News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

Re: Expose yourself as a FRAUD - I'll go first!
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2010, 12:01:15 PM »
I hit driver on every par 4 & par 5, strategy be damned.

I don't have a handicap, what is a GIHN anyway?

I don't understand what slope or rating for a golf course is, nor do I care.

I have a pretty good golf course comb collection!

I just recently switch to modern irons (no more Maxfli Revolution circa 1992 for me) and really love them...hey, hitting the ball straighter is just more fun to me than hitting it sideways.

I think Mayacama and Turnberry are great golf courses and don't see the genius in Crystal Downs or Maidstone.

Whew, now I need a beer....

Only about the 1 millionth person to say as much about Maidstone... location, location, location.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »
Scott - yes, it's true. But on the other hand, that's the worst thing I can admit.

Jim - There's a perfect golf course out there for you, with like 5 birdie holes and maybe 1 or 2 holes you can't par, so challenging they are. I hope we can find it -- you wouldn't mind shooting 68-69 every time out, would you?

JM - Gotta admit (part 2), a staff bag with a name and tags from florida courses, I like that too.  I'd want to hang out with that guy...

Peter

JESII

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2010, 12:12:06 PM »
Peter,

We're talking triples and quad's, so 6 birdies and 2 triples would be great...is there one of those out there?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2010, 12:12:57 PM »
I think the availability of beer, and carts to carry it for a 2nd round of the day, is closer to the top of my list of requirements for greatness in a golf course than any "architectural" issue.

If I hear the word "biarritz" one more time I may commit mayhem.  Just hit the freakin' ball.

I believe that whereas great company makes for a great time, it's a bit much to say company is more important than venue.  I'd play with Satan at Cypress Point and enjoy myself.  Of course I'd also enjoy myself at God-forsaken Santa Teresa with a lot of regulars here or with other friends.

I think study of architecture is stupid, at least compared to playing the game.  But anyone who knows me knows I've said that at least 1000 times prior in here.

I could quite seriously give a rats ass who designed a golf course.  What is way more important than who.  But see the last one for the same caveat.

Playing the game remains what it is all about... and whereas ANY form of golf is time well-spent, it's trite to say that one can be completely NATO (not attached to outcome).  That gets old quickly.  One does need to measure himself against other golfers, be it by height or otherwise.

No one man can make or break this forum.  ALL are expendible, ALL have their worth.  

I want to play Augusta more than any place on this planet that I have not yet played.  I also think Augusta is indeed one of the world's greatest golf courses, and I could really give a rat's ass what changes they make to it.  

My golf hero is Jon Spaulding.

That's enough for now.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:18:32 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »
Peter,

We're talking triples and quad's, so 6 birdies and 2 triples would be great...is there one of those out there?

Man, you're a purist! I thought you meant missing a five footer for par, once or twice, every time you play a course. 

You've stumped me.

Peter

Greg Tallman

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2010, 12:35:01 PM »

I think study or architecture is stupid, at least compared to playing the game.  But anyone who knows me knows I've said that at least 1000 times prior in here.
Oh my... you are quite bold Señor Huckaby.
I could quite seriously give a rats ass who designed a golf course.  What is way more important than who.  But see the last one for the same caveat.
No one man can make or break this forum.  ALL are expendible, ALL have their worth.  
Oh come now, How could this forumn continue without Messers Doak, Mucci and Ward?

My golf hero is Jon Spaulding.
Well, he's no Anthony Gray!
That's enough for now.
INDEED!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
Scott - yes, it's true. But on the other hand, that's the worst thing I can admit.

Peter,

The  ??? meant that I was pointing out the contradictory terms "flat" and "tilted" regarding greens.  If it's tilted, it can't be flat.  I'm guessing you mean no 'interior undulations otherwise'.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2010, 12:44:21 PM »
Greg:

I don't have the energy to do the multicolor thing, so just some replies....

