News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Hardelot is a 1930s Tom Simpson course just south of Boulogne near Calais on France's Channel coast.

The great bunker placement and well-chosen greensites that Simpson is known for are present, but several holes are choked by trees, particularly the par three 5th and 17th holes.

There's lesser land in the middle of the back nine, but the small amounts of interest in the ground are well used to build excitement - along with some great bunkering and tricky greens.

It's infinitely playable, moreso than London's heathland gems due to the absence of heather, and the undulating sand terrain and towering pines make it a great place to play golf.

Also, it rained Biblically the day before I played, yet at 8am the next moning it was not only dry but very firm under foot. Bloody impressive as I had been worried the course might be sluggish, or even worse -  closed.

90mins or so from Paris, 45mins from Calais, the great resort town of Le Touquet (with its Colt and Hutchinson courses) just 15mins away, €75 midweek summer green fees... there really is no reason for UK golfers to stay on the boring side of the Channel all the time.

1st
We kick off with a par five, a bold cross bunker dominating the fairway, to be carried on the second shot. At the green the course's theme of significant undulation fronting the putting surface is seen for the first time.

2nd
Another par five, more reachable than the first, though a drive that puts you in range will render the two-tier green blind behind the large bunker set into the dune, while a shorter drive leaves it all out there in front of you.

3rd
A gentle dogleg to the left mid-length par four with plenty of movement in the green and another bold bunker short right.

4th
The bunker front right dominates the hole's strategy and has wonderful rugged aesthetics. Likely a mid to short iron approach shot.

5th
The first par three (117m from memory, I've shipped my scorecards and yardage book home) and the first hole where tree encroachment really jumps out at you, blocking the right-hand bunker and stopping the bunkering from dominating the eye the way it does on 13 at Worplesdon or 17 at Swinley, for instance.

6th
Tall pines line the left with bold dunes down the RHS out of bounds line. The "sperm" bunker in the fairway is just the start of the great sand hazards, and it needs to be flirted with to take the trap short right of the green out of play.

7th
A tiny par three, we played it at 95m, over cavernous bunkers, requiring perfect distance control on less than a full shot. Great to see such a short hole.

8th
A fantastic driving hole over exposed sand on the dunes that roll in from either side to a fairway that is much wider than it looks. The green sits propped up and the wedge you're likely to have in your hand on the approach needs to be pinpoint as the green surrounds will fend the ball away.

9th
Straight into the rising sun, so the pics are bad. A shortish (340m ish?) par four over some imposing bunkers, the hole then doglegging left to a plateau green partially hidden behind pines that appear to have encroached, making the short iron in uncomfortable, but not in a good way.

10th
A steep dune fronts the green of this genuine three-shot par five, forming the major feature of the hole.

11th
280m from the back, bending left as it climbs the hill, the deep trap short right meaning it's wise to play to your reliable wedge distance, as a weak half wedge in will be severely punished.

12th
150-odd-metres and slightly downhill, a ridge coming in diagonally from the front right and running down the left of the green. That combines with the circular bunker in front to make a running approach tricky. My 27-marker dad hit a high 3 wood to 3ft to give me my highlight of the day. Part of Hardelot's massive appeal is that it doesn't bash lesser players around... they will struggle with the shots that are called for at the green, but there's nothing terrifying or straight-up intimidating.

13th
A flat ground par five that utilises great bunkering to make you think.

14th
A mid-iron par three, with a false front making short pins uncomfortable.

15th
A funny little short par four. Only 270m or so as the crow flies. The green is behind the "V" in the trees just right of the bunker in the fairway. A bold drive over that drop in the trees leaves a flick up the hill to a wild green.

16th
The only undulation on this reachable par five comes at the green, but it's a great plateau surface with a fronting bunker, making it tough to run a long club on. Great green makes a potentially plain hole really interesting.

17th
The longest of the par threes at 168m (give or take a metre or two maybe) over an exposed sand dune to a green that drops away hard to the left. Trees encroach on the right, again taking away from the natural fear of the hole.

18th
This used to be a short five (making seven three-shotters for the course!!) but now it's the longest par four on the course. The green flows beautifully out of the left, making it a tough closing par.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:28:46 PM by Scott Warren »

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Hardelot (Les Pins) - Tom Simpson on France's Channel coast (PICS)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »
Awesome.

Thanks for this, Scott. The more I see of Tom Simpson's work, the more impressed I am. Really neat stuff.

