News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pritchett

What Five Donald Ross Courses...
« on: October 11, 2010, 06:12:49 PM »
would you suggest someone play to get the most comprehensive understanding of his work?

Obviously Pinehurst No.2 would be on most lists, what others courses come to mind? 

Jonathan Cummings

Re: What Five Donald Ross Courses...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:30:16 PM »
Wannomoisett and Seminole are two of the others.  The last two could be argued forever....

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 06:36:16 PM »
Plainfield would be a strong consideration, I'm sure.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 06:38:11 PM »
Essex in MA

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:38:43 PM »
I don't think you can go wrong with a dozen or two of his courses.

Certainly Seminole, Pinehurst # 2, Plainfield, Mountain Ridge, Wanamoisett and others would help.

Jay Cox

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
I need to list six:

Wannamoisett, as the pinnacle of Ross's genius in routing.

Seminole, Pinehurst No. 2, and French Lick Springs, as examples to illustrate (1) just how varied Ross's excellent courses are and (2) how everything always comes back to the greens, even if the greens don't follow a single consistent style.

Essex County, both because of Ross's deep ties to the place and as an example of his impact on Massachusetts golf.

Wilmington Golf Course, or another muni that still resembles the original Ross design, to capture that the bulk of his work was designing courses that did not aim to be extraordinary but that are excellent for what they are.

It's amazing to me how different those six courses are, and therefore how hard it is to remove one from the list and still to say that they would give someone a comprehensive understanding of Ross's work.  If pushed, I suppose I would remove Seminole.

Chris Buie

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
Aronimink would probably be on the list of 5.  Seminole as well.  I'm pretty sure that is what he would tell you.  He definitely thought Aronimink was one of his very best.
I don't disagree with the suggestions others are listing.  

If you want a comprehensive understanding of Ross I would recommend reading his own words:
http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Has-Never-Failed-Commentaries/dp/1886947104

GCA's own Brad Klein has also written a key book in understanding this prolific man:
http://www.amazon.ca/Discovering-Donald-Ross-Architect-Courses/dp/1886947554
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:54:35 PM by Chris Buie »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »

Wilmington Golf Course, or another muni that still resembles the original Ross design, to capture that the bulk of his work was designing courses that did not aim to be extraordinary but that are excellent for what they are.

Jay,

Good call on the muni, I have played Asheville Municipal and understand it has been left alone for the most part.  I need to check out Wilmington.  I am planning to play Cape Fear CC soon and will try to make it to the municipal on the same trip.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:53:49 PM by Mark Pritchett »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 06:53:16 PM »
Aronimink would probably be on the list of 5.  Seminole as well.  I'm pretty sure that is what he would tell you. 
I don't disagree with the suggestions others are listing. 

If you want a comprehensive understanding of Ross I would recommend reading his own words:
http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Has-Never-Failed-Commentaries/dp/1886947104

GCA's own Brad Klein has also written a key book in understanding this prolific man:
http://www.amazon.ca/Discovering-Donald-Ross-Architect-Courses/dp/1886947554

Thanks Chris!  I have read both of these excellent books and recommend them as well to anyone interested in Ross courses.  Michael Fay's Golf as it was Meant to be Played is another book worth checking out and well as Richard Mandell's incredible history of the Pinehurst area:  Pinehurst Home of American Golf

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 06:59:39 PM »
Augusta Country Club and Holston Hills can not be missed...excellent cross bunkering and green sites. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bret Swanson

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 07:11:58 PM »
I'm no authority . . . but I just played the Donald Ross Course (formerly called Spring Hills) at French Lick (Indiana) two weeks ago. Hugely impressed. Twelve of us went down mostly to play the new monster hilltop Pete Dye Course, but we played Ross the day before. What a surprise. Not well known even in Indiana and I imagine, excepting GCA experts who know these things, even more inconspicuous to the world because of French Lick's rather remote location in the southern hills of the state. They just restored some 35 Ross bunkers and expanded the greens to their original size, and the results are terrific. The topography and Ross's use of it make the course. Somewhere between rolling and downright hilly. And you could apply those adjectives not just to the course but to the greens themselves. We had the driest August on record, so the greens were left shaggy to help repair some damage, but the steep slopes were imposing nonetheless.

http://www.frenchlick.com/golf/donaldRoss/index.jsp

As it happened, my brother played Beverly in Chicago the same week and was similarly impressed.

For those who've played a larger sample of Ross courses, am I right to say these are two good examples?

