News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Re: Trump in Scotland
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 02:35:18 AM »
Remember, the Scots call Aberdeen the "Windy City!"

Really ? , I have heard it called a few things before, but not that !

Jim Eder

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »
Ok, I just tried watching this and the pablum being puked is disgusting. How does an old 727 (didn't know they were still flying) hold an ego that size? One would have thought a plane like the guys at Google have or at least a Boeing Business Jet, the 737 type, would be what a successful guy like Trump would use. Are they too expensive I wonder? The arrogance of the guy is unreal.  If only it would be justified. I wonder how much Martin and Paul advised him as to what to say on the show. I have been told that the hype Trump spews needs to be taken at 10% of the words unless someone knowledgable gives him the words. It is all show, not a lot of substance behind him (at least from what I have been told from people who know him). I can't believe the viewership (in general, not people on this site) eat up his shows, unreal. Sorry for the rant.

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »

I'm certain the Donald will have caddies, complete with authentic, Trump tarten-trimmed, white overalls and topped with the dated, 70's style pillbox profile caps the Donald wears , sporting his crass Trump logo.

long live the Bay City Rollers !!!

Loved the artists impression of the residential element, beautifully integrated I thought along imaginative lines  ::)

Niall

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 03:05:06 PM »
There are several friends of mine who have personal relationships with this real estate developer. They are on here but will speak up if they choose. They feel his desire to build a great course is real and he listens. However I believe his ability to comprehend  archtecture and then blend it into his approach to business and promotion creates a flawed modal. He is even more flawed in his style of communication to anyone who is schooled on this subject. It was my mistake to watch the show the day before. which I blamed on pain killers from a biopsy had the day before. I can say proudly I will not play a Trump course or stay at much less buy anything with the Trump name on it. I would have trouble not laughing at anyone I met who did join a Trump club or buy a trump condo as well. And that includes what may end up being a really good course in Scotland.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
Just saw what must have been a replay.  If I didn't know better, I'd think it was self-satire.  Maybe it was, or at least some of it.  Who knows?  Clearly The Donald has his tongue-in-cheek some of the time.  What about the bemused and embarrassed looks on the faces of those around him?  Are the Scots in such shape that they need to suffer the humiliation?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »

In my travels I often thought Aberdeen was the "Granite City".What's the name of the street/hotel that is a humorous name when combined.It escapes me at this moment.I think Trump will benefit the area.

Anthony

Adam Clayman

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »
I'm with Rory on how disgusting he was ripping the one hold out. The man gets away with puffery. Can he get away with slander too? Was it slander?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 04:53:16 AM »
I think Trump will benefit the area.

Anthony, I think you and Mr Trump would get on great .

Haste you back ...... not !

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 07:11:26 AM »

Trump, I do not know the guy but I do not enjoy his circus coming to town telling us he will build one of the greatest course. I might be more inclined to believe him if I thought it was all his own money running on this venture. Also if the houses, Hotels and shops were existing and not the source of the money for the course.

I could also understand if his intention was to copy the private club and course that Peter de Savary produced at The Carnegie Club, Skibo Castle  (http://www.carnegieclub.co.uk/), but no that is not his intention.

The site of his new venture is questionable although very beautiful, I wonder if all that has been agreed has been made public. Some further miles north there is an ideal site for a course, where the land is slightly more stable and within a mile of a local village. Actually on a site of a previous course closed years ago.

I suppose I could see his format working in other parts of the world but will it work here in Scotland, it will be to the amusement of the locals, who will say, if only he asked us we could have told him some sites for a good golf course.

Time will tell – I wonder by then if he would have had to trade down to a DC2 Dakota – let’s hope not because that will mean he left a mess on our shores.

Melvyn

PS Anthony - ignore Brian he is having a seniour monent and not been himself recently

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 07:46:21 AM »
PS Anthony - ignore Brian he is having a seniour monent and not been himself recently

Melvyn
Do you honestly believe that sh*te you just wrote there ?

But on your PS, lets see ........

Here is Mr. Gray, who travelled over to Aberdeenshire, and according to his posts, enjoyed the courses and the hospitality of the locals and their towns.

But he also thinks, that this can be improved by a Loudmouth Fellow Countryman !

Not sure about you, but thats called bad manners where I come from  >:(

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 09:21:20 AM »

Brian

Only a week or so ago you had a go at me regard stirring up the pot with our friends from across the pond. Today you are moaning about one of them. I understand you comment but this site has a major problem it lost its sense of humour many years ago.

