News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Who will be the U.S. Captain in 2012?
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »
I would have said Davis Love III but he said a few weeks ago he wants to play in another one....I always thought Jeff Sluman would be a great captain (and a past PGA champ) and felt he should have been hired over Tom Lehman.

Doesn't seem like anyone is a clear cut favorite like Pavin was for this year's team

Thoughts?

Mike Sweeney

Re: Who will be the U.S. Captain in 2012?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:59:36 AM »
John Moore for Captain !!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:03:15 AM »
Well, if Dave Shivas Schmidt won't serve, then I suppose the other hometown boy, Sluman is a good pick.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

CJ Carder

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:04:17 AM »
Freddie C?  He's been groomed from the Prez Cup.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 11:05:16 AM »
 Freddie.

Per Ron Green, Jr (Charlotte Observer)

Couples Wants, Deserves Ryder Cup Captaincy

Like so many other players in the field at the Ensure Classic at Rock Barn Friday, Fred Couples wanted to know what was happening at the Ryder Cup in Wales.

Bernhard Langer, who was in the mix to be a captain's pick for the European team, said he was glad to be playing in the North Carolina sunshine rather than the rainy mess in Wales.

Tom Kite recalled his seven Ryder Cup experiences as a player and his captaincy at Valderamma in Spain in 1997 when rain also disrupted the proceedings.

Couples, meanwhile, liked hearing that the format had been altered due to the weather and that every player would be on the course on Saturday. He believes the Ryder Cup should be like the Presidents Cup where all the players play rather than creating awkward decisions about who sits and who plays in the Ryder Cup.

On Sunday, Couples turns 51 and he's had a great career but he still wants one thing -- he wants to be the U.S. Ryder Cup captain. He captained the victorious U.S. Presidents Cup team last fall and he'll do it again next year in Australia.

That's great but it's not the Ryder Cup.

Couples deserves to be Ryder Cup captain in 2012, though it may be unlikely given his Presidents Cup commitment.

"Sure," Couples said Friday when asked if he wanted to captain the Ryder Cup team. "But if it doesn't happen, I'll take my two chances with the Presidents Cup as a great time and a great honor and go from there."

When the PGA of America sits down to pick its next Ryder Cup captain, Fred Couples should be the easy answer.

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 11:07:29 AM »
This guy!  A Playing Captain!!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
The PGA tends to like former PGA Champions as captains of the Ryder Cup. With that in mind the likely candidates are Love or David Toms. Personally, I'd love to see Couples captain a Ryder Cup!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 11:08:32 AM »
This guy!  A Playing Captain!!

They won't give me enough shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Adam_Messix

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
The guy who really deserves to be captain is Larry Nelson.  Three time major champion, fantastic Ryder Cup record, and deserved it a long time ago but they had Kite and Crenshaw in mind to go back to back in 1997 and 99.  Unfortunately, he's not in touch with the tour anymore so it would be a tricky choice. 

Fred Couples really deserves it to, played in a lot of Cups and a guy that the players like and respect.  His President's Cup commitments make it tough to do though. 

The most likely choice is Davis Love, III.  Right age, PGA champion, made a clutch putt in the 1993 Ryder Cup. 

I think the choice of next European captain could be more interesting.  Looks like Olazabal would be a great choice particularly here in the U. S.  That would put Sandy Lyle in the Larry Nelson position of being a Ryder cup stalwart passed over for the captaincy. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:34:11 AM »
The PGA tends to like former PGA Champions as captains of the Ryder Cup. With that in mind the likely candidates are Love or David Toms. Personally, I'd love to see Couples captain a Ryder Cup!

"The PGA tends to like former PGA Champions as captains of the Ryder Cup."

Huh? Like Strange, Lehman, Kite and Pavin?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 11:39:55 AM »
I'd love to see Freddie head up the US squad!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 11:50:27 AM »
Jeff Sluman would make the most sense. He was an assistant this year and the event is in his backyard in 2012.

But knowing the PGA they will probably pick Davis Love...Corey Pavin part deux.
H.P.S.

JR Potts

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
I'd love to see Freddie head up the US squad!

Me too.  But, they'll end up picking DL-ZZZ.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:12 AM »
It'll probably be DL III, the bland leader of the band.  Maybe they can use the Dan Fogelberg song "the Leader of the Band" for the introduction ceremony.  Here's hoping he doesn't get divorced and marry his personal assistant and put her in charge of the outfits for the players...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim Bert

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:28 AM »
Jeff Overton

Jeff Zeagler

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »
My vote is that we pull Dave Stockton back off the shelf.  Maybe he can pass along a few putting pointers over the course of the week.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »
Couples would be good, I think he is the kind of guy who would get more out of guys like Mickelson. I think one of the reasons many Americans have struggled in the Ryder Cup is because it is structured to much by the Captain and the PGA of America. Most of the American players of today have structured routines but it's their routine. Give the players more freedom and then I think you see more out of Team USA.

Now I understand someone will read this and point out Azinger to me and how hands on he was but that team had such a differemt nucleus, it was a team without Tiger that was looked at as a bunch of muts.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 01:53:43 PM »
Couples would be good, I think he is the kind of guy who would get more out of guys like Mickelson. I think one of the reasons many Americans have struggled in the Ryder Cup is because it is structured to much by the Captain and the PGA of America. Most of the American players of today have structured routines but it's their routine. Give the players more freedom and then I think you see more out of Team USA.
I think this is an excellent point.  I thought that many of the Americans were way off their personal games on Sunday because of over "coaching" or "structure".

Niall C

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
If Mike Whittaker doesn't get it, I'd go for Nick Faldo, after all he won America the cup last time  :D

Niall

Michael Dugger

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 02:42:18 PM »
Has Hale Irwin ever captained?

Is being a repeat captain frowned upon?  If not, bring back Ben Crenshaw.

Put a little Funk in the event, make Fred Funk captain!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

George Pazin

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 03:16:01 PM »
Kinda sad how many people assume a quiet TV or on-course personality means you're somehow less than capable and automatically boring.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

ward peyronnin

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »
I vote for George Bahto to be Walker Cup captain in 2013

He knows NGLA as well as anyone
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »
If the people at the PGA had any sense at all, they would quickly announce that The Captainess will the one who will be taking the helm of the US Ryder Cup effort in 2012. You all bring up fine points about how Vice Captains are being groomed for the job and are natural successors. Well, what about a Captainess? Last time I checked, a "Captainess" outranks a mere "Vice Captain". In my mind, she is 0-0-0 and the blame for this defeat obviously falls at the feet of her husband. She can learn from her, well, mistakes (the whole player waterproof fiasco and the spiked heels choice for Friday's fourballs) and take solace in her victories (wore a fawn-coloured shawl-cum-poncho draped over a fawn-coloured sweater that looked, simply, devine) that do not show up on the scorecard.

She has shown remarkable dedication (according to her interview, she pulled "several all-nighters a week during the months leading up to the event) and pride (take note of the red, white and blue flag and crucifix as the only clothes/accessories in her picture on the magazine cover) and is not afraid to throw convention to the wind (can you believe she went with a chiffon dress on Thursday evening's ball?!?!).

The Captainess for 2012!!!!
Very hard to argue with Mr. Cronan on this one. A flawless pitch for the "captainess" in 2012.

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 03:59:27 PM »
let paul azinger have another go and see if his ''pod'' sytem works next time

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back