I'm not bold, old-timers have heard that take from me countless times before.  I'd sooner cut my arms off than walk a great course without playing for the purpose of study.  But I know, many here get into that and things like it.. and since I have participated here for many years, that's why it is I who am the fraud!  And isn't that the point of this thread? I think it's an open-air confessional so to speak.

A life without Mucci.. hmmmm... OK, I won't answer that.   ;D

Jon Spaulding is indeed no Anthony Gray, and I think each of them is happy that way.   ;D

Oh, thought of one more....

I think the Weiskopf course at Cabo del Sol is fantastic... and the Nicklaus course was world top-50 even before all the current changes.  But then again, the presence of free tacos on top of the availability of beer kinda means golf heaven to me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:48:17 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2010, 12:46:53 PM »
I like the work of Fazio, Nicklaus (probably in my top 5-10 of people I admire most), Rees Jones, Brauer, Doak, C & C, Plummer, Wilson, MacKenzie, Tillinghast, and Thomas.

I prefer long courses with multiple tees to short courses with only a couple of sets and being forced to play the shortest (fairly common in the UK).

I prefer the more subtle Plummer greens to the heavily contoured greens of yesteryear, particularly when speeds get above 10'.

Augusta National is #1 on my bucket list (which I no longer pursue with much enthusiasm).

As to golf heroes, Spaulding, Huntley, and Huckaby are a toss-up, though Goodale, Papazian, and Schmidt ("I don't give a Sh--") get consideration.

While I find architecture interesting and have studied the literature extensively, playing and posting a score are paramount; good architecture enhances the experience.

I don't find that being unashamedly of the "card and pencil" type and holding Dr. MacKenzie in the highest regard is evidence of mental illness.

I don't have an issue with asking acquaintances for access to a golf course and welcome the opportunity to help others when I am able, though I respect other perspectives on the subject.

I always look forward to the course ratings sections, and though they're imperfect like everything else, they serve very useful purposes.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
I agree with every word my friend Lou Duran just posted, with the exception that he needs better golf heroes if he puts me in there.  But then again I listed Spaudling so my sanity is seriously in question as much as his.

;D

Jason Topp

« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
I  think you only can determine how well you really play by posting a score for others to see.  Thus, the rounds I am most excited to play are stroke play competitive rounds.  For me, that is real golf and other forms of play are "happy golf" which loses something because the mental test is not nearly as taxing.

I prefer a boring course for a stroke play tournament.  The game is hard enough in stroke play without having to worry too much about card destroying hazards.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2010, 01:18:42 PM »
If I could only play one of them in my lifetime, I would probably play Pebble Beach over Cypress Point.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »
Not sure this qualifies me as a fraud, or even a guilty pleasure .... but I REALLY enjoy a one day member guest at a great course: Get to meet new people, fine food and drink, satisfies my need to compete, and doesn't take away any significant work or family time.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

George Pazin

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2010, 02:06:15 PM »
The caring, sharing part of me is forcing me to say that my post with so many accepted truths is an attempt to poke fun at myself...wish it were clear, but like most things on the web, it's not and best clarified.

Mostly I posted this to say how happy I am to see my good friend Lou post, I've missed his posts.

Pretty easy to see how anyone would call Huck a hero, but then again, many on here are mine.

Oh yeah, I like courses with few sets of tees, greatly prefer the old dead guys, and rarely keep score...

Pebble may be better than Cypress, but not Oakmont... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »
George, I had great intention of sending you a photo of the shirt I was wearing yesterday.. it was from the 2007 US Open.. darn it, got too caught up in things.

;D

Thought of something else that makes me fraudulent in here:

I truly believe that courses can be too firm and too fast.  Me no likely absurdity.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2010, 02:25:15 PM »
1.   I just played a Fazio course and liked it.
2.   I just played a Johnny Miller course and had fun.   (Of course both were complementary rounds with old friends.)
3.   I play a lot of cart ball.
4.   Almost always I take my dog when I golf.
5.   I use a Sky Caddie GPS unit most rounds, except when it’s really windy.  I also enjoy  just eyeballing distances.
6.   I don’t read 10 page threads about why Black Mesa is better than XYZ or most other rating threads.  Ratings are useful only as shortcuts to describing what is good golf to people who don’t understand and don’t really give a shit, or maybe, to golf nutcases like us on this site.  But most of the time, these discussions strike me as mental exercises for passionate, intelligent guys who have nothing better to do.  But that’s OK, boys, fire away without me. 
7.   I agree with most of what Huckaby  just said, so, as usual, don’t need to add anything to this discussion.  But I already typed it out before the dude beat me to it.

