News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Elvins

Re: Bandon Perspective
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 03:57:26 AM »
IMO, the argument as to what is and isn't "links golf" has to be the most boring and pointless argument in the world of Golf Course architecture. 

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Cristian

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 04:54:06 AM »
I have visited UK & Ireland links courses several times; Travel time for me being 4 or 5 hours from my doorstep to the courses (I live in A'dam). I also visited Bandon via Portland (10 and a half hr flight, 2 hours++ waiting for customs in the non-resident line....+4 hrs by rental car = 17 hours and vice versa 4 days later), did not regret it for one moment.

The courses at Bandon are a different experience to UK+Ireland golf, but each experience is unique, even between the Bandon courses themselves. And for the record: The courses at Bandon all play F&F and ground-game-friendly, comparable to most links courses in UK& Ireland (although these might be a bit more aerial-game-hostile). The course at Bandon that to me comes closest to feeling like an old country links experience is Old Mac, especially around the greens, with BD coming second and PacD third (which is not necessarily my order of merit for these courses, just the degree in which they resemble classic links to me). 

Make sure to experience both, even if it is only once!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 08:38:12 AM »
IMO, the argument as to what is and isn't "links golf" has to be the most boring and pointless argument in the world of Golf Course architecture. 

You think so David? You have got to be from the UK or Ireland.

I'd bet that 95% of the golfers in the US have never stepped foot on a links course and most do not know what the term means.  I think it matters. I don't think Whistling Staights is a links course, even if it looks like one on TV. I think that understanding that the ground came COULD be a fun and viable option is important, but the vast majority of American golfers don't ever consider it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back