News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

Re: Expose yourself as a FRAUD - I'll go first!
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2010, 04:55:21 PM »
I don't like holes where my wife's tee is behind mine, "because the par is different".
If the hole is a par four over 400 yards, it's a driver off the tee.
If the hole is a par five under 500 yards, it might be a three wood, will investigate.
I love long par threes in F&F conditions. (Carnoustie and Turnberry are two good ones).  Long par threes with water aren't so good.
I love random anything on a golf course, except maybe the bunker behind the tee at the Dukes 17.  We need more angled cross bunkers.  I like a variety of styles (copies) during 18 holes.  Les Furber does this well, at times.
I don't care about yardages but I really like centre line poles.
Golf carts are here to pay, and I don't mind using one when it's dry and they don't have cart path rules.
I like Stroke Indexes to be consistant, are they for Stableford (difficulty to par) or for Match Play?
I prefer the Blue tees to be the Championship set. The "Blues" vs the "Tips".
I think almost every designer has some good holes.
Does "finding the holes" mean the bummer holes are just there to link the good ones?  I have found so many modern courses to have one really bad hole (sometimes more).
I actually dislike beverage carts, and most caddies - both are interruptions not required.  I hate GPS on carts.
I would prefer we all had to use a maximum of 9 clubs, and none should loft of over 56 degrees.
etc. I would continue but I get logged off too often.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Joe Grasty

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:25 AM »
I like walking, but only if I can use a push cart.  And the temperature is less than 90F.
I hate bent greens.  I love bermuda greens.  And make them hard and fast, please.
I love firm and fast fairways.  I don't hit the ball very far, so every little bit helps.
I hate trees on golf courses. They don't call me the lumberjack for nothing; if a tree can be hit, I'll hit it.
I like Jeff Brauer courses.  I dislike Fazio courses.
I love Cowboys Golf Club, but I only play it when I get a coupon.  I'm cheap, I guess.
I love Pete Dye courses, even though they beat me up.
I love shambles. And beer. These go together.
I've never played a course with caddies, but I suspect I would like having a caddie.
I hate long forced carries.
I hate par-5s I can't reach in 2.  That would be all of them.

David Camponi

« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »
I like teeing it up in a bunker then blasting a driver out while my playing partners who can't see my ball are amazed at my talent.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2010, 06:12:32 PM »
I like teeing it up in a bunker then blasting a driver out while my playing partners who can't see my ball are amazed at my talent.

;D   

Good thread.

Shivas is right. Wider does equal easier in an age of B&I that encourages an aerial route to the flag.

I'd go further, real width has to be used judiciously or it becomes boring.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »
I often wear two logos (hat and shirt), and sometimes a third if the weather calls for layers.

Some of my favorite holes are the 14th at Trails, the old dell hole at Erin Hills, 9 and 15 at Kingsley and 7 at Chambers Bay.

I'd rather play a two and half hour round with only my Ipod as company than a five hour slog, regardless of the company.

When playing with strangers, I silently pray that they're (a) not absolutely horrible, and (b) not ridiculously good.

I prefer walking off yardage to using a gun, it makes you think about the shot a little more.

I'd rather play in the wind than in a dead calm.

I'd rather play in 45 deg weather than 90 deg weather.

I've come this close to breaking my putter over my knee, but was probably too tired/hungover to pull it off.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sean_A

« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2010, 07:13:23 AM »
I like width more because it is quicker and easier than for pure architectural reasons.

I like to think I am getting a fair deal when playing golf and so am not impressed by inflated green fees no matter how good the course is.  Golf is just a game.

I don't like a lot of wind. 

A bit of riff raff on a course is good stuff.  Golf is about having fun and not about etiquete.

I don't like to play  (read walk) too fast and folks who try to push me along with a brisk walking pace piss me off.

Carts have a place in the game.

I don't liike quick greens because I have in the back of my mind "how much extra am I being charged to watch guys flub about". 

I detest a wide gap in fairway and green firmness - this is the single biggest maintenance problem I see in the States.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jud_T

« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2010, 09:36:56 AM »
I love playing by myself in a cart in 2 hours or less.

I would rather play 9 with my kid at the local muni than play another 7000 yard Championship test (insert your favorite here).

You'd think I was very good from my play around the greens,  you'd think I'd just taken up the game from some off my long game shots.

I'd rather play with a woman who's quick than a guy who's slower than molasses, regardless of ability.

The next guy who talks while I'm hitting is likely to get shot dead on site.

It took me 10 years to realize that losing my temper on a golf course didn't serve the better good.

I'm a sucker for Golf Rankings Lists, or almost any ratings list for that matter.  Have been since I was a kid.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2010, 11:06:09 AM »

Your mental breakdown at the grudge match begins on the first tee.  Oh, sorry Jud, didn't see you swinging while I was talking to X.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2010, 11:22:50 AM »
I don't know if it makes me a fraud or not but here's my admission...

Conditioning and maintenance matter more than every strategic, architectural and routing aspect of the course combined. Given the choice between firm, dry, springy turf with tight lies on a boring, featureless routing vs. the most interesting, strategic course in world playing slow, wet and soft and it's no comparison. I'll take the firm turf 10 times out of 10.

The only other aspect that's even in the running is the need for a fairly compact routing that doesn't take me 5 hours to walk because it's so spread out.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2010, 11:27:10 AM »
I like the golf courses of Jack Nicklaus

I walked & driven around Merion – Not sold on it

I have no problem taking a cart anytime

I do not watch golf on TV other than recording the majors on Sunday and fast forwarding through them that night.

