

George Will told a funny story on one of those Ken Burns things.  He said in his boyhood town all his pals chose to be Cards fans, and  he alone pulled for Cubs.  Then he said something to the effect of:  They are all well-adjusted, happy liberals and I am an embittered conservative.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back