News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Sander

Re: Chicago GCAers - PAIRINGS The Highlands of Elgin Oct. 17?
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
I modified the tee times in the previous post to help accomodate some travel plans...thanks...

PCCraig

Re: Chicago GCAers - Interest in The Highlands of Elgin Oct. 17?
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »
Sounds great, thanks for taking care of everything Matt!
H.P.S.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 01:17:32 PM »
Matt, looks like I won't have to be preparing witnesses for my trial on Sunday, so I'm in if that 16th spot is still open. Look forward to seeing some GCA folks again. Advance weather forecast looks great, unlike the state of my game.

Matthew Sander

Re: Chicago GCAers - PAIRINGS - The Highlands of Elgin Oct. 17
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2010, 01:58:54 PM »
Mark Smolens makes a full roster of 16. See you all Sunday, the forecast looks fantastic...

10:43
Pat Craig
Andrew Calcutt
Bill Seitz
Mark Smolens

10:52
Jim Colton
Jeff Tang
Jim Tang
Matt Sander

11:01
Chris Flamion
Zack Molnar
Jud Tigerman
Michael Baldwin

11:10
George Freeman
Sven Nilsen
Steve Salmen
Andrew Lewis

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew Sander

Re: Chicago GCAers - The Highlands of Elgin Oct. 17
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
It looks like Sunday should be quite nice. Maybe not as brilliant and warm as they were forecasting a few days ago, but still great weather for this time of year. I don't think I mentioned it in any of the other posts, but an FYI - the rates are $43 for those of us who plan to walk and $62 for those who may want a cart. It looks like those rates are not seasonal so $43 walking is a summer rate too, not bad for Chicagoland. I'll list the tee times again just as a reminder...see you on Sunday...

10:43
Pat Craig
Andrew Calcutt
Bill Seitz
Mark Smolens

10:52
Jim Colton
Jeff Tang
Jim Tang
Matt Sander

11:01
Chris Flamion
Zack Molnar
Jud Tigerman
Michael Baldwin

11:10
George Freeman
Sven Nilsen
Steve Salmen
Andrew Lewis

Thanks,
Matt

Bill Seitz

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2010, 12:10:18 AM »
Uh-oh.  If I'm in a group with Smolens I might have to reconsider.  ;D

Just kidding.  Kinda.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »
I saw that. Interesting comment in light of the fact that you haven't received your Wrigley tickets yet. . .

Jud_T

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2010, 01:54:23 PM »
If Zach tells anyone he's a 7, take your wallet and run....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2010, 04:14:24 PM »
If Zach tells anyone he's a 7, take your wallet and run....

I'll second that!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

PCCraig

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2010, 09:14:13 AM »
It was great seeing everyone yesterday in Elgin. A big thanks goes out to Matt for putting the event together. The course was very solid and the newer holes which played F&F and around the quarry were great.
H.P.S.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2010, 09:26:29 AM »
Thanks again to all who came out yesterday. It was a blast and the weather was glorious. From what I overheard post-round, the opinions of the course were very positive. The variety was exceptional as I don't recall many similar holes. There were holes with width/options and angles played a big part in the strategic interest as well. I've not played all of the publics in the area (including many of the local big boys), but I would have to imagine that The Highlands of Elgin ($43/walk year round) is near the top of the list for value.

I took several pics and will post later today or tomorrow.

George Freeman

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »
Thanks again, Matt!  Yesterday was a fun day.

Great meeting you.

- George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Matthew Sander

Re: The Highlands of Elgin Oct. 17 (Pics Added)
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2010, 05:27:14 PM »
16 local GCAers made our way out to The Highlands of Elgin yesterday for a round on a beautiful fall day. The Highlands is a Keith Foster* design (*correction, 8 of the holes were done by Foster w/ his design associate Art Schaupeter. Schaupeter should be credited with the most recent 10 holes) where 10 holes have been added to Foster's original 8 to create the current layout. Obviously, all of the opinions here are mine so I'd love to hear some of the others chime in if they'd like. The course is a positive addition to the local public offerings and is a departure from the typical Chicagoland parkland environment. Several of the new holes were routed around an old quarry site which made for some strong visuals and risk reward opportunities. The course played quite firm and fast (especially the new holes which have only been open since mid summer), which made the ground game available in many circumstances.

There are currently some knockout photo threads on the board (Fishers Island, Sagebrush, NGLA, Yale...), so don't expect this to rival those in any way. However, many on this site comment that we need more affordable, quality public golf. The Highlands of Elgin is a muni and $43 to walk all season, so this is a prime example of what can be offered. Mr. Foster (*see previous correction) has two such courses in the area, Shepherd's Crook being the other (I've not played there yet, but it gets very high praise from local GCAers), and both are munis.  