I think the concept of Bandon troubling when I look at the greens fees

I love the RTJ Trail in Alabama

When we play golf on our annual trip, all lost balls are played as a lateral hazard – keeps things moving.

The faster the greens the better.

I love yardage guides

I love golf in the desert.

John you sound like Mr Normal.:O)
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jud_T

« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »

Your mental breakdown at the grudge match begins on the first tee.  Oh, sorry Jud, didn't see you swinging while I was talking to X.

Then apparently I will win 1 & 35...I promise not to wear Maize & Blue to the funeral.... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »

Your mental breakdown at the grudge match begins on the first tee.  Oh, sorry Jud, didn't see you swinging while I was talking to X.

Then apparently I will win 1 & 35...I promise not to wear Maize & Blue to the funeral.... 8)

I thought you A2 folks were mentally strong enough to handle a little conversation while swinging the golf club.  Apparently you all are as fragile as your current football coach.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2010, 04:29:10 PM »
I tried the cheater line on Sunday because I was 3 down with 5 to go and really needed to make 12 footer that slid about 2 feet right, and I had been missing my lines all day.  

Did you make the putt?  How much longer did it take?

JESII

« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2010, 04:29:30 PM »
That's it - shut it down now!

JMEvensky

« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2010, 04:37:11 PM »
Cheater line veterans know that you have to account for the extra Sharpie ink and play the break accordingly.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2010, 04:44:04 PM »
I hit a putt this weekend with cheater mud on it. The ball had picked up a smudge from making a deep ballmark on the green and it was a scary-fast downhiller that I wasn't sure would stay on the green. I think Lee Trevino one time mentioned not cleaning the ball so as to slow it down.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »
I hit a putt this weekend with cheater mud on it. The ball had picked up a smudge from making a deep ballmark on the green and it was a scary-fast downhiller that I wasn't sure would stay on the green. I think Lee Trevino one time mentioned not cleaning the ball so as to slow it down.

I think my spiritual leader is alright with that as long as you didn't spend more than 3 secs. on the perpendicular alignment!
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »
Based on my observation how much quicker this site moves compared to a couple of years ago I can't be the only one who just loves reading their own posts.  This feels opposite to anything I have ever heard a great writer say in an interview.  It makes sense given all the bloggers out there with no audience besides themselves.  People who love the sound of their own voice are obvious bores.  This is troubling.

God I love this site with me on it.

Phil McDade

« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
I enjoy playing golf much more now that I don't keep score.

I love playing match play -- it fits my game (absolutely horrible one hole, decent the next, with no accounting for why this should be so).

I have never carried a handicap, and never plan to.

I enjoy walking courses without playing them.

I think you can understand a golf course's architecture having walked but not played it.

Nearly all modern (post-WWII) courses I've seen are over-rated; most courses pre-Depression are under-rated.

I love the history, development and architectural lineage of golf courses.

Having learned the game on muni's and dirt-cheap daily fees (and where I play mostly), I still get a bit nervous when invited to play at a private club (kind of like the way I felt when my college girlfriend dragged me to Mass -- like I didn't fit in).

All range finders should be banned.

I don't use a cheater line, but I do line up my golf ball logo.

I play more quickly off tees and fairways and around greens, than I do on the greens.

I used to think I walked and played the game quickly, until I played with Eric Terhorst.

I've never met anyone via GCA who wasn't pleasant and fun to be around. :D

Ben Sims

« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »
I see this as an exercise in self-deprecation.  Not as a way of endearing yourself to a crowd.  Nothing is worse than the guy in a job interview when asked about his biggest flaw replies, "I work too hard".

-I have a horrible temper on the tee box.  

-I hate putting.  Which is odd considering I truly love--heavily contoured greens.  

-Nothing makes me madder than someone insinuating that golf should be played in under three hours.  

-I just can't subscribe to the whole "big world" theory.  

-Carts are a wonder of modern technology.

-I am insanely jealous of guys like Gib Papazian and John Kavanaugh in a writing sense. 

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:45:05 PM by Ben Sims »

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2010, 02:16:28 PM »
I like Olympic (Lake) better than SFGC and Riviera.  There... I've said it!!!  Please don't hold it against me... i still want to play the other courses again in the future!!!!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
I'm probably not as fast a player as I think I am.

I found the Sheep Ranch disorienting (but would like to go back).

Scott Stearns

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
My names is Scott--iam a...GCA addict....

I once played an Art Hills course and had fun.

I like some Jack Nicklaus courses.

sometimes i LIKE riding in a cart.

I've hit 'til i was happy

I dont play the back tees--i'd rather hit 8 iron and feel like superman than "see it all"

once i bought TWO shirts at a course where i played as a guest.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »
Say it ain't so....

None of your guys really believed that nonsense about me actually using a cheater line, did you?   

There's not a snowball's chance in hell I'd ever do that, no matter what the situation...

No.  That's why I asked about how much longer it took. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2010, 05:35:43 PM »
Based on my observation how much quicker this site moves compared to a couple of years ago I can't be the only one who just loves reading their own posts.  This feels opposite to anything I have ever heard a great writer say in an interview.  It makes sense given all the bloggers out there with no audience besides themselves.  People who love the sound of their own voice are obvious bores.  This is troubling.

God I love this site with me on it.

In a nutshell!

JK - the one-eyed Jack!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back