JR Potts

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »
I always keep score.  Even when i'm not "officially keeping score", I know exactly what I'm shooting.

I've been known to lose my temper from time to time....but once my anger is out, it's gone and I don't let it ruin the hole or the day.

I think it's hilarious when other people exhibit momentary acts of rage after hitting bad shots....the words that get strung together are usually quite unique and quite funny.

I love being in a good match and competitors start cheering, pumping fists and getting loud.

I don't think golf courses are mortuaries.   Hearing other groups hooting, hollaring and laughing is great.

I love long golf courses.

I'm not sure if theres a golf course that I truly disliked.  Anytime I'm playing golf is better than the alternative.

I'm a "scratch golfer" but I usually hate playing with scratch golfers as they're no fun, take themselves too seriously and are generally quite self-absorbed with their game.

I think drinking while playing golf is great....and I usually get better with alcohol.

There is time and a place for a golf cart.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:34:38 PM by Ryan Potts »

George Pazin

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »
Absurdity rules! Strike what I said about Huck being a hero!

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »
Absurdity rules! Strike what I said about Huck being a hero!

:)

I knew it wouldn't take much.
George, come out here and play Pasatiempo when the greens are fast and the pins are crazy.  You'll get it then.

The object of the game remains to get the ball in the hole.  When that is tantamout to impossible, that is absurd, and I don't see the point.

It's hard to imagine until one experiences it, though.

BTW, I kinda dig Ryan Potts' take on things... now there's a player and not a puller.  You go, Ryan.  And Dave, you added way more than me.

;D

Michael Dugger

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
If the fairways are terrible, and I manage to hit them and I keep drawing bad lies....

I'll spruce it up.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:54:23 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2010, 02:43:14 PM »
This probably doesnt class as being a fraud but I dont see this near enough as I think I should here... I couldnt give a $h!t who designed merion!

JR Potts

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2010, 02:44:03 PM »
Oh, one other thing.  I have no idea how to property pronounce "biarritz".

JESII

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »
This probably doesnt class as being a fraud but I dont see this near enough as I think I should here... I couldnt give a $h!t who designed merion!

Now if David M or Tom P said that...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2010, 02:56:29 PM »
Add Thomas McQuillan to my short list of heroes.

Thomas, believe me, there are MANY who share that viewpoint.

But Jim is right.... it's not us who need to state that.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »
Greg:

I don't have the energy to do the multicolor thing, so just some replies....
Come on, see how nice it looks?

I'm not bold, old-timers have heard that take from me countless times before.  I'd sooner cut my arms off than walk a great course without playing for the purpose of study.  But I know, many here get into that and things like it.. and since I have participated here for many years, that's why it is I who am the fraud!  And isn't that the point of this thread? I think it's an open-air confessional so to speak.

A life without Mucci.. hmmmm... OK, I won't answer that.   ;D
One word - Sharpie

Jon Spaulding is indeed no Anthony Gray, and I think each of them is happy that way.   ;D

Oh, thought of one more....

I think the Weiskopf course at Cabo del Sol is fantastic... and the Nicklaus course was world top-50 even before all the current changes.  But then again, the presence of free tacos on top of the availability of beer kinda means golf heaven to me.
your name has been submitted to the Golf Magazine Panel as a prime candidate to lead the process for you sir have a keen eye for quality. Seriously though you have to get down here and see the changes for yourself... they are quite stunning and greatly enhance the golf experience. Sadly due to economic reasons we have ahd to begin charging $12 USD per taco.

Just kidding about the Tacos.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back