News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Re: Who Won The Ryder Cup This Year
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 07:32:22 PM »
Europe won.  Is that what you wanted to hear Melvyn?  It turned out to be a great competition.  Freakin' McDowell was amazing.  How did that putt on 16 go in the hole?  Fowler...CLUTCH!!!  It was really fun to watch.  Really fun!

Congrats all you Euro's...you earned that one!!! 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 08:43:07 PM »

It’s great to see that a sense of humour does exist on this site, albeit clearly limited to a hand full of members apparently.

As for the golf, all things considered I thought it was rather good and the behaviour was not bad either. As for the conditions, well if you select Wales, like Ireland it’s is prone to rather wet weather. As for the course, it’s not my type and I feel that the selection process should have been a little more critical, but then it depends upon what was actually wanted.

Tom as for apple, tree and Old Tom, I hope your preparation work prior to routing a course is far more detailed. Because you know very little about Old Tom and even less about me to come up with your comment. That last point may have been easily resolved if you had bothered to respond to my past e-mails, which I now realise was a pointless exercise on my behalf.

Melvyn 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »
Wales, like Ireland it’s is prone to rather wet weather

Melvyn

Could that not be said for any course in GB&I at this time of year ?

Steve Lang

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 09:01:24 PM »
 8) I'm not sure i care, but a win is a win, 14.5 to 13.5... good show.

just a half point would have made a world of difference..

perhaps more importantly, the Jr Ryder cup composed of young amatuers was easily won by the US squad

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 10:20:54 PM »
Melvyn,

I believe it was the time with the members who regularly play on the PGA Tour...

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »
Melyvn:

What this thread of yours and your posts on it tells me is you're a stump-brained, nationalistic, jingoistic asshole and an embarrassment to the memory of Old Tom Morris and that you are also perhaps the most inarticulate contributor this website has ever known.

Other than that---what's NEW?  ;)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 11:20:14 PM »

Tom P

Sounds to me that you are looking into a mirror when you typed your comment – after all you have a very high posting record over the rest of us, but alas not on the big picture just that of your own world.

The purpose of this topic was to see if people would answer a very simple question, who won. Why couldn’t the majority just answer the question, why start on about Old Tom, I never mentioned him, most of my posts have been simple responses to comments made by others.

Win or lose, it matters little, it’s how you react to the outcome that defines a sportsman, what does that say about some of you?

Melvyn

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »
Melvyn,

Was Sam Torrance the last Scotsman to play in a Ryder Cup side?

Do you think we wee Scots helped Americans gain their freedom via The Auld Alliance with the Frenchies?

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 04:34:15 AM »
One of the joys of being a citizen of both the United Kingdom and the United States is that my team never loses the Ryder Cup. ;)

JVB

You have 24 players to root for as well?  Its a lovely position to be in, but I always root especially for Miguel Angel Jimenez.  I love this guy even if I need a translator to understand his English.  To me, he is the top winner this week.  It was wonderful to see him win a few points and set fire to half of Cuba.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:42:02 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mark Pearce

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 05:44:29 AM »
Why do so many on here insist on feeding trolls, whoever they are?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

PCCraig

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »
Win or lose, it matters little, it’s how you react to the outcome that defines a sportsman, what does that say about some of you?

Melvyn

Oh - because starting a thread in order to gloat a victory to others on the board is a proper way to "react"... ::)

It was a fun match to watch with generally good play by both sides (including your old buddy Tiger who seems to be rounding into form) and overall the sportsmanship was very admirable from both sides. Of course none of your posts on this thread reflect this...as it seems once again you're more interested in stiring the pot than actually making a contribution to the discussion board.
H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 09:53:39 AM »

Pat

You are just wonderful.  I must remember to thank God for your existence. You give me strength to fight the good fight, you open my eyes to the case of the under privileged, you allow me to tolerate the unfortunates who just do not know any better.

Thank you for your input

Melvyn

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »
In all seriousness, I had clubhouse passes to the '95 Ryder Cup, but on the Euro side.  When the US and Curtis Strange fell apart on the Sunday singles, given how emotional the matches were, it was very hard for us few Americans in the room to stand up and be gracious in defeat.  The Euros were very gracious in victory that day, as well.

That is what it is supposed to be all about, so maybe peace on earth and the brotherhood of man really won.

I do sense a little bit of lesser interest in the Ryder Cup in the USA these days, given the Euro dominance over the last 13 matches.  Does anyone else feel that, too?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Greg Krueger

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
Melvyn, I think this thread is very funny! Europe played great and the US made it exciting at the end. So I will leave you with this, since we all know what a super sense of humor you have. 25-12-1 ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 11:01:36 AM »

It would seem a face to face meeting is the order of the day. A basis to observe the unknown to see the facial tones and expressions set against the comments. Yet that will probably never happen.

