News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

How many links courses are there in the USA???
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:16:45 PM »
What names come to mind when you think of authentic links golf courses in the USA?

Shinnecock? Maidstone? National Golf Links?

No, they don’t qualify, say the authors of True Links, George Peper, former editor of Golf Magazine, and Malcolm Campbell, former editor of Golf Monthly.

The only four courses in the United States they say are “true links” are Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, and Old Macdonald (all at Oregon’s Bandon Dunes Golf Resort) and Highland Links on Massachusetts’ Cape Cod.

It's all about the golf!

Jim Eder

Re: How many links courses are there in the USA???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »
William,

It really depends on what definition one uses. Authentic links could mean several different things to several different people. How are you defining it exactly?

Personally, my kneejerk reaction to the courses you mention are yes in my mind but I understand the defintions other people use which may or may not include them. And the word "authentic" makes me think a bit more. I am still trying to form a better opinion after reading True Links and the many comments on this site.

I do know that I love the 3 courses you mention and find them truly special.

Tough question but very interesting.  I enjoy hearing the excellent comments of the folks on this site.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
This has been discussed alot in the past, and the general viewpoint here on GCA is that there is only a tiny bit of area in the US that is similar enough to the land in the UK and can actually pass for linksland. Therefore there are few true links in the US.

I've always had the mindset that 1) You know a Links when you're on one and 2) if you have to think about if you're on a links course for more than 15 seconds, you're probably not on one.
H.P.S.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »

I've always had the mindset that 1) You know a Links when you're on one and 2) if you have to think about if you're on a links course for more than 15 seconds, you're probably not on one.

I agree 100%. Some courses play EXACTLY the same as a links, but are not links. Bandon, for example.

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »
How are these NOT links

Misquamicut
Kiawah Ocean
Prouts Neck (at least the first 3-4 holes)
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 07:04:40 AM »
John;

Kiawah, in my mind, is clearly not a links, as the HYBRID BERMUDA TURF eliminates the ground game. 

The one time I played Kiawah, there was no way to bump the ball around, as the turf mercilessly took the run out of the shot.

Very unlinksy.

Tom
the pres

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:58:08 AM »
How about Chambers Bay? The turfgrass there certainly reminded me of my trips to Scotland.
Mr Hurricane

Mark Smolens

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:50:35 AM »
Based solely on my watching the US Am on television I'd have to agree with Jim on Chambers Bay. Sure looked like (as if?) it was playing as a links course. . .

Jim Eder

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I played Chambers a few times and it played like a links when I played it (and I really enjoyed the course). I believe Richard has played it a lot and I think he would call it a links as well. Personally I would call it a links and I believe the True Links book would have agreed if it was closer to the sea.

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 03:43:32 PM »
John Foley:

How are these NOT links

Misquamicut
Kiawah Ocean
Prouts Neck (at least the first 3-4 holes)

Kiawah Ocean?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:53:53 PM by Scott Warren »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »
The best comment on the other thread on this topic (the book TRUE LINKS) amounted to "why should we care?"  It's basically about measuring the size of your wang.  Shinnecock (no pun intended) is a great course, in the top ten in the world, no matter the classification.  In contrast, many of the official links courses from the book are not in the top 100 in the world.  Those are my two cents worth of advice.

The book is very nice, with nice photos and a nice premise.  It is not a holy text and should not replace the quran nor the bible, talmud, et al. in your sacred library.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back