WE need to look at what is said noting that the edit button is not working on some of the members sites , mine included, then we need to take it in context as well as from who said it – like we would if talking around the table. There are many innocent comments made that bear nothing to the way they have been taken by others. Its becomes a blood bath because we all seem to go into BLOGG-RAGE – I expect some just take advantage of those they don’t like either.

Where were your words of condemnation when a certain individual wished that I had had a STROKE, that was not said in humour but meant. Anthony is Anthony, he has his moments as we all do, sometimes we all step over the mark, but Anthony has never wished me or anyone dead.

I agree with standards but they have to be uniform throughout the site and Member. As for Anthony comments, I am sure that when he finds out that he has upset you he will no doubt contact you to clear the air. 

Brian, it’s a site for and of opinions from many different cultures with perhaps the only common thing being our enjoyment of golf the the media of English that is used be it American English , German English Scottish English, well you get my drift. You have every right to feel upset, so write a PM to Anthony explaining your concerns, if you do not get one from him, but clear the air.

AS for you and me, I have no issues with you, I even added another photo yesterday of the 18th Hole at Moray because you said you liked it.

Melvyn

Richard Phinney

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 10:09:21 AM »
As someone who was recently arrested and jailed while filming a documentary about this development, I think I can safely say that the piece on the golf channel did not show the complete story.

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 12:51:06 PM »
As someone who was recently arrested and jailed while filming a documentary about this development, I think I can safely say that the piece on the golf channel did not show the complete story.

Care to share more? Can we see this documentary eventually?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Robert Thompson

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »

You think? I assume Trump produces the program -- certainly wasn't any suggestion of objective journalism there. It was actually way over the top. I thought he might actually feel up Miss Scotland... Pathetic.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Anthony Gray

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »

Melvyn
Do you honestly believe that sh*te you just wrote there ?

But on your PS, lets see ........

Here is Mr. Gray, who travelled over to Aberdeenshire, and according to his posts, enjoyed the courses and the hospitality of the locals and their towns.

But he also thinks, that this can be improved by a Loudmouth Fellow Countryman !

Not sure about you, but thats called bad manners where I come from  >:(

Sorry about the bad manners Brian.I'm not sure what I've said/done that is bad manners

Anthony

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:56:56 PM by Anthony Gray »

Alister Matheson

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2010, 02:21:22 PM »
Im lookin forward to seeing the end product ! Aberdeen needs top class accomidation !

Plus another world class course wouldnt hurt either.

P.S The local shops are selling fire side rugs as  D T wigs this Halloween !

Cheers Alister
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Anthony Gray

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2010, 03:19:12 PM »

The housing...will it be for holiday or can I buy one?

Anthony

Alister Matheson

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »

The housing...will it be for holiday or can I buy one?

Anthony

I heard the new course will be so tough AG will be given a house for services rendered onsite at the halfway house tooled up with chair /pliers and molegrips !
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Eric Smith

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2010, 03:32:57 PM »
Bad manners are bad manners, whether they be in public, or in private. There is no distinguishing between the two.

Richard Phinney

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2010, 07:26:27 AM »

Care to share more? Can we see this documentary eventually?

Here are a couple of links...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/12/film-makers-arrested-donald-trump-scottish-golf-resort

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/press-freedom-meets-its-match-on-a-scottish-golf-course/article1728876/

The documentary will be released next year.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2010, 07:46:21 AM »

Richard

Hooligans, bloody hooligans, as they said in Dad’s Army.  Now the real question is would Old Tom want this circus in town to promote the game he loved – My humble opinion is NO

Keep up the good work Richard

Melvyn

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2010, 10:00:37 PM »
http://news.scotsman.com/news/Trump39s-star-greenkeeper-leaves-the.6612308.jp?articlepage=2

Trump's star greenkeeper leaves the course
Published Date: 04 November 2010
By SHÂN ROSS

THE star greenkeeper headhunted by tycoon Donald Trump to create a world-class golf course in Scotland has parted company with his boss.

However, the reason why Paul O'Connor, 43, has left the Trump Organisation, which is developing a controversial £750 million golf resort at Menie, near Balmedie, remained unclear last night.

Trump's spokeswoman said Mr O'Connor had departed "for personal reasons".

But, sources claim that Mr O'Connor - who previously spent 18 years at Carnoustie Golf Club in Angus, helping to attract the Open in 1999 and 2007 - was dismissed last week after refusing to be part of Trump's "campaign of intimidation" against people refusing to sell their land to the New York-based magnate.

