News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Braunsdorf

"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Stockton will close Seaview for two months early next year
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:24:50 PM »
Although I haven't played Flynn's Pines course recently, I've heard reports of poor conditions there. Let's see if the work done over the winter results in improved conditions there:

"The work will include major improvements to the golf courses including drainage, irrigation, tree removal and restroom upgrades. The golf locker room and shop will be remodeled. "
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Doug Braunsdorf

Re: Stockton will close Seaview for two months early next year
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 05:13:03 PM »
Steve,

I played Pines with friends back in late May.  I wouldn't say the conditions are poor, but conditioning could be a little better.  I think, all in all, the Pines is a few different architects represented, so the design is not very cohesive-there is some Flynn, some Gordon, and a few holes (6-7-8) that are very out of character with the rest of the course.  It does need TLC all around, though.  The Flynn holes can be good to very good, the Gordon holes

I think either Wayne or Joe has some pictures of the course in the past-when Flynn had designed 9 holes.  It seemed to me very much along the lines of Pine Valley or Pinehurst #2.  Or, in today's world, Hidden Creek, with sandy wastes and a "wilder" looking appearance.  Today, there is more grass. 

I am curious as to whether and how Pinelands land-use laws could or would impact any work done to the course. 

Will post picture from 1940; please iM me with instructions on how.  Thanks.

"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back