We played the combo tees black/gold for a yardage of 6786. The black tees stretch out to 7000, gold - 6365, silver - 5625, and white - 4901. Remember, many of the holes only opened this summer, so most of the ground under repair and turf issues you may see relate to grow in. Here are some photos...

Hole 2 (Par 5 522)

From the landing zone. The bunker complex fronting the green is set back a little creating some visual illusion. You can lay up short of these bunkers or lay up more aggressively left or right which will give you a better line of sight for your wedge.

A closer look at the front bunker

Room between the bunker and the green.

A view from behind the hole

Hole 3 (Par 4 383)

Several of the guys thought this was the best hole on the course and I agree with them. This view from the tee gives you an idea of the massive width of the playing corridor and the related options. Lay up short of the bunkers, hit a little more club left of the bunkers, blow it over the bunkers with driver, or take an aggressive line directly at the green. The drive directly at the green must carry 250 to cover the wetland and you must also avoid more wetland on the right.

This is what you have left when laying up short of the bunkers...

This is the view when you drive over the bunkers. This option leaves you a delicate pitch over the front left bunker to the green which isn't very receptive from this angle.

...or take a more aggressive line right of the bunkers leaving an open approach.

Hole 4 (Par 3 155)

This par three requires a mid or short iron to a wide green that has quite a bit of movement. The back left portion of the green (where this pin is positioned) runs away from the tee, making it difficult to stop shots short of the hole. Also there is a significant false front on the front left side of the green.

A view from behind the green

Hole 5 (Par 4 436)

Another in a sequence of really good holes. This tee shot again presents angles and options. The aggressive line is just left of the smokestacks in the distance. You can lay up short of the cross bunkers or drive to the right leaving a mid to long iron.

The view from short of the cross bunkers

If you successfully take the aggressive line you are rewarded with this straight forward approach

A view from behind

Hole 6 (Par 5 535)

This par 5 is uphill all the way. A tee shot over the corner will put you in position to possibly have a go in two, or you can play your tee shot out to the right and play as a three shot hole. Visually this is one of the more unappealing tee shots, but the interest of the hole comes later.

A first time player won't realize it, but laying up to the left hand side will leave you this...

...while a lay up down the right hand side will leave this view.

Once over the cross bunker this is what awaits...

A large green with an equally large swale running through the middle.

Hole 7 (Par 3 203)

This downhill par three can play as long as 254 yards. The Green is large, and in front the contours allow you to land the ball short and run it all the way to a back pin.

One of the long views from the 7th tee

Unfortunately, I didn't get any shots of the 8th hole. It is one of the quarry holes and requies a risk/reward tee shot which makes you decide how much quarry to carry.

Hole 10 (Par 4 395)

Downhill tee shot to a fairway protected by bunkers left and hazard right. A well struck driver may run through the fairway into the hazard, so a lay up is probably the safe play.

From the approach area. The hazard moves across the fairway diagonally and shouldn't interfere with your approach...

However, if you are in one of the left hand bunkers the hazard may give you second thoughts about playing to the green.

Hole 11 (Par 4 429)

From the tee this par 4 asks you how much quarry you want to attempt to carry.

By hugging the left side and flirting with the quarry you are rewarded with an open shot to the green, but playing a safer tee shot will leave a longer approach over the fronting bunkers.

Hole 12 (Par 5 530)

This tee is perched upon one of the highest points on the course. The drive is downhill to a fairway protected by bunkers right and long left.

A drive that finds trouble or is well back will leave the player a decision whether or not to cross the hazard with the lay up.

From here, the green is reachable in two...

Hole 13 (Par 4 310)

This is a reachable short par 4. A shot carrying the last bunker on the left can roll up onto or just short of the green. However, there are endless options for a lay up tee shot.

From the fairway after laying up down the left side.

Hole 15 (Par 3 166)

Par three with a green surrounded on 3 sides by water.

View of green from #2 tee

Hole 18 (Par 4 414)

A strong uphill finishing hole. The fairway is one of the widest on the course.

Uphill approach

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:54:33 PM by Matthew Sander »

Mark Smolens

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2010, 07:13:37 PM »
Matt, very nice photo montage. I enjoyed the course almost as much as the company, tho my partner's press on the 17th tee was perhaps ill-timed (as Mr. Seitz then feathered a 5-iron in there four feet, for his fifth birdie of the day >:(). Ah well, it's only beer. . .

Thanks again Matt for making the effort to put this outing together.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2010, 07:40:40 PM »
Matt, very nice photo montage. I enjoyed the course almost as much as the company, tho my partner's press on the 17th tee was perhaps ill-timed (as Mr. Seitz then feathered a 5-iron in there four feet, for his fifth birdie of the day >:(). Ah well, it's only beer. . .