I asked a question, an open and honest question which I knew the answer. I took great care in selecting the icon coming down on a big grin, not a wink or any other cheeky reaction but a simple grin. A sign of pleasure an outward grin, but no that’s not what you guys want to hear you want me to rub your faces in it, well sorry I’m not like that.

Those who bother to actually read my posts will see that I am keen on open honest play, winning is nice but it’s the way you conduct yourself that gives (for me) the most enjoyment. To be able to say ‘I did my uttermost, I played my heart out’, is as important as winning. Of course to win would be great but to know I did my best is what matters to me and many of us on this side of the pond.

All I was expecting was comments on the game with the confirmation that Europe won.  As for Europe, I am not a European, I do not agree with the EU, our people are too diverse to come together under an already flawed corrupt concept. As for the Golf I was just pleased for Monty who has had some poor press of late.

A simple answer was all I was seeking, yet some are more than happy to try and throw my family back in my face because you did not understand, nor bothered enough to find out, simple reaction is to attack.

Gentlemen,  I believe that portrays more about your failings than mine. Some of you seriously need a humour bypass and ASAP.

Yet I still have my grin, the golf was good, the location questionable but after the challenges they faced over the week-end, all I will say is good for you Monty.

Melvyn

Carl Nichols

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »
Melvyn:
I got that this was a joke.  Not quite as funny as seeing your captain jogging/jiggling down one of the holes near the end of the matches, but a joke nonetheless.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »

It seems that I am not the only one that is misunderstood on this site. Perhaps you will take a minute or two to read the following article from today’s newspaper. It is a radio transcript of a conversation from 1995 between The Canadians and The USA Navy. I trust that the article is self-explanatory

While I am accused of many things on this site perhaps I may be rather innocent compared with some.

Melvyn

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 12:23:09 PM »
I think it is easier to say who lost............Sun Mountain and Belding golf bags...........

Brad I

Adam Clayman

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 12:28:20 PM »
Brad, You stole my exact post. Verbatim! Thanks.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »

It seems that I am not the only one that is misunderstood on this site. Perhaps you will take a minute or two to read the following article from today’s newspaper. It is a radio transcript of a conversation from 1995 between The Canadians and The USA Navy. I trust that the article is self-explanatory

Melvyn

http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jim Hoak

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 12:32:42 PM »
This may sound like sour grapes, but I felt this way before the event--
I think the Ryder Cup is a stupid, meaningless event.  Even as a golf fanatic, I watched none of it.  It is over-analyzed and over-hyped.  
Between the weather, the poor golf course, the time differences, the change in the format mid-stream, the Johnny Miller performance, the true answer is that no one won--certainly not the game of golf.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »
I watched over ten hours of coverage. I thought it was time well spent. It was stirring international competition between gentlemen (maybe Jeff Overton pushed that definition a bit) that concluded with high drama and good sportsmanship on both sides.

Say what you will about the style of course or golf, those were real pressure-packed putts holed by Ricky Fowler and Graeme McDowell. That was genuine anguish experienced by Hunter Mahan. It was clearly more than a golf tournament, and meant more than a paycheck. Where else do you find that on TV?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

JohnV

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »
One of the joys of being a citizen of both the United Kingdom and the United States is that my team never loses the Ryder Cup. ;)

Does that not mean that your team always loses ?? ;)

I'm an optimist so the glass is always half full. ;D

Tim Pitner

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2010, 06:57:01 PM »
I watched over ten hours of coverage. I thought it was time well spent. It was stirring international competition between gentlemen (maybe Jeff Overton pushed that definition a bit) that concluded with high drama and good sportsmanship on both sides.

Say what you will about the style of course or golf, those were real pressure-packed putts holed by Ricky Fowler and Graeme McDowell. That was genuine anguish experienced by Hunter Mahan. It was clearly more than a golf tournament, and meant more than a paycheck. Where else do you find that on TV?

Well said.  I don't understand why some people are so grumpy about the Ryder Cup.  Yes, it was unfortunate about the weather (I like the customary format that allows some people to play 5 matches) and I was far from wowed by the course, but it was very compelling.  No other event in golf (and few in sport in general) evokes that level of passion from the players and fans.  And it's great to see match play.   

Carl Nichols

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »
Rick, Tim-
Agree 100% -- though I could've done with about 50 fewer "boom babies" from the announcers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back