News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Tom Paul...finally figured it out
« on: October 01, 2010, 10:20:58 AM »
Since first meeting Tom Paul I have always felt I had seen him before....plus I always came away humming moon river....

At Mountain ridge someone told me..." The dude looks like Andy Williams"  that's it... does anyone else see that?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Michael Blake

Re: Tom Paul...finally figured it out
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
I'd say more like Charlie Rose.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:33:16 AM »
You guys aren't even close,

It's Christopher Plummer

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:34:44 AM »
Mike:

I certainly have heard that before and particularly when I get a haircut which I get about twice a year, if that. I am one of those guys who every day is a hair problem day and so I never have figured out what to do with it!  ;)

You know, about 40 years ago I was walking through the Zurich airport and to my amazement coming the other way at me was Audrey Hepburn. She was with her husband, Mel Ferrer and both of them were all decked out in biege with a bunch of little dogs who were biege too. She stopped and looked at me and said: "You're the guy who sings "Moon River" aren't you?"

As with any big time stars who ask me a question I just said; "Who wants to know?"

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »

Tom – thanks for the photo but I see the anger management does not seem to be working.

I expect the green comes from the knowledge that golf started in Scotland not American – but a little consolation at least you have some big balls (although they may also be green) ;)

Melvyn

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:46:48 AM »
Melvyn:

Actually I admit it----I have some very similiar characteristics to the great C.B. Macdonald in that I am virtually incapable of suffering fools lightly! ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 10:50:01 AM »
Laura thinks Mr. Paul resembles Burt Bacharach.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 10:55:56 AM »
Laura thinks Mr. Paul resembles Burt Bacharach.

I can see a little of that....he stayed at my house one or two nites during a Masters and my wife thought he favored Liberace...but now she agrees on AW
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 11:00:57 AM »

Tom

Remind me about CBM  - he was taught about Golf at St Andrews – I believe it was my family through Old & You Tom, James Hunter who taught CBM how to play the game, although no one mentioned teaching him how to design. Hence the 25 year break before he attempted some design work of his own, which – correct me if I am wrong – he copied from existing GB holes anyway.  ::)

Don’t you just love these guys who put forward THEIR ideas on the back of other established designs, but then that life.  ;)

Did I say Green suits you  ;D

Have a nice day

Melvyn

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 11:05:40 AM »
Melvyn,

I think you've posted on the wrong thread. ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »
"Laura thinks Mr. Paul resembles Burt Bacharach."

Oh for God's Sake! Tell Laura I am actually the only real human chameleon anyone has ever seen and I can resemble anyone anytime I want to given the circumstances!!

Actually, that was really put to the test about thirty years ago here in Philadelphia. It was a warm summer night and I had a big party to go to in Philly so I felt it was a good idea to ride my Harley 1000 special low-rider that looked like a Vincent Black Shadow in there.

I can't remember now where I was but for some reason I decided to ride home through the 'hood in West Philly. I'm bombing down Market Street under the "L" about 1  in the morning and even though I was probably over the legal limit by a factor of about 11 I decided it would be appropriate to stop in somewhere for a few more drinks.

I spotted some colorful lights and I launched the Harley over the curb and onto the sidewalk and went in. A lot of really loud music and one of those mirrored light balls sending blinding light all over the place. Unfortunately all I could see was a sea of black faces examining me---the only pale face in the establishment.

Do you think I backed outta there carefully? Of course not!! I just spotted the prettiest black gal in there and went right up to her and asked her to dance. The next think I knew one of the brothers had a medium length sword poking in my chest as he asked me if I was trying to hussle his gal.

I can't remember what happened next----but all I can tell you is I'm still alive and I actually got that Harley home to the farm that night somehow!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:13:48 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 11:16:05 AM »
"Melvyn,

I think you've posted on the wrong thread.  ;D"

Patrick:

That's actually the story of Melvyn's life----don't you know?  ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 11:21:12 AM »
Tom,
Laura thinks a resemblance to Bachrach is a good thing :)

And she reads everything here at GCA.com.

PS - I'm glad you survived that night!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
I was disappointed that Tom Paul wasn't at Mountain Ridge but at least I got to introduce myself to Ben Crenshaw!

