News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Thoughts on GCA/Pat Mucci meeting at Mountain Ridge Sept. 27
« on: September 28, 2010, 06:28:44 AM »
Mountain Ridge CC in NJ was amazing, and despite steady rain all day we all came away impressed by the Ross greens as dramatically restored re-expanded by Ron Prichard. The club served amazing fare all day, as well, thank you. But the most amazing thing of all was the fact that in defeating Mucci 3&2 in a grudge match, Ran Morrissett managed to wear white slacks (the only one in the field of 100 who dared to) and came away unscathed by any mud, dirt or grass stains, looking as nattily attired at the end as he had started. The rest of us looked like drenched rug rats.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:19:19 AM by Brad Klein »

Adam Clayman

Re: Thoughts on GCA/Pat Mucci meeting at Mountain Ridge Sept. 27
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:01:19 AM »
Besides being impressed with the course, it's conditions, and Mr. Prichard's green expansions, I was awfully impressed with how well Mr. Mucci was able to run the entire event. I have been to "Professionally" run events that could not hold a candle to the way everything was done properly and smoothly.

It was great seeing and meeting many of the names I've seen on here for over a decade. The only regret was not meeting everyone and spending mre time with each one, getting to know them, in person.

The change of having the Super speak after the round was genius. Even with the wrinkle of having to alter the program in an attempt to beat the rain, didn't phase the flow of the program.

Thank you Pat Mucci, and, Mountain Ridge, for putting on, and running such a tremendous Monday gathering.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:08:27 AM »
Mountain La..err..Ridge oddly seems to suffer from an identity problem.  ;)

Joe Bausch suggested it be renamed to "Runupandmarkit" CC, which I suggested might pass off as an old Indian name.

Very fun day...thank you Patrick!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:35:57 AM by MCirba »

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:21:10 AM »
The event sounds like it was a blast.  I only have 2 questions:

1.  Do Pat Mucci's words come out of his mouth in the color green?

2.  Did anyone have a smoke with Tom Paul's chauffeur to get the real story behind the man?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:35:35 AM »
Tom was under deep cover in a long trenchcoat and snappy Jim Colbert style hat.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:43:26 AM »
Thank you Pat for a wonderful day.  Unfortunately I had to get back to family matters in DC and could not stay after golf.  Our caddie explained that the members of Mountain Ridge win every net event when visiting another club and I can understand that after experiencing those greens.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:52:45 AM »
I am sorry that I was unable to attend yesterday, but I did enjoy playing Sunday with Mike Young and his buddy Woody and Bill Steele during the "Mike Young Looking for Old Dead Guys and Sleeping in Hotels with Doors on the Inside Tour."

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »
After a dinner with Mike Young and Ian Andrew the night before, Mt Ridge turned out the be one of the best golf related days in a long time!  

Pat Mucci's generosity and true love of the game was/is palpable.  

The morning of great speakers was fantastic and only to be over shadowed by, and this is no exaggeration, what I would consider a Top 15-20 set of greens in the country.....they really are fantastic.  And by no means am I taking away from the rest of the course either.

Ron Prichard really stepped up and was bold in his renovation at Mt Ridge, especially with the greens.  I can not imagine how intimidating these greens where 80 years ago.  So many shelves and run offs and small ledges in the corners for pin placements.  Just amazing work.

Also amazing was that in a total downpour to see the ball bounce head high when it lands...how cool is that!  What a great time hanging out with everyone.

Kudos to Pat for hosting the event.  Kudos to Mt Ridge and its staff and kudos to Ran for putting this site together that has attracted all these guys that have a passion for the game.

GCA.com has NOT jumped any sharks!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:31:13 AM by Chip Gaskins »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:18:30 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

That's not Mountain Ridge.

What course is it ?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:26:09 AM »
After a dinner with Mike Young and Ian Andrew the night before, Mt Ridge turned out the be one of the best golf related days in a long time! 

What did Mike Young do with Woody!!??

