News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Desert Pines - Yikes, You need to New
« on: October 11, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »
be outfitted with flak jackets and helmets prior to teeing off.

Signs warning golfers of their liability for errant shots are everywhere.

I couldn't believe Pete Dye designed this course until I got to the back nine and saw the "novel" use of railroad ties.

Why would you inject so many water hazards on a tight public access course if your intent it to move rounds around the golf course in less than 4 hours.  Water INTRUDES too often, slowing down play tremendously.

It took us three (3) hours to play the front nine.

Knowing that the course is for public access, why not make it user friendly and quick to play ?

Should it be redesigned ?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:59:48 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Ted Cahill

Re: Desert Pines - Yikes, You need to
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:59:42 PM »
Invest in the drive and head out to PrimmValley.  Fun golf and cheap for Vegas 
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:52:07 AM »
Pat,

I think it was Perry Dye and he went through a short period of trying to design courses on less land to save money.  That one was for an owner who more or less pioneered the concept.  I actually did a routing for him, and was dismissed for proposing a par 66 to 68 golf course totaling about 1000 yards less.  He was pretty insistent that it be a regulation course, obviously.

Related LV news, I got an email that the course I did design is up for sale - Stallion Mountain.  Always a bit sad to see a project go through difficulties.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Matt Day

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:00:56 AM »
Desert Pines was my first American golf course that I played, it was an interesting experience.

Some of the holes from memory were really, really close to busy roads, the bunkers were hand raked in a chequer board style and the view to the mountains was pretty good on some holes   :)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:03:25 AM by Matt Day »

George_Williams

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 04:22:40 PM »
Brauer's right- it was Perry.  I looked at it too.  It's only on 85 acres.  Perry did a similar one on about the same amount of land in Cypress, CA a few years before this one.  So, he's the King of regulation-length courses on 85 AC sites!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back