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »

Pat & Tom

Why do you guys not read the previous replies, as my comment was just a response to Tom's comment about CBM

Melvyn

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 11:26:28 AM »
Bogey:

You know I once mentioned to Ben that people said that. I think he just blew some smoke in my face and I blew some right back in his!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
So, who is TEP really?  Vote on who TEP really looks like, if not IS when he is not using some nome d'plume here on GCA.com

TEP receiving adulation from his subjects

TEP as MC at the winter gathering in his Farm man cave.

TEP that night dancing in the hood

TEP on a panel symposium on Merion's origins

TEP riding on a Vespa in Rome with his squeeze Aud,

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:25:15 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »
RJ:

You know one time back in the 1960s a bunch of us went out to Detroit--Grosse Point actually for this big deb party out there. There was so little time we all got dressed in the Tuxedos and such in New York and caught the plane. We got picked up by one of the first RVs I ever saw and taken right to the party.

They had the usual musical fare---I think it was Peter Duchin who we saw so often he was our friend. He played the usual formal musical fare for that kind of thing back then such as Tea for Two and Scotch and Soda and stuff but then we heard there was going to be a special musical treat.

After a while he and his band cleared the stage and someone announced to the party to belly up to the stage. Me and my girlfriend who was one of the most knowledgeable on everything to do with Rock and Roll were right up against the stage and to everyone's surprise out came Dinah Ross and the Supremes.

At that time they were at the very peak of their popularity----arguably the most popular group in the country or the world. Dinah Ross came up and sung right at the edge of the stage and right over me and my girlfriend. She had that wonderful style and body movement of hers (which Beyonce completely nailed in the movie about the Supremes). She would sing and every now and then just look right down at us two for a while. They took a break and about two minutes later here she was standing right next to us. I mention it because she was about the nicest person I ever saw and certainly for a big star. She told my girl friend that she was watching her and that she could really sing and dance and she ought to get up and sing with them on their next set. She also told us to not look at her too closely because they had literally just come off the road to that party and they knew they looked a bit rough around the edges.

Those were the Glory Days for sure!  ;)

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »
 8) TEP will always be an enigma to me, only The Shadow knows.. more

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 01:06:01 PM »
Kelly:

For people from my era Bruce was just some young upstart not to be taken that seriously.  ;)

We were all pretty much from the old school of Rock and Roll  that basically lasted through MoTown and Berry Gordie! The Beatles and the early English invasion was cool but after Altamount it all ended for me and a lot of my friends. The next wave seemed like they were too self-consumed, dirty or just self created freaks who took themselves and what they wrote and said and thought too damn seriously. To most of us from that earlier era it seemed like music and everything about it and around it just stopped being fun like it once was.

We were pretty innocent I guess compared to what came later but one thing was sure true to say----we could really dream even if it was pretty unspoken or subtle.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »
Uh oh - I just got back from a fine lunch at Chez Wendy's.  Laura pitched a Clint Eastwood resemblance!

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »
Hey, Kelly, speaking about music of an era, have you ever heard of the Brill Building and what was turned out of it and how for music back in the day?

The thing that really fascinates me now is learning more about how the artists back then came up with their ideas for both the music and the lyrics. If someone hasn't seen it already on that I would highly recommend that award winning play of about 4-5 years ago that is still running called Jersey Boys. It's just so good and a lot of it goes into what that life in music was like and also how and where the writers and composers came up with their ideas.

For instance, where The Four Seasons' Gaudio came up with the idea for Big Girls Don't Cry is just so cool and so funny. The same goes for Oh What a Night!

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 01:24:48 PM »
" Laura pitched a Clint Eastwood resemblance!"

Well, I do own a .45 with a pretty long barrel.  ;)

By the way, isn't it amazing what a guy who allowed himself to get so typecast and famous in the Spaghetti Western and Dirty Harry genre ended up doing later with supreme variety in both acting, directing and producing?

Dan, in your life who has been your favorite actor, male or female? Or should I say who do you think is the best? My top list is actually pretty deep and getting deeper all the time.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
Favorite actor?- Jimmy Stewart.

I once had the honor of attending a college lecture at SUNY/Buffalo by Frank Capra (met him afterward too).  What a wonderful man.  He had such a great professional relationship with Stewart too (Mr. Smith, It's a Wonderful Life, etc).

But Eastwood really surprised me - I really enjoyed Gran Torino because of his acting and direction.

tomgoutman

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 10:37:01 PM »
Enough about Tom Paul. What famous person does Mayday Malone look like?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back