Spending a month (or more) studying Simpson courses - just - in France seems like a dream.
jeffmingay.com

JNC Lyon

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 11:03:39 PM »
Scott,

The course looks awesome, very understated with lots of cool ground contours.  These are the types of courses I miss most in US golf.  I've played since I've been back that uses the ground like that: Leatherstocking.  Hardelot looks like a lot of fun to play.

Is this a course Sean Arble would like? I think so.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 03:16:39 AM »
This was the course that made me the Tom Simpson fan I am, even though when I played it I was right at the beginning of my learning curve for GCA detail...

Looking at those photos now, I'd love to get back... But as you say, there appears to be some tree-encroachment... And not just on the holes you mention... I probably didn't notice that at the time

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 03:34:14 AM »
Scott,

I always thought my wife was one of the best when it comes to being happy for me to play golf, but your Kerry has just out done her! You must have been playing here only a couple of days after getting married?  ;D

A great set of pictures that make the course look delightful! The par 3s look an excellent set and the bunkering looks pretty cool as well, especially the "sperm" bunker!

Ally,

Baltray was the course that made me a Tom Simpson fan, but I can't say I've seen that much of his work? Scott's photos make me want to correct that!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 03:38:54 AM »
Scott

Thanks for the pics.  I think the course looks very, very good.  Are the other courses nearby as appealing?  If so, I may have to consider a trip to Frogland.  BUT, the trees look to be much more than a slight irritation.  It looks like they would block out a lot of sunlight (would it get any sun in the winter down the Manhattan-like alleys?) to large sections of the course and make it ever so difficult to grow fine grasses.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 04:00:46 AM »
Sean,

Some of those holes without the trees would be somuch better... The approach to 9... The cape bunker at 15... I seemed to remember there being a lullin the middle of the back nine but those photos don't seem to indicate it... Probably my ignorance at the time...

James,

I am a very big fan of Baltray and I did play it before Hardelot (just)... But I think Baltray shows off Simpson genius in most aspects but is not so representative of his bunker style and positioning that I like so much... I think Hardelot awakened that side in me...

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 04:49:08 AM »
Johnny L: It's a course Sean Arble would like because it's a course I would defy anyone to dislike. The setting is as good as anything in the UK, the architecture is bold without going over the top, there is nothing that will really jump out and smack you in the head, there is great variety, lots of short grass around the greens, the green fee is reasonable... Also, I love playing golf with my dad because it's cool to see how a high handicapper (he generally shoots 105 or so) handles the course, and he was never disheartened at Hardelot, yet I always felt challenged. There's also a good few "par four-and-a-half" holes and some fun short par threes and fours.

Ally: My first Simpson course was New Zealand, which hooked me, then Baltray just blew it wide open. The way I understand it, Simpson did a lot of work on The Berkshire, though Fowler gets credit, and now Hardelot. If I had to choose one designer to play for the rest of my life right now it would be Simpson.

James: What can I say? I am indeed a lucky guy. I had no idea I was playing until 36hrs before. It was entirely unplanned (which meant I had to play in trainers and with rental clubs, but still...).

Sean: I also played Colt's La Mer curse at Le Touquet and, some narrowness and a couple of pedestrian holes aside, I think that is definitely your kind of golf course (I have pics, but half are on my old man's camera, so getting them might take a while. I'll put them up in time). The same bloke owns the Hardelot and Le Touquet courses so there are likely green fee and play&stay deals to be had. The sunlight call is right on. We teed off at 8.15am and didn't get much direct sunlight until the 9th, as you can see from the pics.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 05:09:37 AM »

Ally: My first Simpson course was New Zealand, which hooked me, then Baltray just blew it wide open. The way I understand it, Simpson did a lot of work on The Berkshire, though Fowler gets credit, and now Hardelot. If I had to choose one designer to play for the rest of my life right now it would be Simpson.

Scott,

I have played or walked most of the Surrey / Berkshire heathland courses... Noticeable exceptions are Swinley and The Addington... However, it is New Zealand that I most want to see... I keep on almost managing to arrange to get there...