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 07:37:09 PM »
Bret,

I think French lick is a pretty solid choice, not sure what it was like before the renovation, but the course is a delight to play.  Nice routing, interesting greens, rolling property.  Though it would be more visually appealing if the cart paths could be removed or rerouted.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
Having grown up in MI, my favorites are:

Rackham Golf Course, Huntington Woods MI
Barton Hills Country Club, Ann Arbor MI
Inverness Club, Toledo OH

Rackham Golf Course, in Huntington Woods MI is public and in rough shape but you can still see some of the great design qualities.

I guess this didn't answer your question but fun to reminisce..

Ryan
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

J_ Crisham

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 08:36:26 PM »
Let's not forget Charles River in the Boston burbs. Ross spent some time here tweaking things. Would add Seminole, Aronimink, White Bear Yacht, and a personal favorite Beverly. :) So many great one's to pick from!
                                                                                               Jack

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 01:00:21 AM »
Plainfield has to be on the list easily. A very good golf course with some nicely varied greens and a superb set of two short par 3's and four great par 5's. On this thread, it's getting its usual amount of indifference. Big mistake

Gerry B

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 01:59:23 AM »
essex county - my favorite ross course
seminole
pinehurst 2
i am told holston hills is very good

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 08:51:32 AM »
There are many to choose from:

Essex
Southern Pines
Seminole
French Lick (I agree with others...very good with a great set of greens)
Beverly, Skokie, and Old Elm in Chicago

It depends if we're only discussing his original designs or courses that he renovated/redesigned.
H.P.S.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 09:13:30 AM »
Does Oakland Hills still count? That would be my #1 Ross. I would also include Northland CC in Deluth, MN.

1. Oakland Hills
2. Seminole
3. Pinehurst #2
4. Plainfield
5. Northland CC
Mr Hurricane

jonathan_becker

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 09:19:43 AM »
Jim,

Oakland Hills still counts in my book. 

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Brookside.  The varying and severe greens are beyond worth seeing.

Jay Cox

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 09:32:38 AM »
Isn't there a difference between Mark's question, which is about getting the most comprehensive understanding of Ross's work, and the question many people seem to be answering, which is "What are the best five Ross courses?"

I think there is a lot of value in thinking about the important elements in a designer's work, especially one as prolific and influential as Ross, and in selecting courses that would capture those elements for someone unfamiliar with them.  And I think the "comprehensive understanding" lists will and should look very different from the "best" lists.

For example:

Does Oakland Hills still count?

As one of the best courses that Ross deserves design credit for? Sure.
As a course one should see to get an understanding of Ross as an architect?  I doubt it.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
I know its probably not in the top 5, but Schuylkill Country Club (Orwigsburg, PA) surely deserves a look for any Donald Ross fan!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
Of those I've played I'd suggest the five with an asterisk:

Plainfield CC *  (True championship test.  Pedestrian nature of Tunnel Holes makes Ross work shine even brighter)
Holston Hills CC *  (Faithful, restrained restoration.  Routing uses slight elevation changes to yield uphill approaches and landing areas)
Southern Pines
Mid Pines (Faithful to Ross' view of golf as recreational, yet somehow manages to steal half-strokes from even the better player)
Pine Needles
Beverly CC
Augusta CC
Mountain Ridge CC
Belle Meade CC
Cherokee CC
Memphis CC * (Brilliant routing on tight rectangular site - homer choice)
Lulu CC * (Good example of Ross' strong 2 shotters with some quirk tossed in (dell, alps, quarry) for good measure.
Athens CC
French Lick Hill Course
Idle Hour CC

I agree that French Lick should be seen for the wild greens, but consider them atypical of his work.  The restorations at Beverly, Idle Hour, Augusta and Mountain Ridge are outstanding and legitimate attempts at interpreting Ross "intent" but are just that - interpretations.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:48:35 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mac Plumart

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 11:43:18 AM »
Ryan makes a great point...Inverness must be played.

Pick some core Ross courses...say...Holston Hills, Augusta CC, Pine Needles, Pinehurst #2, and then finish up with Inverness.  While I truly love Inverness, at this point in the rotation you will so clearly see the non-Ross holes and features and it will be excellent in many ways (cementing what makes a Ross course, seeing great examples of his routing, greens, but also you will see the necessity of keeping rennovations and updates in lock step with the original flow and context of the course).

2 cents.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »
Those who are playing in the Dixie Cup in ten days will get to play a couple of gems - Carolina Golf Club and Mimosa Hills.

My personal favorite is Athens Country Club where Bob Crosby swears I stiffed him on a $2 bet when he was a high school kid.   ;)

Niall Hay

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »
1. No. 2
2. Seminole
3. Oakland Hills/Aronimink
4. East Lake/Wannamoisett
5. Scioto/Inverness

Fond spot for Southern Pines though condition is not great....Franklin Hills, Salem/Essex, RICC are all enjoyable. Obviously torn...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back