I'm not sure what's tougher, making five birdies in a round, or making five birdies and still shooting 76?  Fortunately Pat was there to bail me out on some of the holes where I made big numbers.

For those who played and weren't aware, and for those viewing Matt's photos, holes 1, 2, 10, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 were playable last year (though they had a temporary green in the second fairway and played it as a par 3 followed by a par four as opposed to the current par five).  Holes 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, and 13 are the holes that just opened.  One could really tell the difference in that the brand new holes were very firm, while the older holes were a bit softer.  

And I'll add my thanks to Matt for organizing a great day of golf.  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:09:27 PM by Bill Seitz »

Jim Tang

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2010, 08:54:43 PM »
Matt -

Nice work on the pictures.  I had a very enjoyable day even though I was paired with Colton.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2010, 09:08:02 PM »
Oops.  Ignore this.

Jeff Tang

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2010, 09:45:35 PM »
Matt, great pictures.  I really enjoyed the course and it's very unique for the Chicago area given the quarry setting.  It's also probably one of the more strategic courses in the area which makes it a lot of fun to play.  Of the publics in the area it reminded me a bit of Prairie Landing with an absence of trees, the ground game being an option, angles being important, and some good risk / reward options.

I'm hopeful that they will keep the course firm but I think a lot of the firmness we saw probably had to do with the time of year and the course being new.  It will be interesting to see next year how the course plays and what their long term maintenance strategy is.

So bad it's good!

Jim Colton

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2010, 10:33:45 PM »

Jimbo, I enjoyed this picture of you. I believe you are and Bernie are trying to decide which creative way you'd like to try to make double this time.

Zack Molnar

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »
I will join to train in thanking Matt for putting all of this together. I had a great time, and the course was well above my expectations. It played quite firm, and was an excellent test from the back tees. It was great to meet some more Chicago GCAers, and I look forward to more great outings like this in the future.

Zack

Michael Baldwin

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2010, 10:17:28 AM »
I'll add my thanks to Matt as well.  It was my first get together with GCA folk and an immense pleasure to play golf with people who appreciate the design as much as the competition.  I hope it's the first of many.  I also hope Keith Foster continues to get opportunities to work on municipal land reclamation projects.  It seems to be an incredible value to the communities involved.

Michael

PCCraig

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »
Thanks for taking pictures Matt, I'm glad you did as I brought my camera but found it was out of battery on the first hole...

Some of my thoughts:

- I thought the newer holes were a ton of fun as they were playing very F&F. I agree they might not always play that way but you could tell with the shape of land that Foster at least thought of the ground game while designing.

- The course is a total steal at $43. While an hour from downtown, it's very worth a trip or two a year.

- I liked this course better than Shepherd's Crook, Foster's other course in (somewhat) nearby Zion. SC is a little more subtle and generally more quiet in my experience, allowing for some quick rounds, but the Highlands is a more interesting design IMO.

- I was surprised to see as much movement in the land as I did, besides the quarry. Some nice uphill / downhill holes which allowed for some fun blind shots into a few greens (unusual for a Chicago area public).

- The quarry was used often and makes for some dramatic tee shots. However I did find the "cape" style, risk-reward tee shots became a bit redundant.

- The greens had a good amount of slope in them and were very interesting.

- My favorite hole was either the 6th with the cool blind 2nd shot or the short 13th, both were very fun. While I wasn't a huge fan of the 10th hole...very squeezed in IMO.

- Kieth Foster needs to start getting more recognition on this board!
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »
Pat (and others):

Nice photos; it looks like a solid course. I'm struck in viewing some pics of Foster courses, how he creates interest around greens with recovery shots without overly relying on bunkers. I think you're right in that Foster, from what I've seen in pics of SCrook and this, has a keen interest in ground-game options.

Jud_T

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2010, 12:18:14 PM »
Phil,

You are correct about the ground game options.  I played bump and run shots on several holes.  Lets hope this wasn't simply the result of there being very little rainfall for the past few weeks in the area and that the course will continue to be maintained relatively f&f. Aside from the holes that played through the marsh area which I felt looked a bit out off place (15 & 16), this is a very solid layout and should easily jump into the top muni rankings.  A bigger course with a bit more teeth than Shepherd's Crook, the Highlands instantly jumps into my list of favorite public layouts in the Chicago area.  It was great to see everyone and meet some new guys.  Thanks again Matt for setting it up.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:21:53 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris Flamion

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
Thanks to Matt for setting it up...

I am surprised more isn't being said about the 3rd hole.  Middle bunkers with a play to the right of the bunkers being the direct play, but needing to flirt with the water/hazard to do so.  I thought it was a great hole that left a ton of options, especially in a match play environment.

I hope they keep everything very fast and firm as a number of holes at the far West of the Property were a bit soggy and those are the holes that have been around the longest.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back