Mark McKeever

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »
Despite a few extra trees on some of the holes the bunkering and gentle terrain look great.  The green complexes seem to flow well with the rest of the course.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »
This is a fantastic course and what you see on these pics is probably the worst condition you could ever catch it in. I've played it in glorious sunshine, firm and fast - a complete dream. And I still maintain that tree encroachment isn't much of a problem at Hardelot. Yes, on some holes a visual advantage might ensue from cutting a few down, but this course is eminently playable - much more so than scores of open terrain courses with their thick rough or water features.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:07:13 AM »
Great news that Frank Pont is doing some work at Hardelot on tree removal, bunkering and greens.

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Hardelot-restoration-gathers-pace/2407/Default.aspx

Going through my pictures again just now has made my week. It really is a magical place, great golf course and only going to get even better with the work that is being done.

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:21:30 AM »
Flights? Eurostar to Calais or Lille and an easy drive of about an hour.

Le Touquet is a great town at night, too. Definitely keep at your mates to go there some other time. Well worth it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:24:46 AM by Scott Warren »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »
Scott:

More evidence that Simpson is the most under-rated architect in history.

Thanks so much.

Bart

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:39:55 AM »
Love the roly poly land.

I'm assuming it doesn't feel as claustrophobic as it looks.

Bart's probably right on with his observation. Simpson is overlooked by many or most even on here.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:44:44 AM »
And to think I grew up about 2 hours away and ... never checked it out.

About the only thing I ever did for Le Touquet was check out the annual motocross race of "L'Enduro Du Touquet".

One Day...

Other courses besides the obvious of Morfontaine that catch my interest are Granville and ... Chiberta.  Chiberta seems blessed with fantastic land.

Thanks for resurfacing as I'm pretty interested as well in seeing the progress being made by Frank Pont and his team.  Good stuff.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
Good call to start on the 5th, there was a lot of light to be gained for the green and the tree right in front of the great greenside bunker was useless. I'd say the 2nd hole is next or perhaps the 7th, whose putting surface also needs some air.

Hardelot already plays plenty firm and fast, so introducing fescue probably wouldn't be a high priority for me.

Ulrich

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »
I agree on the 7th, Ulrich, not least of all to let the bunkering dominate the eye. Currently the sand short fights for attention with the trees.

The hillside short right of 9 green is another priority, imo, as well as the trees blocking the drive bunker at the 15th and encroaching on the fantastic par three 17th.

Bart B: I agree he's tremendously underrated, perhaps because not as much of his work remains, but Simpson was an absolute genius and an artist. And I've not even played his best courses in France!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
Scott,

the 17th looks tight, but I think the playing characteristics are not compromised. I do realise that cutting down the trees on the right side could create an additional bail-out area or maybe a ground game option, but I am not at all sure whether that would be a good idea strategically. Short right of the 9th green - well, you shouldn't be confronted with that target if you had played a sensible shot off the tee. At #15 I am not long enough to carry the bunker, therefore I don't mind the trees too much.

So, while I agree with all your sentiments, they wouldn't be first priorities to me. I really only feel that play for average golfers is impeded a bit on the 2nd, which is too tight. Or, in other words, it speaks to the genius of Tom Simpson that even gross neglect over a long period of time could not destroy his shot values or spoil the fun of playing.

Ulrich

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »
Great photos Scott

I am taking a group to France in July

In Paris we are playing Fontainebleau, St Germaine, Chantilly and National and St Nom De La Breteche

The Le Touquet both and Hardelot Les Pins. Looking very much to the coastal courses and these just whets the appetite more.

The differences between your photo of 5 and the after photo are impressive, great looking changes

Any little bars in Le Touquet you would recommend?

Frank Pont

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »

Hole 5 of Hardelot Les Pins as it was before we started

Hole 5 after removing lost of trees & shrubs and restoring the bunkers to their original style

Next step is to start mowing out the green closer to the extreme edges of the bunker to get more exciting pin positions

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 06:25:04 PM »
Wow! Now that is a golf hole!!!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 06:32:28 PM »

Nice job Scott. His work at Cruden Bay is my favorite.

Anthony

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »
Mike,

Nice effect for shuffling the before and after like this.  Very cool...
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »
Andrew,

Le Touquet is a great town. Can't remember anything in particular to recommend to you food/drink-wise, but everywhere we went was top-notch.

We had a great small world moment with the starter at Le Touquet as we approached and started speaking in bad French and he replied in a broad Aussie accent with "Are you from Australia?" We quickly discovered that he is from the same suburb as my folks, about three streets away!

Hardelot is a real surprise packet, but your entire trip sounds incredible.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back