It is understood the dispute centres round Mr O'Connor's refusal to follow Trump's order to build a huge mound of earth behind the home of David Milne, one of several neighbours on the Menie estate who refused to sell their homes.

Trump visited the site last month and was said to be extremely angry his instructions had not been complied with. A bank of earth about 100ft across and 20ft high appeared behind Mr Milne's house a few days before Mr O'Connor's dismissal.

Mr O'Connor, who was appointed a year ago, has confirmed he is no longer working for the Trump Organisation but refused to go into details of his departure.

Speaking last December, just weeks after starting his new job, Mr O'Connor said: "This is the best golf project that has come along for a long, long time. The only reason I left Carnoustie was for a project like this. I would not have left otherwise."

Mr Milne, who has refused to sell his land to Trump, said: "I've only spoken to Mr O'Connor once and he seemed to me like a man of integrity.

"I would not be at all be surprised if they parted company because his personal honour exceeded that of his employer."

Mr Milne and his wife Moira live at Hermit Point overlooking the Menie Estate

Their home is one of four on land forming part of the masterplan for the golf resort, but which Mr Trump does not own.

Aberdeenshire Council is expected to decide if their homes should be the subject of compulsory purchase orders early next year.

Mr Milne said mounds of earth had appeared outside homes of other residents who refused to sell up to Trump.

Last night, Sarah Malone, executive vice-president of Trump International Golf Links Scotland, said: "Paul O'Connor left the team last week for personal and family reasons.

"With regard to the stockpiling of soil … this is a necessary part of the golf course construction process, for which we have full planning permission."

The organisation added that media reports about Mr O'Connor were "factitious (sic) and based on David Milne's speculation".

"Unfortunately, Milne appears unable to come to terms with the reality that a major golf and leisure development is being built around his property.

"No-one is being intimidated - we are merely getting on with the business of building. The landowners in the vicinity know that they are now living in the middle of a very large construction site and work will only increase over the coming years."

Anthony Gray

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2010, 06:46:03 AM »

Trumops course will eventually grow on people.Much like Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart which were created by Americans.The course and accomidations will overcome any jealosy people have for Trumps success and creativity.

Anthony

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 07:40:51 AM »
I had the pleasure of walking the course last week and there is no question that it will end up as a winner.

I won’t say too much but I might counter a couple of things that were said earlier in the thread.

The course is “big” in every sense of the word. There will indeed be back tees that require walking off greens, up a dune and then back down again. But by this website’s own mantra, those tees won’t matter to anyone. The second and third back set of tees are being carefully placed to minimise elevation change and distance to walk from the previous green. Those are the ones that matter. The only walk that is semi-large (on the back nine anyway) is 17 to 18.

For me, the back-nine flowed well (I spent less time on the front) – I disagree with the good Doctor Klein.

I think there will be good variety in the course as well. I had a preconception that we might end up with 18 valley holes but that was put to bed as soon as I walked the site.

As I said, it is a “big” course but that’s what is required. Perhaps the second course will be very appealing if and when it is built as the land is slightly less imposing and the “championship” brief may not be there.

Let’s wait and see how the detail pans out – I’m sure certain things won’t be to everyone’s liking on here. I’m equally sure that the 99.9% of golfers who aren’t on this website will eat it up. I think it should be spectacular.

If only he could call it “Balmedie Golf Club” instead of “Trump International Golf Links”…. It might make all the world of difference.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2010, 10:23:15 AM »

Trumops course will eventually grow on people.Much like Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart which were created by Americans.The course and accomidations will overcome any jealosy people have for Trumps success and creativity.

Anthony

I don't think ascribing unstated motives to the critics, particularly without addressing their substantive objectives, will do anything to further the conversation.  The accusation rings hollow in any event, as their are far more successful and creative people in the world than Donald Trump, and most of the people here critical of Trump are not critical of, say, Gates, Buffett, Jobs, Walton, Zuckerburg, etc.  That having been said, those people (some of which have their own flaws) do not use tactics from the Sopranos and Sons of Anarchy in order to acquire land, and -- perhaps as much of a moral crime to many here -- they do not incorrectly rate themselves a golf architecture prodigy.

Trump is (to some degree, like Branson) who he is - a marketer with one brand whose value-added has always been on the marketing side rather than the product side.  There's no need to ascribe improper motives to anyone in order to figure out why they may think this approach is inconsistent with quality (or ethical) golf architecture.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back