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:28:58 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

What course is it ?

that is #9 at Dellwood.

Pat - Sorry I had to cancel out last minute, sounds like a great time.

Mike Sweeney - curious to hear your thoughts on my home course Dellwood.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

What course is it ?

that is #9 at Dellwood.

Pat - Sorry I had to cancel out last minute, sounds like a great time.

Mike Sweeney - curious to hear your thoughts on my home course Dellwood.

Lenny,

I did not mean to distract from Pat's outing, just taking a poke at Mike Young (and Woody).

I will post pictures in a week or so after I touch base with Phil Young, but in a nutshell, I was surprised at how much I liked it. Awesome greens. Reminded me of Yale 10-15 years ago in terms of potential.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:04:08 PM by Mike Sweeney »

tomgoutman

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 10:40:08 PM »
Pat, thank you very much. A wonderful event!!!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »
I just strained major muscle groups in my back and legs repeatedly kicking myownself in the behind for missing this event.  The photos by Joe and the many thanks to Pat along with the account of the speakers presentations sounds like this was the golf event of the year.

I am puzzled however by Pat's obsession and some sort of ongoing fierce one sided competition seemingly in his own mind with such a mild mannered fellow like Ran, and this need to best him in this most casual and othewise sociable of ball and stick games.    ;) ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »
RJ,

You and the "Sarge" should have joined us.

Ran and I have a special competition between us.

We've been enjoying it for years.

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 12:23:52 AM »
RJ:

Ran Morrissett does appear to be mild-mannered but that medium sized leather Cabot Links golf bag of his actually doubles as a rather large holster.

Frankly, when I asked him on the 11th or 12th hole how his match stood he said he wasn't exactly sure but he thought he was beating the North Jersey patter outta Mucci and then he asked me if I thought that was bad etiquette with the host of the event. But before I could answer he cracked up in that familiar mirthfulness of the Morrissett manner.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 05:30:10 PM »
A question I would pose to those who attended, as well as those who would have liked to attend, is,

Would you like to return for a similar event next year, a little earlier in September ?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »
A question I would pose to those who attended, as well as those who would have liked to attend, is,

Would you like to return for a similar event next year, a little earlier in September ?

Pat, as one who missed your kind generosity, I say YES!  The sooner the date gets set, the better.

Bart

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 05:43:08 PM »
Pat, I think it is safe to say, and assume, that you throw one hell of an event. Anyone and everyone of those who inhabit this forum would want to attend a gathering of this type. Scheduling being the only obstacle.

In the words of The Huckster,"If you plan it they will come".
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark McKeever

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 10:40:30 AM »

Sure would Pat!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John Shimony

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »
Mr. Mucci, sounds like you put on a fun and informative event.  Congrats.  I live in Philly and very much regret that I dd not attend.  If there is one next year count me in.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Glen Rapoport

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »
Thank you Pat and to the folks at Mtn Ridge for a terrrific day....the plan was adjusted because of the rain and having the Super speak after we played the course was a serendipitous treat.  I still can't get over that those were Poa surfaces we putted on..he should give a seminar with all the particulars on how to maintain that level of green 'surface' in the Northeast...especially with the heat we had this summer.....BRILLIANT.

As far as a return trip next year....SURE.....it would be a treat.

Best to you

Glen

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 12:21:36 PM »
As much as one can plan on something that far away, if the good lord willing and the creek don't rise...  ::) ;D 8)

As for the timing, I have always loved to go somewhere in fall, although the photos seem like you were a little ahead of peak color for your area.  But, I've even enjoyed Dixie cups in the south in the past that were in the fall.  I would think the later in fall you push it up in your area, the easier it would be for clubs to accomodate such a gathering, and you just takes your chances with weather, rain, cold windy...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rick Sides

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »
Pat,
Count me in too!  Mountain Ridge was one of the nicest courses I have played on and the entire event was first-class!

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »

Yes, yes and yes. With more stories of some of your dad's matches from back in the day.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back